Spoilers DTI: Forgotten History by C. L. Bennett Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Apr 15, 2012.

?

Rate Forgotten History.

1. Outstanding

58 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. Above Average

41 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Below Average

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Poor

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Yeah, I honestly just copy the link from the S&S website and then it's up to them to fix it :).

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was pretty sure that was what you did, but I just thought it was worth warning people it doesn't work... at least for me.

4. RPJOB

RPJOB Commander Red Shirt

I second the call for Christopher to return to Titan. Martin's just not doing it for me. The Gum Nebula was turning out to be a fascinating place and I really want to get back out there and do some exploring. You know, new worlds and all that.

5. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm really excited. For me, this is the most anticipated Trek novel of 2012. I loved Watching the Clock, and I can't wait to see what Christopher has done in this latest outing.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll join the chorus and state that Forgotten History is among the Trek books I'm most anticipating this year. I am also very excited about the time frame selected for this novel as well. Christopher has stated he'd like to maybe move on to something else after this one but I still uphold my suggestion from the Watching the Clock thread that I would seriously LOVE LOVE LOVE an Uptime book starring Jenna Noi. As much as I liked Garica and the other characters, and obviously our two stars, I fell in love with Jenna Noi as a character. One of the best characters I think Chris has handled as a writer. So fascinating and I loved her banter with the DTI gang. So yeah I know I'll be holding out for the possibility of an Uptime book still :)

7. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Christopher will this involve that much complicated science as the last one?

8. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh yeah, I'll second this one.

It would be neat and quite difficult I'd imagine to do a Trek book from the Uptime perspective. but I'd love it.

9. cml898

cml898 Lieutenant Red Shirt

For the first time in awhile I'm all caught up in my Trek lit so bring this one on! I tell you there is not a single monthly title left this year I'm not super excited about. The first DTI book was great and I'm sure this follow-up will delight me just as much.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not quite as much. I needed to lay the groundwork in Watching the Clock, but now that that's done, I don't need to repeat it.

11. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Thank godness. I might be able to comprehend most of it this time.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too.

13. MHJH

MHJH Lieutenant Red Shirt

I believe the two Temporal Investigations agents reference that Kirk had seventeen separate violations on his record in the DS9 episode. Think we'll get a complete accounting of those, drawn from both Canon and lit sources?

14. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

like when he did a slingshot manoeuvre to prevent himself spilling his coffee over komack.

15. Christopher

No, I left room for a few more. Who knows, after all, when another writer may come up with another Kirk time travel story?

16. MHJH

MHJH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Makes sense, considering Cox just did it a couple of months ago.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the idea that...

Miri's Earth could be a parallel timeline version, not just a copy, of the real Earth. I've seen that idea explored in fanfic as well as this. And I didn't even consider that what we saw on Omega IV might be the result of items left behind by a previous visit, just like Iotia was.

18. Christopher

Wow, that's a very long excerpt. That's over a fifth of the book.

The idea about Miri's Earth is one I had a long time ago, and the only one that seemed to make sense to me. As for Omega IV, I used to have this convoluted theory about WWIII refugee sleeper ships that got flung back in time, but a couple of years ago I realized the points I brought up in the book -- one, that we were never actually told the American artifacts were ancient, we just assumed it; and two, they were in such good condition that they couldn't actually be very old at all. And in my history studies in college, I did come across cases where something that observers assumed to be an ancient custom of a "native" civilization was actually a recent adoption.

19. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

I absolutely cannot wait to grab this book! I've been wanting more DTI novels since reading Watching the Clock!

20. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We've been lucky that's for sure. I'm so flipping behind, only half-way through That Which Divides & What Jusgements Come. Need to lock myself away for a weekend to catch up.