DSL MODEM + WIRELESS ROUTER

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by FUTURE, Aug 21, 2008.

1. FUTURE

FUTURE Cadet Newbie

i am on aol and was supplied with a USB BT 105 voyager modem and everything was fine until i was told because i use windows Me that i would need to use a modem router to connect to the internet and they supplied me with a thomson speed touch st545 v6 modem router with 4 ports.

question is can i use the router/modem by connecting it to the telephone line and then inserting a second line from one of the 4 ports from the router to the dsl modem telephone line input and use the USB modem as before?

reason is direct connection of the router via LAN means i must connect throu aol clunky interface which is a resource hog and if i use the aol dialler it just slows the pc and connection so much it becomes useless.

could the modems become damaged by this arrangement?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

You can't use it like that, because the phone line connector is different to the network cable connector.
    I don't see why you would need to use AOL to connect to the router, which should have an always on connection anyway.

3. FUTURE

FUTURE Cadet Newbie

connector is same.

if i dont log in then connection via aol dialler or inter explorer is very very very slow.only by logging into aol browser is speed normal.

also if i use xp hard drive on same pc then i need to connect the dsl modem.

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

The phone line connector and the network connector aren't the same, they look similar but the network one is larger. As for AOL, I don't really have a clue about it, because I've never used it for broadband, but I'd assume that so long as your router is connected it would work without their browser open...