Spoilers DSC: Drastic Measures by Dayton Ward Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by tomswift2002, Jan 30, 2018.

?

Rate Drastic Measures

1. Outstanding

26.1%
  2. Above Average

50.0%
  3. Average

13.0%
  4. Below Average

8.7%
  5. Poor

2.2%
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if we will ever find out exactly who those people (from the ending) are...

2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably in a future book. Since it was in a novel and not on the show seems to indicate that they are truly done with Lorca on the show and that his story will now be told in novel form.

3. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not necessarily -- even the TV show seemed to leave open the possibility of Prime Lorca's survival (as producer Ted Sullivan himself said on After Trek, paraphrased, "If you didn't see a body, they ain't dead"), and I couldn't imagine the show's production team not wanting to some day bring Jason Isaacs back to the screen if the right opportunity presents itself.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  4. Mr. Laser Beam

^ agreed. Long live ReguLorca!

XCV330 likes this.
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, Prime Lorca's fate seems like to big of a thing to leave to the books.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  6. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

if anything the production team and Isaacs have been pretty canny about the whole thing. I don't think he'd be a regular cast member for season 2, but it would not surprise me if we see him towards the end or at least by 3.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

I have a theory on who the captors are:

They are citizens of the Empire - not rebels - who are of a faction that opposes Empress Georgiou. They think ReguLorca is his MU counterpart and are thus skeptical of him, but ultimately want to use him to gain the throne.

Leto_II likes this.
  8. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

It's Mister Oz. Duh. Next to him, they got Red Robin captured!

9. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's pretty much my theory, too. Or, at least,
    some faction who opposes the Empress in some, yet-to-be-revealed, fashion.

10. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

That would work.

11. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. I'm just over 1/3 into it, and (especially after Goodman seemingly went out of his way, in the Kirk "autobiography," to shred every precedent on the subject that wasn't established in canon) pleasantly surprised with Dayton Ward's take on Tarsus IV.

12. hbquikcomjamesl

I liked it, overall. Managed to cover the Conscience of the King backstory rather well, managing to tie up every loose end, including how Kodos managed to escape justice by faking his own death. While it appears to have cleaved more to Goodman than to, say, Ferguson or Carey, at least it doesn't quite so openly contradict Ferguson or Carey.

With neither the bandwidth nor the iron (nor the desire to expand either one) at home to watch DSC until it comes out on physical media (or gets rebroadcast on a channel I can get on DirecTV), I'm a bit fuzzy on how the DSC novels connect to the DSC series, but I doubt that DSC will remain confined to a paid streaming service forever, and until I actually see the series, I can continue to treat the novels as being in the same vein as, say, SCE or NF.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Basically they're just prequel stories that, at least in the first two cases, cross over Discovery characters with TOS characters or events -- a teamup with Pike's Enterprise in the first book, the main DSC captains dealing with Tarsus IV in the second. I guess the idea was to establish that, however different it looks, DSC shares a continuity with TOS.

14. hbquikcomjamesl

Yes, from the follow-up I've done in Mα and Mβ, I gather as much. The fuzzy part is the matter of who's who. The bizarre part is reading (in the Mα and Mβ articles about Lorca) that Mirror Universe transpositions are turning up pre-TOS.

Ye vish, the lowercase alpha looks awful in the font TrekBBS is being rendered in, at least on my "Bionic Desk Lamp" iMac at home.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  15. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

When did Carey cover Tarsus IV?

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Memory Beta says it's mentioned in Final Frontier, but a Google Books search turns up no mention of it there. Perhaps hb is thinking of Greg Cox's Enterprise Logs Tarsus IV story that uses Carey's version of Robert April's Enterprise crew.

17. hbquikcomjamesl

Passing references only. No actual coverage; as I recall, it was young Kirk's motivation for turning juvenile delinquent at the beginning of Best Destiny.

DEWLine likes this.
  18. BuckBokaiLondonKings

BuckBokaiLondonKings Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Ah man that "post-credit” scene was awesome! I really hope that is followed up either in the books or the show!

19. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Just skimmed what's there on Google Books (so, fair warning, it may be incomplete), but it doesn't look there's enough to contradict. It does indicate that George Kirk was off-planet, but Winona was there.

Also Carey manages to fold Kodos into one of her libertarian screeds.

20. hbquikcomjamesl

True. Although looking at Google Books, I see there's more than I'd thought there was.

And Mr. Cox, please forgive me, "Though Hell Should Bar the Way" had completely slipped my mind. (To be fair, though, when I was ranting and railing against Goodman some months ago, it took me several days to find what he was contradicting (i.e., Ferguson's A Flag Full of Stars).

I think I'll take advantage of the current TrekLit famine, and re-read "Though Hell . . . ", Best Destiny, and A Flag . . . .

And yes, Carey does manage to over-politicize everything in sight.