DS9 Season 10, ep 10x20 - "In the Stars" (part 1 of 3)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by DS9Continuing, May 27, 2012.

1. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A vedek? I know Kira is religious, but it struck me that she fancied a family some time. I'm thinking of that time when she was babysitting the O'Brien's son and she said something about wanting a child of her own.

2. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, Bajoran religious figures aren't required to be celibate or unmarried or even particularly restrained. We know Opaka had a family, and Bareil was certainly sexually active. The one doesn't necessarily preclude the other. I just think Kira has other things on her mind right now.

What I found unusual about that development was that I was under the impression that Vedek was a title like Bishop - a senior priest who actually led a congregation. Bareil and Winn both referred to their Orders, as if referring to different denominations that had different interpretations of the prophecies within the larger church. That doesn't strike me as the kind of thing Kira would be interested in. As religious as she is, she doesn't actively preach, she just believes. I can't really see her at the front of the shrine actually leading the service.

3. Ln X

On second thoughts Kira becoming involved in one of Bajor's religious orders makes sense. But you are right about your last point. From her discussion with Kai Winn (where Winn admitted she had a vision from the Pah Wraiths) I thought Kira was deeply spiritual but reluctant to tell others how to believe in the Prophets. So Kira being a vedek? Being a vedek implies a position of power and I personally thought Kira was a rather humble person and quite selfless. Kira and politics do not mix!

4. Ln X

Crikey! I sort of forget Opaka had a family!