Dream a Dream: Hardcopy of E-book Exclusives

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Stevil2001, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

It appears more likely they chose not to fill available slots with any such reprints, because there have been copious “open slots” over the last couple years.

ryan123450 likes this.
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You're forgetting that Pocket's license expired and there was a delay in renewing it. So, no, there were no "available slots" at all. And since then, I'm pretty sure they've filled every slot that was available to them. Just because the books came out once a month in the past, that doesn't mean that's automatically guaranteed to be the case all the time. Pocket published only about 6 Trek novels per year for most of the '80s, then jumped up to one per month when TNG came along, then jumped to two per month when Voyager came along, then eventually dropped back down to one per month.

Anyway, with the line getting a new start, and with the move to trade paperback format, it should be obvious why they want to fill the available slots with new books instead of reprints.

3. Daddy Todd

Yes, thank you Christopher, I’m quite aware of Pocket’s publishing history, having been buying new Trek books upon publication for close to 50 years.

However, “slots” are where publishers make them. Had they wanted to, they could’ve put multiple “fix-up” MMPB’s into the pipeline before the contract expired, or done a special deal (as I assume they did with the Discovery titles that came out during the drought.) But they didn’t. It’s not unreasonable to assume they didn’t because they chose not to.

TheAlmanac likes this.
  4. Christopher

I never said otherwise. On the contrary, I was responding to Allyn's speculation that there may have been some contractual ban on doing the reprints. What I said was that was they were potentially on the table, that there was no formal restriction preventing their publication. Presumably the interest just wasn't there.

5. Daddy Todd

If you were responding to Allyn, why did you quote me?

6. Christopher

Huh? I replied to Allyn, then you replied to me, and I replied back to you. If you can't remember something that happened yesterday, just scroll up to the top of the page and reread the posts. It's all still right there.

7. Daddy Todd

Well, I’m quoting you in post #21, which you quoted in a reply (#22) which reply I quoted (#23) then in post #24, you say you’re replying to Allyn. Can you see why I’m going “Allyn? Huh?”

8. Christopher

Good grief. Go back to the previous page and read post #20.