Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Unreal has a whole host of color grading post process settings, but it's all very manual. There aren't any presets or filters, unless they're available via third parties. I'll have to look into that.

2. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Email sent

Donny likes this.
  3. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember those flag designs. I was never completely happy with them when I did them. Someone at the time said the actual set pieces were scraps of cloth, so I guess these make more sense than that.

Lt. Washburn likes this.
  4. Donny

Wasn't the red, white, and blue flag a Cuban flag? I rather like what you came up with for that (obviously ;))

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

That’s why it looks so familiar!

Fun fact: the Cuban flag is based off a Masonic apron turned sideways. The only other country in the world other than the US, to my knowledge, founded by Freemasons. Perhaps the Federation is its spiritual successor...

Professor Moriarty likes this.
  6. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

Donny, you have the goose-neck viewers with brass colored necks but some of the reference images look distinctly silver. Was the brassy look because they got sprayed yellow at some point, or perhaps from lighting/filmstock?

7. Donny

Really? Hmm. I don't have any reference images in which they appear silver. They look like brass to me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Galileo7 likes this.
  8. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow! Your Leonard Nimoy looks amazing! Number One isn't bad but I think your Tyler might need a little work.

/runs.

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What bridge station is directly behind Tyler in the top photo there? It all looks a little off. Is that a result of the command/helm being offline with the viewscreen?

GNDN18 likes this.
  10. Donny

That’s the Environment station, which would mean they rotated the helm 108 degrees for that shot.

Funny guy! ;) All kidding aside, I really wish I had the chops to make high quality characters and likenesses so I could populate my bridges appropriately. It’s just an entirely other discipline that I just don’t have the time to sink into. I mean, I can model uniforms to fit stock bodies, but faces are just beyond me. And I also would want these characters to match the quality I’ve set forth by my environments. Sigh.

Well, ladies and gents, I’m headed to Star Trek: Las Vegas for the week! When I get back in going to continue working on converting my TOS Enterprise model to its pilot configuration (specifically, the way it appeared in WNMHGB) which shouldn’t take more than a few days. After that I want to work on a couple of fun, quick projects involving some TOS-era ships that aren’t the Enterprise!

11. Tallguy

Man this would be a fantastic time to drop everything and head to Vegas.

12. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That shot of Tyler is very nice. Intresting they could rotate it so much and keep it all powered up.
    Your difficulty with faces reminds me of Odo.

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

My guess is there are just some stingers (extension cords) that power all the lights.

14. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

One option, although expensive, is to use something like https://www.3dscanstore.com/. The problem is to then turn a premade character model into something that accurately resembles a TOS character.

15. Donny

Totally. I’d have to at least give those characters some period-appropriate hairstyles in addition to sculpting the uniforms. And from what I hear from character artists I work with, hair is one of the most difficult parts to get right. So yeah, it’s a time sink any way I look at it. One that I’m not sure I’m willing to take on myself.

If I could find an equally passionate and detail oriented character artist willing to join this passion project, I’d be set. No luck as of yet.

16. Tallguy

I'm not pushing you into anything you don't want to do / don't have time for, but for an artist of your sense of shape, technical abilities and, let's face it, speed, I bet you could level up on this pretty quickly.

Plus, as a working professional: Skill!

I mean, Leonard is just a lumpier poseable Burke chair!

Donny, Professor Moriarty and Tomalak like this.
  17. Lt. Washburn

Look at the two 1st pilot behind-the-scenes photos on your Flickr, of the bridge and the helm in the transporter room. They look silver there, which makes me think they were spray-painted gold perhaps before filming?

18. Donny

Ahh. I see. Both of those behind the scenes photos are colored poorly so I wouldn’t give them much weight. But to me they still look brass in those photos, but very faintly. I doubt they were repainted. Just poor quality of photos.

Lt. Washburn likes this.
  19. Lt. Washburn

Fair enough.

20. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Yeah, even Data had trouble with it. ;)

unification-part-ii-hd-295.jpg