Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Jaw drops

2. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seeing your work combined together in that vid is a truly immersive experience. More! More!

3. John Sinclair

John Sinclair Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Donny your work is amazing! I really like the way you updated the Officer's Lounge to TWOK style.

4. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Been working on a rebuild of my TOS bridge using a lot of updated material and modeling techniques. Real quick, guys. What do you think about this updated ceiling design?
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: Here's the last iteration below, so you can see the general improvements as well:
    [​IMG]

5. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a biiiiiiig ceiling light. It's not quite how I imagine it, but it is the one area where you have complete artistic freedom.

6. Donny

I've always struggled with the bridge ceiling, but I try and do a different design each time I've built the bridge. This newest version is inspired by design elements of the Enterprise exterior. The "light" dome feels like it's part of the bridge dome on the exterior model of the Enterprise.

This is my favorite direction thus far, but definitely may tweak it before I'm settled.

Jesse1066 likes this.
  7. TOMFAN

TOMFAN Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I like it!

That's what I was about to say as well, almost as if it is mirroring the outside!

8. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it works well, stylistically.

It also accounts for those two episodes where we saw glimpses of the ceiling and it was flat grey!

9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Definitely prefer the brighter look - the second pic has my vote. But for the sake of canon, the dome really should be that bumpy stun-phaser thing seen in TAS. ;) :p

10. Donny

I'm noticing that the images appear a lot less bright on my work computer and my phone, as opposed to my home computer. Hmm. I need to remedy this, as I definitely don't want the bridge to look overly dark. I actually want to be able to change the lighting in-game, from a brighter "normal" look as seen in most episodes, to a darker, more atmospheric look seen in other episodes.

Also, what TAS thing are you talking about?

11. John Sinclair

John Sinclair Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My first impression was "that's way to big!!!" but after comparing both pictures I like it

12. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the TAS episode "Beyond the Farthest Star" they showed the ceiling of the bridge.
    [​IMG]

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I actually tried doing a cursory search for this on TrekCore and couldn't find it right away - will need to dig deeper, but there was an episode where this big dome thing slid down out of the bridge ceiling with tiny little mini-hemispheres all over it, almost like an "inverse" golf ball. It was an automated security system that stunned any intruders trying to take unauthorized control of the bridge. Someone instead took that over and started trying to stun legitimate bridge personnel. I'm thinking it might be "Practical Joker", where the ships computer basically caught a "virus" and started acted wonky and borderline sociopathic, but I'll have to verify that.

Edit: Ninja'd by @feek61. Got it confused with another episode "Beyond the Farthest Star". Human memory is such a flawed thing. Thanks very much for the confirmation! :)

14. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I like that large ceiling light, it has the right look and feel to it, fits the whole design/architectural style.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  15. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

I think it definitely matches the style. It fits well with the exterior dome and the refit Enterprise bubble. Though I wonder how you could set up the ceiling to match the lighting from the studio lights on the bridge.

16. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks Great Donny

17. pfontaine2

pfontaine2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What's the odd, protruding rib along the curved bulkhead just above the main view-screen? Looks strange to me and would love to know the thought behind it.

I love the model but I can't quite wrap my head around the big white dome for a ceiling. I understand your rationale behind it but it seems awfully big and very low and seems as if it would have been visible on the show if the bridge were truly designed that way.

It does solve one problem which is where the illumination for the conn and navigation/helm stations are. Given the "practical" lighting the bridge seemed to have, that middle area would have been the darkest part of the bridge while all the individual stations would have been lit from directly above. Having a large light source like this makes sense but it does look jarring to me.

Nonetheless, your modeling and renderings are really stunning! Congratulations.

18. aridas sofia

aridas sofia Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if you've seen these screencaps before but the dome was seen a few times. Not the center if it (except in The Cage, from outside the ship), but the rest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The giant glowing convex light is oppressive. It's like a giant eyeball.

20. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the dome. As others have noted it's a nice mirror to the outside of the ship and definitely fits the TOS esthetic. But it does seem a little over powering.