Donny's Late TNG Era Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Jan 31, 2021.

1. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles Patron Saint of Dangerous Driving Premium Member

I'm in awe. That's simply amazing. :eek:

SolarisOne and Donny like this.
  2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought they only used that early design in a Nemesis shield display and for the Playmates FC ship

3. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't it used on all the graphics, even the new engineering pool table in Insurrection?

4. cardinal biggles

The graphic Donny recreated was used in all three movies, though the side profile of the ship in the shield display animation does show the final version of the warp nacelles (link).

SolarisOne, Workbee and Tomalak like this.
  5. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

It was used all over the place, and even the MSD on the bridge was based on an early side view.

6. NCC-73515

That one always looked correct to me

7. Donny

Busted out a couple more over the last two days; easy ones in comparison to the circuitry scan but time-consuming nonetheless.

The second one has some star names that don't make sense (many are the name of planets, and then we have things like an "Altair" and "Altair IV" in the same frame, which would suggest a star and a planet of that star separated by many many lightyears?). But I was just following the actual graphic used on the shows/movies. :shrug:

It's nice to see the screens filled out now (placement not final). About halfway done with the screens before I start on the final piece of the pie: the MSD.
    [​IMG]

8. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

Altair IV is the titular Forbidden Planet. It's likely a gag.

9. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

Your graphics says Altair VI but you typed Altair IV. Altair IV is the titular Forbidden Planet.

Anyway, they are just using names they know. These panels are full of gags and references. No one was ever expected to actually read them, really.

SolarisOne, BK613 and StarCruiser like this.
  10. Flux Capacitor

Flux Capacitor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:eek:
    That seriously looks like a photo of the set. I can only imagine what that looks like with the graphics in motion. Amazing work.

publiusr, SolarisOne and QuinnTV like this.
  11. batboy853

batboy853 Commander Red Shirt

One thing that always bugged me about this set, they have a 4 inch lcars screen next to a 19 inch lcars screen. The tiny display is where bridge officers play pac-man when the captain's not looking.

12. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know i'm several days late here but I love the thought of including easter eggs - the curved CRT screens - for whomever will eventually play this game. Make them all flat but maybe pick one or two that will get special attention, to be CRT.

13. Workbee

Workbee Commander Red Shirt

Amazing work Donny. I didn't realize just how intricate those graphics were. It is crazy weird seeing your console with all the graphics in them. Looks just like a production still!

14. NCC-73515

The TOS bridge in Captain's Chair was full of little games XD

15. Donny

Good news everyone! Doug Drexler was kind enough to provide his Illustrator file of the Sovereign MSD for use in my project (I reached out and asked). Which means I'm saving what could possibly be weeks of work of having to create a screen-accurate MSD myself. His illustrator files is immaculate, however, there are a few differences with how the MSD appeared on-screen, so I'll have to make some adjustments here and there to compensate. Mainly blacking out the turboshafts, shifting colors slightly, and taking out the gradients he used to give some objects form. I'll also have to simulate the on-set physical animations that were used as well. But still, creating the MSD myself from scratch would have taken WEEKS, if I was going to get it as accurate as I like to get things. I'll also be honest: it's not something I would particularly enjoy doing, especially after spending a few weeks now on LCARS. I'd rather be modeling/texturing So, yeah! Glad that Doug has helped me out!

Anyway, I haven't done any work on the MSD yet because I want to finish up the monitor animations first, so here are two more, one of which features an unmodified Sovereign MSD, courtesy of Mr. Drexler.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021 at 8:55 AM
  16. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

That's awesome! Doug is one of the good guys.

QuinnTV, Donny, blssdwlf and 3 others like this.
  17. cardinal biggles

Very cool! I wonder, would it be possible to use that MSD to help create the animated display in the Insurrection turbolift?

Donny likes this.
  18. BK613

BK613 Commodore Commodore

That is awesome. I'm assuming that the Ultra Level Backup Protocol has been initiated? IOW, a copy placed on every HD, thumb drive, portable drive and cloud service you have access to. Because that is gold-pressed latinum there.

Donny and blssdwlf like this.
  19. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It was probably a basis for that display, though modified; the animation actually loops indefinitely, traveling down an infinitely-long cross-section of the ship, so they didn’t have to worry about the trip precisely matching the length of the conversation (and, IIRC, according to their notes on the E-E, Picard’s quarters were only one deck away from the reception lounge).

cardinal biggles and Donny like this.
  20. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

That's because he's basically one of 'us'...

Tomalak, Ryan Thomas Riddle and Donny like this.