Donny's B'rel-Class Bridge

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Decided to start work on a one-off project this last week featuring the bridge of the B'rel-class Klingon Bird-of-Prey, which is something I've always wanted to model. Here's a quick teaser image:

[​IMG]

Enjoy! More to come soon!

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome! =D

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles I AM A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

An excellent start. Will this version have Klaa's periscope or the helm with giant steering wheel from TUC?

4. Donny

I had a hard time deciding exactly which BOP bridge I was going to depict, but I finally settled on how it looked as the Rotarran's bridge from DS9. Partly because I have more reference for this particular bridge than the others (set schematics).

5. Donny

Realized I didn't really answer your question. Since it's the Rotarran's configuration, no. It will not have the periscope or the helm wheel.

6. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't recall a steering wheel. I always liked the periscope idea though - it seems very Klingon for the captain alone to have the glory of the kill.

Great start Donny! Have you got the Haynes book?

7. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles I AM A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

My memory sucks is what it is. In TUC, Nick Meyer had them take out the periscope, but added a small standing helmsman's station right behind Chang's command chair. There's no wheel though, because that would be silly, even for all the nautical flourishes Meyer likes to add to his Trek movies.

8. Donny

I do! But I'm using it for reference for the bridge less that I thought I would. I'm heavily relying on some set schematics of the DS9 era set of the BOP bridge, and screenshots (all low-res, unfortunately) from DS9.

However, I have one of those old Quicktime VR files from The Captain's Chair CD-ROM of the bridge as it was featured in Generations for some of the up-close details.

I'd love to throw in the periscope for this bridge, but unfortunately the way the ceiling is set up, it doesn't really allow for it's storage.

9. Tomalak

I always wanted Captain's Chair! It probably wasn't as good as I imagined as a 12 year old though.

10. Donny

I never could get it, or the Interactice TNG Technical Manual, running on my modern computer. However, I was able to copy the QuickTime VR files from the CD and open them in QuickTime. They just aren't interactive.

11. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember the day I bought a CD rom drive and threw in the Tech Manual (which BARELY ran on my computer). My computer came up with an LCARS display and Majel started talking to me. Wow. Best day ever!

12. Donny

Unfortunately, real life got in the way for a while and I had to move across town. So I haven't had much time to devote to any of my personal projects. However, this weekend I was able to model the Klingon bridge crew chair, seen below:

[​IMG]

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  13. Tomalak

Looks great! Was that chair originally built for Star Trek IV?

14. Donny

I don't think so. We don't get a very good look at the crew chairs in IV, but they appear at least similar. The backs of the chairs have an additional slant in them, and the "car seats" they contained were different. It would appear that the chairs used in IV were seen in some random Klingon locations in TNG.

Skimming over my references, it would appear this exact model of the chair didn't appear until the Generations depiction of the BoP bridge, as we don't get a good look at any crew chairs in V or VI, if there are any present at all (in V it would appear there are some basic stools used for seating). The DS9 BoP bridge set was a redress of the Generations bridge, however the set was considerably shortened and all brought down to one flat level, instead of the multiple levels seen in Generations. My guess is that the chairs used in Generations were based off of the previous model built in IV, but with one slant for the back of the chair and additional greebles planted on.

Ugh. I just realized I looked WAY too into your question. ;-)

15. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Nice job modeling. But I still have to wonder, as I do every time I look at Sci-Fi chairs like these.... why all the greeblies? What is all that crap supposed to even do?

--Alex

16. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, there's the personal flotation device, the emergency airtank, the hardlight holographic girlfriend...

17. Tomalak

Ha! I appreciate it. I assumed it dated from either TVH or TFF, as I thought most Klingon bridges were at least partly based off those.

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Don't forget the waste reclamation device and electric ass-wiper. :D

19. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why? Maybe I was trying to. Those Klingon guys are weird, not having bathrooms separated from their duty stations.:ack::barf:

20. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Well, seeing that the only toilet we've ever seen in Trek was once in TFF (maybe Enterprise?) it's clear to me that all species of the galaxy have had their rectums genetically removed by the 24th century. :whistle: