Doing college online ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kira Nerys, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am considering going to college online what are some of the pitfalls of working full time,which I do ,family responsibilites and recreation time .Is there anyone that has managed to pull it off ? I would appreciate anyone's insight .

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

OK - let's get the bad stuff out of the way first - doing a course on-line or part-time is more difficult that full-time study, the completion rates are far lower. So, if you want to do a course, you need to maximise your chances of completing it.

Have a look at your schedule - where can you fit it in? Can you fit it in? If you do decide to do it, the best way to do it is to try and ensure that as best as possible you have a fixed time each week when you work on assignments. You explain to family and friends that this course is really important to do and hopefully they will understand that during that time you need to concentrate.

I did a PhD part-time and the hardest bit of it was going people to understand that when I was working on it, I simply was not available to them "could you...?" "no" - obviously this is more difficult if you have small children.

Yes you still have to be able to do the work, but if you can put that structure in place, that time every week that you will work on it - it's much easier to cope with. Even if it's (I don't know what the course is - so I don't know how demanding it is) 30 minutes a morning - it's all time that will progress you towards your goal.

Also see if the course provides a mechanism for on-line students to communicate to each other - a talk forum, a site, whatever. It can be a great help to have other people on the course to talk to about assignments and the workload.

If it doesn't - there are plenty of us here who have either a) completed part-time/long-distance study or b) taught on such courses - so shout out.

I've done a) PhD (part-time) and b) I was a Prof. of organisational management before I decided I liked bags of cash more than students. You shout out when you get stuck and I'm sure plenty of us will be happy to provide advice and guidance.

3. Ashu

Ashu Vice Admiral Admiral

I know quite a few people who can pull that off going to school full time, I go to class with them every day (well, weekends aside).

So I dont see why you cant do it part time, aside from the fact that it does have its downsides. If I were in your position Id probably try and go the full time route, just to get it out of the way because depending on what you plan on doing, part time could take forever.

4. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I took three online classes last summer and worked full-time. I thought that it was pretty easy, but they were intro classes. It was nice that all I had to do was turn in the assignments by a certain time and not worry about a set "class time".

5. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

Why the hell would you want to?? You'd deprive yourself of such a great experience.

6. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would just advise being careful. The last couple semesters, most of my classes were online, so it is doable, but it brings a new series of risks to the table. Since you don't actually go to class, it is that much easier to put off assignments or readings until it is almost too late. Also, it can be easy to miss a due date simply because you don't have someone reminding you every day to turn something in. It also takes a fair amount of skill with computers and the internet.
    The biggest thing I would warn you about is getting help. Some teachers may put their phone numbers up, but most of the time you are stuck trying to get help over email. This can be much more difficult than getting help live, and if you have a problem with putting the assignments or readings off until the last second, you very well could not receive help in time.

7. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been taking night classes these last few years. My school offers some online stuff and I have taken two such classes (you can't graduate with it exclusively) and frankly I've found it more troublesome than it's worth. For me, comprehension was more difficult. I'd rather hear lectures than read a textbook in its entirety. Frankly I just don't have the self-discipline to essentially teach myself everything.

Unless you have trouble getting to a nearby college or have infants to care for, I think it makes a lot more sense to take night classes a couple days a week. You'll have regular access to a professor, there will be tangible indicators of where your money is going and you'll have all the joys and pains of interacting with other humans.

8. DeeEss57

DeeEss57 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've never taken an online course, but for me it would be hard. I learn better in a normal classroom setting. I can't do that learn at your own pace kinda thing. I learned that way back in junior high school. And in college, I had to take accounting twice before I 'got' it. The first time was a learn at your own pace school room experience. The second time it was a normal teacher-at-the-blackboard-explaining-to-everyone-at-once experience. That worked much better for me.

If you can learn at your own pace, you should do fine, if you follow some of the others' advice here. Good luck!

DES

9. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Look for actual colleges with physical campuses first. Their online classes are generally going to be much cheaper and have better schedules and class offerings online than those that are online only.

10. Obi Wana Jones

Obi Wana Jones Lieutenant Red Shirt

If you do college online, does that mean you have to do the college coeds online too??? :guffaw:

11. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I took four college courses online at Davenport University. It was a fun experience, and it helps because you can use books without the professor knowing :) However I did study, too.

It depends on what you want to do, and the cost you are willing to pay. Davenport was about $1500 per class, and I think some other online schools are the same. If you can go to a community college in your area and pay a cheaper price, that may be a better way to go unless you got the money to go online. I stopped because I didn't want a huge loan to pay off.

12. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

I'm currently doing an MSc online.

A few things I'd say are important. I already did the campus based thing (many years ago, twice) but if you haven't 'been to college' you're missing a great experience. However good the online connections, nothing replaces the student bar, coffee shop and meeting your peers.

Secondly, you are lower priority than 'in your face' students to the tutors - of necessity. That student in in their office asking for attention, you're an email in an inbox. (And they don't get paid a lot extra for teaching you).

Thirdly, you have to be really, really disciplined and strong with yourself to do the study. Online materials don't replace classes, and online chat-tutorials have the same distraction potential of any chat room.

The gain is that with no attendance requirement, you can study what you want when you want, fit it in around a full time job (I can't comment on 'having a life' as I never got me one of those) and save money. You can also decide to study something obscure offered anywhere in the world: my 'classmates' are in Ireland, Greece, Canada - anywhere with a connection! It's more or less working for me (or will be when my next BLOODY essay goes in!)

13. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Originally Posted by Kira Nerys [​IMG]
    I am considering going to college online what are some of the pitfalls of working full time,which I do ,family responsibilites and recreation time .Is there anyone that has managed to pull it off ? I would appreciate anyone's insight .
    Why the hell would you want to?? You'd deprive yourself of such a great experience

Travel reasons and I can't get to a regular college . Doing college online is my only option.

14. edjm

edjm Commodore Commodore

Reiterate what RevdKathy said above - Distance/On-line learners are definitely way down the priority list for academics. Much easier for them to put off dealing with queries than with face to face students. Am in final stages of a part-time geology degree (that I have been doing forever) and know that the DL/OL students constantly complain about poor support.

15. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm starting grad school this month, and I'm doing it via online and evening classes. I'm a little worried about taking a class online. I think I'd do better in a real classroom, listening to a real professor and interacting with people face-to-face. However, the flexibility of taking a class online means you don't have to worry about driving to campus and showing up at a specific time. You can focus on school when you want. I guess I'll just have to see how things turn out for me.