Poll Does helping Mirror Universe Terrans violate the Prime Directive?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by marsh8472, May 27, 2018.

?

Does helping Mirror Universe Terrans violate the Prime Directive?

1. Does violate the Prime Directive

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Does not violate the Prime Directive

20 vote(s)
    62.5%
  3. Other

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

If the Vulcans had a Prime Directive, Solkar would have never landed his ship. Maybe humanity would have ended up meeting the Vulcans some other way? I prefer the Federation novel version of First Contact or even Strangers from the Sky

lawman likes this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But isn't achieving warp speed the point at which a species becomes eligible for contact? The episode "First Contact" spells it out. And ENT establishes that lots of Starfleet rules are adapted from Vulcan ones.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

First Contact (the movie) even specifies it's because the Vulcans detected a warp signature coming from Earth that made them decide to check the planet out.

4. Nyotarules

^Prior to that the Vulcans were not interested since they considered humans primitive and barbaric. The funny thing is humans were still primitive and barbaric when Solkar and his crew landed.

5. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

And vulcans were interested as far back as 1957 in any case

I suspect the real reason was that, with warp engines, it's entirely possible that human beings would be hopping off to Andoria in a few years

6. Nyotarules

True, would make a good novel 'The Diary of Ambassador Solkar' ;)

lawman likes this.
  7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Vulcans DO have their own version of the Prime Directive, I think...T'Pol mentioned something about it once.

8. VulcanMindBlown

VulcanMindBlown Commander Red Shirt

(... I'll look at all of the other responses later...)

Yup, it does... and it is also unethical, since the Terran Empire is an evil force, according to our values... !!! :evil: :mallory: :alienblush: :devil: :crazy:

9. Nyotarules

The Terrans in the MU reaped what their ancestors sowed, you can only treat aliens like shit for so long before they rebel, as TOS Kirk predicted. Apart from O'Brien, who seemed decent there was no evidence the Terrans were believers in a Federation style alliance.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

By the time of DS9's mirror universe arc, the Empire was long dead. I'm sure none of those Terrans were alive when the Empire was in control, and so they shouldn't be blamed for the actions of their ancestors.

Would you blame citizens of contemporary Germany for the actions of the Nazi regime? Do you believe that present day Russians are to blame for the crimes of the Soviet Union during the Cold War? Are all Muslims responsible for the atrocities committed by Daesh?

No? Then you can't blame 24th-century Terrans because of the Empire. No one should ever be held responsible for their forebears' crimes, no matter how serious those crimes might be.

And I should point out that O'Brien was not the only honorable Terran we met. Even mirror Sisko came around, in the end.

Remember what I said (in another thread) about GUILT vs. RESPONSIBILITY. Those are not even close to the same thing. Terrans of the 24th century are not guilty of the crimes committed by their ancestors, but they do have the responsibility of acknowledging that those crimes did take place and making sure it never happens again.

Indeed, that was part of MU Spock's plan all along. The fall of the Terran Empire, followed by the rise (and also eventual fall) of the Klingon/Cardassian Alliance - that was all part of his grand design. Spock wanted Terrans to know what it was like to be oppressed, so they would be inspired to create a better world.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  11. Nyotarules

I did not say they were to blame for their forebears crimes, that is not the same as reaping what their ancestors sowed. There were consequences to what their ancestors did, as shown in the show. You want to use real life examples, the USA introduced affirmative action for a reason and its not because politicians want to punish White Americans for the actions of their cultural ancestors (no matter what some might say) but there are consequences to the events that took place in the past.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

^ That still doesn't mean Terrans don't deserve help now.