Does Anyone Here Play Pathfinder RPG?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Doctor Bombay, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Doctor Bombay

Doctor Bombay Captain Captain

So, I'm an old gamer... dating back to B/X D&D and Advanced D&D 1st edition. I bought some of the Pathfinder books last year, before the announcement of the 2nd edition coming, and was impressed by the game in general.

Does anyone here have any experience with the game, and what are your impressions of it?

2. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

I played it quite a bit when I lived in Georgia. The group I played with wasn't running a contiguous campaign, however. We kept doing one shots in which we played the same characters progressing through levels, so it had much more of a vignette or day in the life feel than a lot of D&D campaigns I've been in.

I'd say from my perspective, pros: It was a much easier game to pick up for newcomers to tabletop RPGs than 2e or 3.5e of D&D and wasn't even close to the hot mess of 4e. The online community aspect of it was useful for people coming through from out of town who wanted to pick up a game. Register with Paizo, have your GM record your progress officially, get your loot, and you're good to go wherever you want. I felt like character creation wise, there was a bit more robustness to it than for 5e, and it has more rules than 5e. The setting was also richly detailed enough not to feel like some knockoff.

The biggest con to me was that in general, I felt like the characters were somewhat overpowered at lower levels. It made overall game play less challenging and meant you could get away with not using your head for strategy too much. That could have been tweaked if the GMs were modifying the modules they ran, but they didn't. As written, they simply weren't too difficult to overcome.

The only reason I'm not still playing Pathfinder now was that when I moved, it was easier to find active D&D groups. Now I'm DMing Curse of Strahd, so any chance of being a player is off the table for the foreseeable future. It's eating all my gaming time.

Doctor Bombay likes this.
  3. Doctor Bombay

Doctor Bombay Captain Captain

My FLGS has copious table space to run games day and night. I might try to get a PF game going here in a couple of months.

Here's a map of a game world I made on Photoshop a couple of weeks ago, just fooling around:

[​IMG]

4. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

Really nice job! Good luck getting a table together and getting it going. It's a fun system.

think and Doctor Bombay like this.