Does anyone here know about Denuvo DRM?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Gingerbread Demon, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Specifically Denuvo.

I keep reading a lot of negative information regarding this form of DRM. I have several games that utilize it but have never encountered any problems that have stopped me from using my software as intended. I'm almost certain a lot of this is FUD spread by people who just want to complain.

Has anyone had issues with this and if so what were they?

2. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Complaints about DRM are rarely FUD, as DRM is a way to make life more difficult for paying customers, and is always a trade-off where someone will be hit. Saying the people who had the issues with it just like to complain is not helpful.

This particular one? I have no experience with it. Last DRM I encountered had me write the sixth worth on page five of my game's manual. Pretty inconvenient when your dog ate your game's manual. :ouch:

Robert Maxwell likes this.
  3. Gingerbread Demon

The only one I have encountered in a huge way is Securom.

Most of the recent games like Tomb Raider and Wolfenstein New Order have Denuvo and so far touch wood I've had no issues.

It's just the only things I have read online are the negatives. There are no positives and I agree it sometimes does make life hard for paying customers.

4. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

My understanding is that no one has been able to demonstrate that Denuvo does anything unpleasant to your computer. It is DRM, so of course it adds extra code, chews up extra CPU resources when it's in use, etc. but as far as I'm aware (and have been able to read about online) it's never been known to produce any noticeable user impacts.

That said, it is a topic of uh, lively debate.

5. Gingerbread Demon

I've only read anecdotal stuff which no one can reproduce.

Some people say that Denuvo phones home a few times when you are playing games, or that it encrypts the .exe when you first run a game then unencrypts it as it executes. Most of that seems a bit weird to be true, but that's just going off of what I have read on various gaming sites. I don't know if that is at all true or not.

6. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

That kind of encryption is what various other DRM systems did. Denuvo supposedly goes further than that, generating new hardware-based keys on a regular basis (like every 15 minutes or so) to make cracking the code as difficult as possible.

7. Gingerbread Demon

Yikes!!!!!!!!

That sounds bad if true. Don't know what the answer to this kind of thing is.