Doctor Who Prom - BBC Radio 3, Sat 13th July

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Starscape, Jul 10, 2013.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That piece shows up how Murray Gold's stuff really isn't that good, at least as stand-alone music - it can get you through association with the scene it originally played over, but standing solo, as this piece does in advance of hearing it in context, it falls flat.
    Of course, that's a point which can be made about a lot of incidental music: indeed, there's an argument that it should work like that, remaining secondary to the drama.

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think he's a hack that frequently ruins scenes, removing all suspense and scare factor. Characters are slowly walking through a dark, sinister area? Let's play some LOUD, FAST, UNINSPIRED ACTION MUSIC.

If Murray Gold scored The Exorcist, it would have been a fucking train wreck.

3. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what the producers want. If it wasn't, he'd have been fired years ago.

4. DalekJim

I don't have this problem with any other show though. The incidental music in New Who, is the most problematic I've ever encountered. Sometimes I can't even hear the dialogue.

5. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think new Doctor Who has the best incidental music of any television program that's not Battlestar Galactica. I love me some Murray Gold.

6. DalekJim

If you're talking about the groundbreaking 1960s electronic score then I agree. If you're talking about the sub-John Williams shlock we have now then I'd beg to differ.

7. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ This.

8. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I fall into the same "love the music" camp as Steve, I recognize that some people (not just you) have problems with the mixing or chosen tone. I'm just not convinced that a different composer would make a difference. :)

Did you watch Miracle Day, also scored by Murray Gold? Did you think that had the same issues?

9. DalekJim

I don't remember having any opinion about the music in Miracle Day, which is a good sign that it didn't stand out as intrusive.

10. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

There's a reason I have almost all of the DW soundtracks. :D

This was very fun to see/hear even if it was only in the above snippets. The idea of a concert devoted purely to the musical scores from the revived series is something so fun. The way it is produced and created as an event, something the whole family can attend and enjoy is appealing on many levels. It's hard to imagine many of the classic scenes without the score Gold has provided: various scenes from "The Girl in the Fireplace" and "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead", "The End of Time", "The Eleventh Hour" and so much more would be completely altered. At times I confess the volume seems a bit much, but generally I have enjoyed it all immensely.

11. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

I really love the music in Doctor who. I want the 11th doctor theme for my phone

12. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I have his theme as my ringtone. Heads always turn when my phone rings.

13. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, DalekJim, since no one has bothered to tell you, there is a section of the program where they paid tribute to Dudley Simpson who composed many of the incidental scores for "classic" DW. They played several highlights from his work including the "march" from "Tomb of the Cybermen", one of his most distinctive pieces. It sounded VERY impressive with the backing of the entire Royal Philharmonic. Sorry, I can't remember when during the presentation they started that tribute.

Sincerely,

Bill

14. chelly

Do we know when BBCA will air the special?

15. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dunno' but one can at least enjoy the entire presentation as originally broadcast through BBC Radio 3 via the link Cutter John supplied on the second page...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b036ts7t?t=0.362

That's how I experienced it yesterday. During the "intermission", the broadcast cut to an interview with the audio engineer who created the iconic TARDIS sound effects. Yes, he's still alive.

Sincerely,

Bill

16. chelly

But it would be nice to see video.

17. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The classic series section starts about 20 minutes into part two.

18. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pedant alert, but that was a selection of music by various composers of old (Simpson's - who was in attendance - bit being the City of Death suite);

TARDIS takeoff - Brian Hodgson
    The Daleks - Tristram Cary
    Space Adventure: The Tomb of the Cybermen - Martin Slavin
    The Sea Devils - Malcolm Clarke
    City of Death - Dudley Simpson
    Logopolis - Paddy Kingsland
    The Five Doctors (with Sixth Doctor speech) - Peter Howell
    The Curse of Fenric - Mark Ayres

Howell and Ayers were there, performing the radiophonic sections. Peter Davison's intro begins at 1:35.45 on iPlayer. :)

19. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they stay true to form, we'll see the video version right around the holidays.

Having given it another listen, I'd really love a 50th anniversary tribute album, with in studio orchestral versions of the classic themes. Preferably with all the electronics in tune this time.

20. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I couldn't actually hear the synth where I was seated, so it sounded perfect to me! I've checked what I recorded on my camera. Sadly its only mono though.