Do you want the Kelvin Universe to continue?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral Jean-Luc Picard, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can't disrespect a sandbox. They are made to be played in.

2. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

The greatest sin the ST made was that there was no coherent plan for the story of the trilogy itself, like the PT and OT, and they basically made the story up as they went along. As what Disney wanted to do was churn Star Wars movies out every year – the complete opposite of the Kelvin films. It was part of commercializing Star Wars more than it already was. That was the only plan in mind. Its why Palpatine’s message signaling his return was put in Fortnite of all things to viral on the internet instead of immediately after the opening crawl of TROS. Or even the end of TLJ. All 25 seconds of it.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

OK, I know @valden can't seem to talk about Star Trek for more than a paragraph without drawing some other movie franchise into the discussion, but we have a whole forum specifically for talking about Star Wars. Let's do Star Wars there and Star Trek here, shall we?

Richard S. Ta and Ovation like this.
  4. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My reply was still on topic. That’s what the reference to the Kelvin movies was, especially since it indicated different strategies for each franchise, which would help to explain why the movies discussed were a "complete mess".

And its not like Star Trek doesn’t put media on other platforms that should be onscreen. In Trek's case, it’s the Star Trek Logs on Instagram.

5. valden

valden Commander Red Shirt

I dont think it is fair to define me like that. additionally as star trek is a movie franchise and this is a thread asking if it must go on, it is only realistic that we draw comparison with other movie franchise that has been going on for years...decades even.

Also, more importantly this star trek shared the same director with star wars, 2 times over. so the comparison between n both is fair and just.

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is no reason to compare. Bring on Abrams for Star Trek, I say. How he handled Star Wars is of no consequence. No one liked him when he did Star Trek either.

saddestmoon and Richard S. Ta like this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. And I'm old enough to remember when the SW prequels were considered utter garbage (still are, IMHO the sequels are infinitely better)

Give it time and perspectives change. I'm waiting on Into Darkness and The Last Jedi to get the love they deserve.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    saddestmoon and Richard S. Ta like this.
  8. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just to play devil's advocate: tell that to a cat.

Keep waiting...

9. Richard S. Ta

As the owner of two cats, all that brings to mind is sandboxes are made to be shat in…

For what it’s worth as well, when you change out the sandbox at the beginning of the month, they love to play in it.

10. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I woke up from a dream and the "Enterprising Young Men" track started playing in my head and I'm like "Man it would be fun to hear this again in some new film or show!"

Richard S. Ta and MFB like this.
  11. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Enterprise can...

12. F. King Daniel

I popped big time when it played briefly in the "Q&A" Short Trek.

13. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm also old enough to remember how much the SW prequels were trashed (personally the only one that I found really bad was Phantom Menace and even that one had a few cool scenes). And while nostalgia might cool some of the fires of fandom over Into Darkness and the Last Jedi in time, I also think the prequels started looking considerably better because there was something new, and considered worse, by some to compare them to.

Conversely, with Star Wars now, with all the praise for Mandalorian, that hasn't improved or mellowed (yet anyway) how people felt about the sequels. Perhaps it is still too soon, and the kids who grew up with the sequels as their main Star Wars experience have yet to take to the internet to defend them.

Thus far, new Trek doesn't appear to have improved how Into Darkness is regarded either, but I could perhaps see some just lumping the Abrams movies and new Trek all together, owing to Kurtzman's involvement.

14. McCoy's Disco Collar

McCoy's Disco Collar Commander Red Shirt

Do you want the Kelvin Universe to continue?

Personally, nah. Feels played out. The second and third films kind of killed any enthusiasm I might have had for the first.

15. Richard S. Ta

Most Star Trek and Star Wars fans don't like Star Trek and Star Wars. It's called the Rodden-Lucas Paradox.

fireproof78 and somebuddyX like this.
  16. F. King Daniel

Happy 13th, Kelvin Universe. May their fourth movie happen one day.

MFB, saddestmoon and fireproof78 like this.
  17. gweeps

gweeps Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll watch any new ones for completion's sake, but I'm not emotionally invested in whether this series continues. Unless we get a DS9 reboot movie.

18. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they do make a fourth movie, and it is the last Kelvin movie, at the end I would like them to leave the timeline "open," and not somehow end it permanately. Like others I'm not invested in this series of movies, but I recognize that other trek fans are, so give them this universe and maybe novels to come.

19. Klingon Empire

Klingon Empire Captain Captain

Oh yes, I still maintain that is one of the best pieces of Star Trek music we've heard in a long time. I remember all the hype for the movie in 2009 and when it came out, that was solidly stuck in many people's heads, my own included. If they make a fourth movie, I say they just commit and use this as the main theme.

saddestmoon likes this.
  20. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yes.

saddestmoon likes this.