Poll Do You Believe STD Is Actually a Reboot [After Seeing It]?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Kane_Steel, Sep 25, 2017.

?

Is STD a Reboot?

1. Yes

115 vote(s)
    39.9%
  2. No

173 vote(s)
    60.1%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm talking about the information Starfleet should have had on him, based on his run-in with the Discovery. Or, we work under the idea that the Discovery crew is incompetent because they couldn't file a simple report to Starfleet on the incident.

One of the many reasons Discovery doesn't make sense within the context of the Prime universe (or, at least, the original Star Trek), to me. YMMV.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Continuity with TOS is being used as a scapegoat here. Mudd could've been convicted and still gotten out in time for TOS. We don't really know how criminal justice works in the 23rd Century other than, if "Dagger of the Mind" is anything to go by, the focus is more on rehabilitation than punishment.

If Harry Mudd is no longer murderous in TOS then rehabilitation would've worked to a certain extent. So maintaining continuity with TOS doesn't have anything to do with anything in this case. They can write their way around it if they want to.

They just let Mudd get off scott-free because they wanted to use him again. Period. The sci-fi rationale for letting him off is none of what Mudd did ever happened in the final timeloop. Stamets and Burnham would remember it. Lorca strikes me as the type of person who doesn't give a shit. Which is as much of a reflection on Lorca as it is on Mudd.

shapeshifter and MakeshiftPython like this.
  3. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Exactly. While we "witnessed" his crimes as viewers, "in-universe", nothing actually happened. Personal memory, in the absence of any corroborating evidence, is rarely, if ever, compelling in criminal cases.

It's been a very long time since I've watched the episode, but is it possible the list was cut off before completion (much like in Kirk's court-martial)? If so, perhaps they were reading back charges in reverse chronological order. But even then, since the more serious crimes depicted in DSC never "actually happened", there'd be no need to have a record of them in Starfleet databanks. No one asked for a complete scan of all Starfleet records, including personal logs (assuming they'd be accessible anyway).

Lord Garth likes this.
  4. BillJ

Not really, it is being used to make a point: Mudd is much more interesting as an open-ended character. Every time they use him, they have to come up with reasons why his run-ins with Starfleet don't show up in the Enterprise computer in "Mudd's Women". The reports would break "Mudd's Women", as it makes Kirk an idiot for not immediately tossing Mudd into the brig. It is just like the new Klingons never showing up in any of the five other shows doesn't make a lot of sense. They go from running the Empire, and being the only ones visible to never garnering a mention again.

From my perspective (and mine alone, I don't speak for anyone else), it is easier to treat Discovery as a reboot, than try to cram it into the Prime timeline. It also makes it a more satisfying story.

johnnybear and F. King Daniel like this.
  5. BillJ

No one cuts it off, it is the entirety of the record they have. Then, Mudd broke into the Bank of Betazed, abused whatever fish that was lying in the cargo bay, and conspired with the Klingons to steal the Discovery. I think they could also get him for illegal entry on a Federation starship and tampering with its computer systems.

I just watched "Magic..." yesterday, so it is fresh in my memory! :lol:

6. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Well, he could have faced rather serious charges in I,Mudd, as well. As I recall, he was left to unofficially serve out a sentence with the reprogrammed androids. Not unlike a similarly unofficial sentence of "house arrest" under the supervision of Stella and her so friendly-looking dad.

shapeshifter and fireproof78 like this.
  7. Lord Garth

No charges = It's not on the record. For future encounters, we can't say anything about those because those episodes don't exist or haven't been aired yet.

And if Mudd has served his time for previous charges he might've done time for, then Kirk can't put him in the brig until he's done something else. Posing as someone else and transporting prostitutes should be enough to put him in the brig, but that's a problem with "Mudd's Women" all by itself. Discovery doesn't need to be brought into it.

fireproof78 likes this.
  8. BillJ

I think Starfleet would frown on someone trying to steal their supposed top-secret ship and sell it to the Klingons. Especially during war, Mudd would be seen as an enemy of the state.

Not sent away to bang his girlfriend that he doesn't like. :lol:

Which is the problem. They turned Mudd from a second-rate clown into a genius criminal.

9. Lord Garth

Genius criminal to a second-hand clown, chronologically. So he was rehabilitated and/or lobotomized. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, except Mudd came out of it better than Jack Nicholson. ;)

"Dagger of the Mind" and "Whom Gods Destroy" both show this is possible.

10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Didn't he try to steal the Enterprise (not top secret, but still a valuable asset) in I, Mudd? Who knows to whom he might have tried to sell it after his escape?

fireproof78 likes this.
  11. Lord Garth

I happen to like "Mudd's Women" more now than I first saw it when I was 12 -- some of it makes more sense to me now, because I know people with drug histories and who have questioned their self-worth -- but I'd never call it an example of air-tight writing.

"I, Mudd", on the other hand, is comic gold. It spits in the face of making sense, and that's what I love about it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Sounds like Star Trek to me. **cough**Khan**cough**Kelvins**cough**
    Who did Mudd kill again? I don't recall anyone dead by the episode's end.
    The Feds have a strange sense of justice. In I, Mudd Kirk thinks a guy who kidnapped 430 people, stole a starship and plotted to take over the galaxy should be sentenced to living a planet with hundreds of android duplicates of his wife!!!!!

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everything about that whole episode sucks. I choose to ignore it.

johnnybear likes this.
  14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Murder that is undone by time travel is still murder.

15. Nerys Myk

Is it? How do you prove something that never happened?

16. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

No way to make anyone legally responsible, so not really. It’s essentially the same as having murderous thoughts without anyone actually dying.

17. BillJ

There was far more than murder at play. Though you do have Stamets who was a witness to it all.

18. BillJ

If nothing else, shouldn't they have held Mudd for the robbery of the Bank of Betazed, and turned him over to the proper authorities?

19. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

FREE CAPTAIN BRAXTON!!! If the timeline is rewritten, you must be acquitten!

Lord Garth, Ovation, Gonzo and 2 others like this.
  20. Nerys Myk

A witness to what? Dude was tripping on shrooms,

Lord Garth and Ovation like this.