Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion in cash and stock.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. I thought his son and daughters would continue to run the company after he retired years from now.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think any of his children were ever interested in running the company or had the ability.

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Amanda Lucas is an MMA fighter, and Jett is only 19. Katie Lucas is the only one who has been involved in the entertainment sector at all, as a writer on Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

4. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But who will fans blame for everything wrong with everything ever now?

5. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My guess would be this guy:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dave_Filoni
    ;)

"I always get worried about disrupting continuity. I seem to get blamed for that a lot." ―Dave Filoni[src]

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^They'll blame Lucas for literally selling out.

7. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does this mean we'll get a pixar created Day of the Tentacle?

*drools*

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Maybe we'll get Howard the Duck 2?

I litereally did think this was a gag when I first read about it, crikey and they say no one can keep a secret anymore in the internet age, negotiations must have been ongoing for a while.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic. The best SW films were the ones Lucas seemed to have the least control over...

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not sure I'd put it that way. He did have control over TESB and ROTJ; it's just that back then he hadn't yet been spoiled by decades of power and insularity and had the good sense to collaborate with others instead of believing he could make all the decisions unilaterally. (Even on the original film, Gary Kurtz contributed far more to the process than he's officially given credit for.)

If anything, I'd say that on the prequels (and Indy 4), he lacked sufficient control over himself, because he no longer had the judgment to realize his limitations and share responsibility with others.

10. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the whole, I think this is good news. Looking forward to seeing what develops...

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^Well I might have laboured under a misapprehension all these years. It was my understanding that though he wrote/directed ANH, he was actually quite restrained by the studio/and especially the budget. With the TESB I'd heard he was side-lined quite a bit but by the time ROTJ came back, although he didn't write/direct, he actually had a lot of creative control and obviously the money to burn (hence why we got a variation of the aborted Wookies vs Stormtroopers fight he wanted in ANH).

12. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh gawd..

R2DUCK2...? :vulcan:
    Darth Mouse? :cardie:
    Emperor MC Scrooge? :borg:

Let me guess... the Death Star will get two HUGE saucer shaped antennas? :wtf:

13. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

They've had Star Wars days at Disney for years. They've done Disney-as-Star Wars characters for years. I have a pin with Stitch as Emperor Palpy that looks awesome.

I'm not seeing a down side to this.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

You will do. You will do...

(sorry couldn't resist)

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, you could be right too. I'm not really an expert.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I think Lucas treatments handed over to a good writer could bear excellent fruit (ESB being a pointer) and Disney isn't exactly the creative vacuum living on past glories that it was in the decades prior to the Pixar/Marvel deals.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the future of the Star Wars film franchise and possibly the postponed TV show (if it doesn't morph into the new run of films like the TOS revival/TMP), but I'm glad I lost interest in the SW expanded universe a while ago. I can't see much chance of future films adhering to or even skirting novel continuity. Their best hope is that as Ford and Fisher are unlikely to appear in the new movies, Han and Leia don't get a mention...

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bob Iger mentioned that he likes Star Wars as a TV property and that DisneyXD is a good place for it, so he's taking about the whole idea of kid-friendly animation. They might let The Clone Wars finish its run on the Cartoon Network and then launch a new series on DisneyXD. They might just have animated series run indefinitely, covering different time periods as an adjunct to the movie series.

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, seriously? Is she any good?

That's what's impressed me the most about the whole thing. It's super-rare for a takeover of this magnitude to be kept completely under wraps until the official announcement. It usually leaks to some market participant a day or two in advance. I suppose Sandy had some impact in keeping it off the market's radar.

19. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Her Wiki entry says she's been in five matches so far, of which she has won four.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I knew Disney had to be behind that hurricane...