Discovery's lead character will be referred to in the series as “Number One”

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Shalashaska, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Garth should have been the villain of STID....as either the Khan role with powers, or as the Starfleet veteran going crazy.

2. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Even that couldn't have saved that mess of a film. The problem with trek films is there's no time to character develop. Garth needs to be a great captain who slowly loses it over the course of the season. But yeah I'd still rather anyone but khan in that movie. Gary Mitchell even as was a rumor during into darkness production would have been a better bet.

3. Phoenix219

Mitchell works well, as they are "earlier" in the timeline then they should have been, and because of the friendship with Kirk. When '09 came out, I was realllly wishing for Quinto as Mitchell, rather then Spock lol.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if they wanted to do Garth, Axanar slipped in there first, so they'd look petty.

"Hi we're going to smash you and take your idea, even though it's really our idea that you stole off us first, and if we didn't publicly detonate you, regular people wouldn't have noticed or cared."

5. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

Mitchell might have worked very well because his evolution is simple but still scary to this day. Yeah, Sylar could have played Mitchell very effectively.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mitchell seems like Kirk would have displaced him in the new time line.

Bitter as #### Garry entered Star Fleet when he was supposed to have and would have been in line for a Ship, and then Kirk queue jumped.

7. Phoenix219

The seething anger bubbling just below the surface, the cocksure arrogance.... I can't watch Heroes without thinking about Mitchell, and can't watch WNMHGB without thinking about Sylar. Quinto was a match made in heaven for the role. The instant Sylar lowered his bodyrate to nothing to mimic death, to escape Primatech, I was hooting about Gary Mitchell, to the looks of confusion to anyone watching with me... Star Trek '09 would have better IMO, dealing with less covered territory, like Kelso, Piper, Mitchell, Dehner and company, with easter eggs of the regular big 7 dropping for future movies.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Kevin Wolff likes this.
  8. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

Nothing beats brute force.

9. Phoenix219

Not really.... they could have referenced Axanar to be cool, or just ignored the production completely. Either way it would have not affected a production set in the past, as it would be taking place in the NuPresent. Garth would have made an excellent adversary for either the 2nd or 3rd movie, in his shapeshifting madman stage. Its also possible that he hid his madness and retained his position longer in the nuVerse.

Kevin Wolff likes this.
  10. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Sisko didn't really have a First Officer - he had Kira as Bajoran liason and later Worf as Strategic Ops officer... naming either as Number One would denigrate the other. As for Janeway, she quickly decided first name basis was better for crew morale given their situation, unless she was pulling rank (where calling Chakotay "Mister" or "Commander" would be preferable to the still familiar "Number One").

As for Archer, his entire crew were Number Twos.

11. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

Tucker at the top of the list though...

12. locutus101

locutus101 Vice Admiral Rear Admiral

Tucker was a number two in his own right.

13. In_Correct

In_Correct Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So ... The captain is going to be called "Number One"? I know that Number One means First Officer, and that Gene Roddenberry probably didn't bother naming her anything else so that means that the term "Number One" is a generic term for her rank and position, just like "The Doctor" from Voyager.

But if they really are going to name the captain "Number One" does not make sense. Also she is going to be a non-human character. Perhaps she is from a species that does not have names, but instead have numbers. This combines Borg Designations with the backwards naming of Bajorans. Every character of her species will have "Number" for the first name and a number such as "One" for the last name.

And as far as the different skin colour, perhaps they will want to explain that she is some type of Chameleon species.

Sorry.

I read that wrong. The lead character is going to be a "Human, NON-Captain" ?! Is this the first time for something like this to happen?

It would be nice to have an episode or film explaining what happened to Pike's Number One. No explanation ever given. I guess it does not matter because it seems the character Number One was created specifically for Majel Barrett, who found other characters to play instead.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yes and no. Sisko was a commander for the first three seasons of DS9, but he was still the commanding officer of the station and the Defiant. So it's not the first time we've had a lead character with a rank below captain, but it is the first time we've had a lead character who was not the commanding officer of the featured crew.

15. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

I'm sure for a lot people back in the '60s and '70s the lead character of the show was a certain pointy-eared science officer and not the captain. So there's nothing new here. :rommie:

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's what the network and many fans may have wanted, but William Shatner was clearly billed first, and he and Roddenberry both fought to keep Kirk at least equal in prominence to Spock. They were certainly more successful than, say, all the Lost in Space cast members who were billed above Billy Mumy and Jonathan Harris.