Discovery starship discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Cpt. Kyle Amasov, Sep 25, 2017.

1. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Another possibility is that Mudd simply isn't getting tired. The time loop seems to restore him and Stamets to their previous conditions, even if they're phaser-stunned or blown up. He could still be building up mental fatigue, but I don't even want to touch the mind-brain duality rules in Star Trek.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I remember one loop towards the end where he yawned. I got the impression that he had been going at this non-stop since he started the loop. 30 minutes is not really enough time to catch a reasonable nap and be properly rested.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stamets basically has his memory backed up in a cloud - the mushrooms give him pretty explicit separation of mind and brain here, for a certain value of mind at least. I don't think he's supposed to be a beneficiary of the crystal effect in any way. Although it probably hurts to have fifty-plus recollections where there should only be one.

What happens to Mudd is less clear. So, the obligatory headache-inducing recap of possibilities:

Does his whole body bail out of the timeline as if transported (i.e. if he did get stabbed, he'd stay stabbed, and when Stamets blows everybody up, Mudd nevertheless escapes in the nick of time), then get deposited on top of his body 30 minutes earlier? Does just his mind perform the jump and depose whatever is in Mudd's mind those 30 minutes earlier? Echoes of "Tomorrow is Yesterday" here.

Could be a pure "timelines" thing. In perhaps a hundred of them, Mudd suddenly sort of ceases to exist at T=30, but Lorca stays dead or the ship stays blown up or whatever. In perhaps a hundred minus one of them, Mudd suddenly appears at T=0, blasts his local version to oblivion (as both grin in anticipation of future greatness), and takes over his timeline to run yet another loop.

Or then neither Mudd's body nor his mind manages the loop. Rather, his crystal doodad sends him a record he studies for a while (it gets sent to T= minus 24 hours or whatever, so he has time to rest and assimilate) and then goes where many Mudds have gone before.

Then again, it could be magic. Time does "restore" itself in all of Trek, smoothing over any paradoxes or complexities. The time crystal thingamajig need not be capable of any of this smoothing as such (any more than a decrepit BoP flying anticlockwise around Sol is), but its makers know that time is kind and accommodating, and justly rely on that.

Timo Saloniemi

4. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The apparent distances - not allowing for Z-axis distances, of course - between the systems and objects included remains consistent with Star Charts. There's a boundary line that we're meant to assume was the pre-war border - at Z: 0 lightyears, probably? - and another meant to mark the boundary as of the moment. Not sure if there's any change in this episode's edition compared with prior episodes, yet.

I know there's a proper screencap archive for this series, I've visited it at least the once, but I don't remember the URL at the moment. Finding that archive would help solve this question.

Markonian likes this.
  5. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

My msjor concern would be if new systems were added or deleted.

6. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read that as him making a show of being "bored" after going through his routine so many times. "Go down this corridor, stand here for 10 seconds, avoid that crewmember, open this panel, push that button, ho-hum...."

7. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

That was my take as well.

8. Harry

Harry Captain Captain

Not much to discuss here starship wise. The yacht was a perfectly decent oddity. Stella and her dad were straight from William Ware Theiss's drawing board, which was cool. And that Andorian space helmet is really enough for me to validate this whole series.

I briefly had hope the time crystal might have been a way to introduce a time travel element to the Klingon story as well and explain away their weirdness. It might still happen.

I'm not sure we can really solve the weirdness of the time loop. I guess Mudd's armband may have included a failsafe that resets the loop earlier if he is mortally wounded, and that it somehow resets the entire ("local"?) timeline. Maybe it's a "Primer" like deal where he always resets to the moment he enabled the armband time crystal device?

DEWLine likes this.
  9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Did we see Mudd go up in flames when Stamets blew up the ship? That is, he shot Mudd, and Mudd didn't get up and press any buttons, but is there the theoretical possibility that Stamets stunned Mudd, and the crystal doodad automatically saved Mudd at the last second and whisked him to the past (perhaps still stunned)? As opposed to us seeing his body boil the same way those of Stamets, Burnham and Tyler did?

Yup, that was the writer/director intent. But of course the writers would not think of the fact that Mudd never has the chance to sleep - the writers of Quantum Leap did not realize that for the entire run of the show - so this is our opportunity to put right what again went wrong.

Timo Saloniemi

10. B.J.

Well, his tiredness (or lack thereof) would depend on the nature of the time loops. During his loops, is Mudd continuous only in mind (like Stargate's "Windows of Opportunity"), or both in mind and body? I don't think we have enough evidence to say which it is. The montage of him killing Lorca over and over was, in my opinion, just an artistic representation.

11. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Startrek.com has identified some classes of the ships in "Battle of the Binary Stars"

Clarke
    NCC-1661 Malachowski Class
    Edison NCC-1683 Hoover Class
    Europa NCC-1648 Nimitz Class
    Kerala NCC- ? Shepard Class
    T'Plana Hath NCC-1004 Engle Class I guess Dana/Ride would be the same ?
    Shran NCC-1413 Magee Class
    Yeager NCC-1437 Cardenas Class

So that leaves Earhart & Sioux right ?

12. B.J.

^ Cool! Here's my guess at the namesakes for the various classes:

Malachowski - Nicole Malachowski, first female member of the Thunderbirds
    Hoover - President Herbert Hoover
    Nimitz - Admiral Chester Nimitz, also the namesake for the Nimitz class of aircraft carriers
    Shepard - Alan Shepard, first American in space
    Engle - astronaut Joe Engle, flew Enterprise flight tests and the second orbital flight of Columbia
    Magee - Not sure on this one, but my guess is Christopher Magee, Marine fighter pilot and member of the Black Sheep Squadron
    Cardenas - No idea. There's quite a lot of people and places with that name, but going by the others, it's likely a person.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  13. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, clearly:

[​IMG]

And because she's always on my work commute radio ads:

[​IMG]

Anyway, it's pretty clear that at this point in Starfleet history, all starship names and classes are after people. Granted the Connies are out there with vastly cooler non-people names, but it seems for the previous few decades the fleet mostly wants to honor people over places, concepts and things (and 20th Century, US-centric ones too, while they're at it).

I was just over at Startrek.com - where's the source link?

Mark

137th Gebirg likes this.
  14. Nate

Nate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    Mark_Nguyen likes this.
  15. B.J.

16. Andru

Andru Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Cool. The Kerala (and therefore the Gagarin) are Shepard-class, and we have a USS Shepard named in ST:IV that could be the class ship.

17. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Shouldn’t the Shepard and the Glenn belong to the same class? The Yeager, the Walker and the Crossfield in another class of their own also? Seems that the naming of the Federation ships is all over the place. (The norm in canon Trek, I know. But still...)

Markonian likes this.
  18. Andru

Andru Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Consistent naming for ships within a class was a thing in Franz Josef's works and in fandom, but never really took hold in canon. Practical considerations like storytelling and switching ship models in post-production would have quickly voided such a system anyway.

David cgc likes this.
  19. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Since they seem to have a thing for pilots in the US military, I'm going to guess it's this person.

I do miss the non-person class names, though.

20. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

IIRC, John Eaves designed all of these ships and he is a big aviation buff. I expect more test pilots and astronauts in the future.