Discovery/Picard crossover

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Ralphis, Feb 3, 2020.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Absolutely no chance in the age of streaming - you'll get an Easter Egg and maybe a brief cameo - but neither Netflix or Amazon Prime will pay for a show that encourages you to get a streaming subscription with their competitor.

I would be *amazed* if this was not hashed out and contractually locked down before either company gave CBS millions for streaming rights.

2. CaptainXaviOfEarth

CaptainXaviOfEarth Commander Red Shirt

My wild speculation (not supported by anything outside of my knowledge of what turns David Chustz on) is they'll do a mixed media crossover event in 2022, with support from something like Short Treks and a lot of merchandise. If they make it animated, they can have all the different eras and shows crossover without any problems, even the Kelvin universe.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The what now? :confused:

4. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ So nothing happens to existing subscribers, amirite? Meaning, we won't be forced to "upgrade" to the new one?

6. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

The way this article and a few others I've seen are worded, yeah, that seems like what it'll be. The existing CBS All Access, just on steroids (and probably a re-branded name).

7. Raptor_Fawr

Raptor_Fawr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wouldn't like a DSC - PIC crossover honestly, they already gave us a TOS era crossover and now I'd rather see new stories rather than a huge nostalgia run.

Also, please people chill out. Your hate for DSC is well known, but you can't say that "it is not in the prime timeline" because technology don't match with TOS.

I'll tell you why DSC and TOS have different technologies: TOS was made years before the moon landing, there was another concept of technology entirely. On the main bridge of TOS you don't see touch widescreens tablets and usb-pen-like devices (isolinear chips for instance) just because in 1966 they had no idea about those things.

TOS enterprise used magnetic tapes to store data. Do you have any idea how outdated that technology is compared to what we have nowadays?

So yeah, comparing TOS to DSC is like comparing a fireplace to a wifi controlled luxury automated neohome boiler because we have better technology than what they had in the 60's and we think that we will have even better technology in 200 years from now