Spoilers Discovery and the Novelverse - TV show discussion thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by F. King Daniel, May 18, 2017.

1. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ And also, producer Ted Sullivan basically all but confirmed that Sarek survived on After Trek.

2. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Obviously the show's not going to kill off a Sarek so soon, but that is not what I am referring to. How do we make sense of devoted rebel Sarek in 2256 to high-ranking Imperial lapdog in 2267?

3. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Eh. A Vulcan’s gotta eat.

iarann likes this.
  4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

How do we make sense of racist Empire in 2256 to Spock as first officer in 2267? I suspect we'll see the rebellion gain some success and lead to greater acceptance for Vulcans and others.

Markonian likes this.
  5. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

@Christopher: That's what i think, too. Just wondering if at least some of the Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites end up as high ranking leaders of the Klingon - Cardassian alliance. Similar to Intendant Kira, who was a Bajoran.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Vulcans were actually enslaved by the Klingon/Cardassian Alliance, we see Intendant Kira has Vulcan man-slaves in her harem, and some Vulcans, including Tuvok are part of the Terran Rebellion against the Alliance.

Enterprise1701 likes this.
  7. iarann

iarann Lieutenant Commander Premium Member

There were exceptions. Deep Space Nine had the Search parts 1 and 2 adapted into a novel, as well as Far Beyond the Stars. There was also The Way of the Warrior, but that one would probably fall under your crossover idea as it was the episode Worf transitioned over. Enterprise also adapted a couple of two part episodes, Shockwave and The Expanse. Maybe not the greatest examples, but there are examples of it being tried before.

So far, this current story arc feels like something that could be adapted individually, though I haven't seen the conclusion or where it may go so I could be wrong on that.

8. Christopher

All of those except "Far Beyond" fall into the premiere/finale category that The Wormhole mentioned.

9. iarann

I thought he meant series premiere/finale, but fine. Far Beyond the Stars gives us a previous exception, would have been nice to see the same happen with this arc as I really enjoy it. I'm probably alone in that feeling though, I understand a lot of people don't like novelizations.
    I wouldn't want to post story ideas, but this is a universe of deception and betrayal, the Vulcans could improve their situation at the expense of the rebellion rather than through it's success.

10. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Actually, Age of the Empress is the epitome of shifting allegiance and double-crossing. :nyah:

Imagine we got Diane Carey back to pen DSC novelisations. I bet she’d love what the current creative team has done with the place. :rommie:

TheAlmanac and Jinn like this.
  11. iarann

I haven't read too many of her books, but I have read Broken Bow. Did she show the same level of "fondness" for any of the other ones that she did for Enterprise?

Markonian likes this.
  12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Check out Ghost Ship. Admittedly it was written before TNG premiered, but it's a very different take on Next Gen.

13. Christopher

Yup, based strictly on the original series bible and the "Farpoint" script, so it makes a lot of assumptions that were dropped in the actual show (e.g. Riker's prejudice against androids being ongoing). And the personalities are kind of best-guess approximations. I think she even has Geordi complain about how their crewmates tend to define them by just one character trait, like Geordi being the one with the VISOR.

It's not really a response to iarann's question, though, since its idiosyncrasies aren't about Carey disliking the show, just about her not knowing what it would end up being like. It was easier for the writers of DS9: The Siege and VGR: The Escape (and the other early DS9 and VGR novels written pre-premiere) to approximate the way the shows turned out, partly because the 24th-century Trek style had been established by then, and partly because those shows didn't go through as many creative upheavals at the start as TNG did, so there was more consistency between the bibles and the actual shows.

iarann likes this.
  14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps Ship of the Line would be a good example - in which she had Picard learn a thing or two about being a captain by watching TOS episodes on the holodeck.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Diane Carey has often slipped in nitpicks or random observations into other novelizations she wrote. I remember her novelization in WYLB has Admiral Ross wondering what the Female Changeling signed her name as on the cease-fire treaty.

16. Christopher

See, if it were me, I'd try to come up with an answer to that question.

Unimatrix Q and Markonian like this.
  17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh geez. You had to bring up the "Broken Bow" novelization didn't ya. :lol: Anyone who would write something as insulting and patronizing as that novel, I wouldn't want anywhere near Trek ever again.

iarann likes this.
  18. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Damn, if it's this infamous I ought to buy my own copy on iTunes and read it for myself.

iarann likes this.
  19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just be prepared. Almost every scene that Carey actually novelizes from the episode is followed by some kind of smartass retort, or internal monologue by a character, detailing just how terrible she thinks the script is. It's literally filled from beginning to end with petty "asides" like that. It's almost hilarious how infantile it gets.

If Diane Carey gets anywhere near Trek, ever again...:eek: I mean, a Carey DSC novel? I shudder to think what she would do to it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  20. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is an conversation out there between Brannon Braga and Rick Berman about that novel.

Going to see if I can find it.

Edit: It was posted on twitter with no source, so I don't know how legit it is

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Enterprise1701 likes this.