Spoilers Discovery and the Novelverse - TV show discussion thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by F. King Daniel, May 18, 2017.

1. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Does the novelverse have the legal right now to go past 2387?

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. There was a license renewal/renegotiation.

Markonian likes this.
  3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, Pocket Books now has the legal rights to material from the Abrams movies. This was reported about a month ago. This means they can now do novels set in the Kelvin Timeline as well as Prime universe novels that incorporate stuff from the movies, such as the destruction of Romulus for example. This is allowed, but as Dayton Ward has already indicated there are not yet any plans to do so. Although now it is only a question of when will they tackle this material, not if they will.

Markonian likes this.
  4. Voth commando1

So there will be a novel dealing with the Hobus Supernova and the political affects it has on the alpha quadrant soon?

@The Wormhole that's good to hear

5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

What's "soon"? Turnaround time for a Trek novel from concept to release can be a couple years, so they'd just be getting rolling on these now. Even if everyone worked at breakneck speed, I'd imagine it'd be flatly impossible for any such novel or miniseries (I'm betting miniseries) to come out before late 2018. I'd say that a reasonable estimate for the release of the novelverse version of the Hobus story would somewhere between one and three years from now, and probably at the sooner end of that range.

That's just my guess, but given that everyone involved seems excited by the prospect, I'd say they'll probably get to it as quickly as possible. It's just that "quick" is still pretty long when it comes to writing books.

Markonian likes this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Walking on Eggshells: A Star Trek Story

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Voth Commando, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but there's really not much of a point in constantly asking what will happen with the books in the future. Pretty much what you see here and on places Memory Alpha and Memory Beta is everything that has been announced at this point, and if it's not mentioned on one of these sites then it most likely hasn't been announced, and if it hasn't been announced then the people involved probably can't talk about it yet.

8. Voth commando1

I'm sorry just excited that's all didn't mean to sound demanding

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I completely understand that.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nothing is currently scheduled. Besides, given novel continuity is in 2386, there's still about a year or so for the characters to experience before the Hobus stuff goes down.

11. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

The new licensing agreement - if all goes according to the announcement made in Vegas - would include allowing Pocket to lean in hard with respect to the Kelvin timeline. That means stories set in that timeline, as well as its effects on the Prime timeline.

That agreement, so far as I know, has not yet been finalized, and I don't know when to expect that to be done. Until it happens, there won't be any serious discussions or plans so far as any of this, and anything put forth or plotted out would take a bit of time to go from idea to bookstore shelf.

So, again: Relax. Breathe regular. :)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    iarann, Markonian, Idran and 2 others like this.
  12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Good to know. I wasn't sure whether it would allow for actual Kelvin-set stories.

Sigh.

Oz Trekkie, Markonian and Idran like this.
  13. Dayton Ward

Being able to do Kelvin timeline stories was part of what he said in Vegas. I was sitting five feet away, and I still asked if I'd heard him correctly. :D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Oz Trekkie likes this.
  14. Voth commando1

So just to clarify we could in the future see the effects of the Kelvinverse on the prime timeline such as the Hobus Supernova(and its affect on the Typhon Pact) and Spock's disappearance at some point in the near to medium future?

To be frank I am disinterested in the Kelvin timeline but am utterly ecstatic at the thought of the prime timeline moving forward beyond 2387.

Oz Trekkie likes this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So is the whole license still being worked out, or just the stuff related to the Kelvinverse?

16. Voth commando1

So to answer my central point of interest will the prime timeline move forward or not?

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm hoping for some adventures of the Kelvin with Robau, George and Winona.

Markonian likes this.
  18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

As Dayton said, everything would potentially be on the table. But no specific plans have been made yet.

The latter is something to be resolved in working out the former.

How many times are you going to ask that same question even after you've been repeatedly told that there are no solid plans yet?

19. Voth commando1

Okay thank you for clarifying. Forgive me I don't usually let my enthusiasm get the better of me.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  20. Dayton Ward

Yeah, this is what Captain Bateson feels like....... :D

TheAlmanac and trampledamage like this.