Discovered Gilmore Girls

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by sbk1234, Mar 3, 2017.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

The problem isn't how Luke handled it, which was fine-ish, it was useless to introduce the daughter in the first place, she adds nothing to the show.

2. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't gotten far enough into that story line to see, but you may very well be right about that.

3. bigdaddy

My fear is that because you like Luke's daughter you won't like season 7. It seems everyone who doesn't care about Luke's random ass, stupid, useless addition to the show seem to dislike season 7. Which is sad because they do the best they can with what they are given, it's also the only season Rory isn't a horrible human. :lol:

4. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Personally, I enjoyed Season 6, and I liked April.

sbk1234 likes this.
  5. EnderAKH

I quite liked season 6, and I liked April. But what do I know, I also like Logan.

6. bigdaddy

You don't know much. :lol:

So do you dislike season 7? (no spoilers of course.)

7. EnderAKH

I definitely noticed the absence of ASP. It felt like a tribute band's version of Gilmore Girls.

8. bigdaddy

And yet still better than season 5 and 6 and 8 / Netflix by miles. :)

9. EnderAKH

I'm pretty sure I couldn't disagree with your opinion more strongly. Season 6 was not the show's strongest, but for me was not the dumpster fire you make it out to be. And both my wife and really enjoyed Season5 and the Netflix mini-series. I think the final four words would have had more impact at the end of the original show but was still fine even here, and there was a song that went on a bit long, but outside of that we really enjoyed it.

10. bigdaddy

So you think season 7 is the worst season?! It's the only season that Rory actually acts like a grown up, and that includes the Netflix movies. The storylines move forward and actually felt good.

Netflix movies Rory is a mega bitch again and the side characters are just useless. Fall and Spring were best, but Summer and Fall were just weird.

11. sbk1234

Just started season seven. I'm glad to get through season six, but I didn't think it was so bad.

12. sbk1234

Is ASP Amy Sherman-Palladino ?

13. bigdaddy

Yes. I call her 'What's her name" as I always forget it. :)

And she has a new show pilot on Amazon if anyone wants to take a look.

If you don't think season 6 with April and that horrible finale were bad then yay. I remember the Rory and Lorelai not talking going on forever. But in rewatching in binge it doesn't seem too long.

14. sbk1234

I just finished. What can I say? I like sappy shows. I very much enjoyed it. Tomorrow I'll start A Year in the Life.

15. bigdaddy

So what did you think of seven 7 as a whole and how it ended?

What do you think of Rory seasons 1-6 vs season 7?

A Year in the Life is both great and horrible at the same time so I can't wait to hear your views on it.

16. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

The pushback against A Year in the Life has started in earnest now, which I find hilarious, because back in November/December, the vast majority absolutely loved it (except for episode 3....I don't know anyone who liked episode 3). People had a few problems with Rory's arc but all in all, they were happy about being back in Stars Hollow.

Now it's like "OMG, A Year in the Life sucked donkey balls, nothing was good about it, please Netflix don't bring it back for a second series of films!"

Most of all though, since November, bloggers have been gnashing their teeth over Rory. "OMG, how can someone like her be in that situation in life at age 32?! This isn't feminist and it destroys her character!" The blogs and comments over that have started again in the wake of Alexis Bledel's latest comments about the events of the mini-series.

And to that I say....were these people even paying attention to Rory after season 4? Once she met Logan and learned how to be a snobby brat, all bets were off. It doesn't have to turn her whole personality, but once those traits take root in someone, it can change them just enough to alter their life path, where they think they're hot shit and lose touch to what made them successful in the first place. They think they're entitled to something without putting the work in just based on their track record, and so what happens is they drift around always looking for the perfect opportunity...because why should they settle? They're too GOOD to settle, don't you know. Everyone's always told them that. (in Rory's case, it was Logan, among others)

It doesn't mean they don't have talent or something to offer. It just means that they've let their ego cloud their view of things, and they've lost their way a bit. If they just re-directed their talents and efforts into something else, then may, just maybe they'd find their real niche, something they're really good at. But all too often they're wedded to this one idea, and they keep chasing it, even if it's all wrong for them. Re-directing your energies doesn't have to be akin to "settling."

I know someone like that in my own life, so that's why Rory's arc, while it was disappointing in a sense (because, come on....we've grown up with her and we want to like her, because we remember when she was someone who really could conquer the world if she wanted), was realistic. And that none of these bloggers understood that really surprised me. They couldn't see the forest from the trees.

Rory needed a grounding, a re-set. She got one. And although I have a few problems with A Year in the Life and some of it was indeed bad, I ultimately understood Rory's arc.

17. sbk1234

Just finished A Year in the Life. Overall I liked it. Episode three was very much the weak link. I'm not crazy about how they ended it on that "cliffhanger." Parts of it were very satisfying, such as Luke and Lorelei's story, and Emily's story. I like how they included Richard's memory. I had little problem with Rory's character, except for her treatment of Paul, and her affair with Logan.

18. bigdaddy

That is 90% of her character. Everyone in the Netflix series was bitcher to me. Rory tried Paul like shit for years, then Logan, then not even preparing for the interview, then not even being on birth control or bother to use a condom.

Emily's story was completely perfect, depressing, but perfect. Having lived on Nantucket I can see her fitting in their perfectly.

19. sbk1234

Although, to be fair, most birth control including condoms are not 100% fool proof. ;)

20. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

What you describe illustrates Gilmores' one fatal flaw: its intellectual pretense exists beyond the scope of its intended audience.