Spoilers Discoprise Engine Room Pictures...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by DaveyNY, Nov 14, 2019.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is my thing as well. I always felt like Engineering was too small at times for the type of reactor supposedly used.

I personally really like the Kelvin Enterprise design, including Engineering.

NeoStar9 likes this.
  2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'll drink to that.

Mage, Alan Roi, Henoch and 1 other person like this.
  3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I generally looked at engineering in TOS as simply a control & monitor room, with the actual later called warp core being elsewhere. Depending on what theory of the TOS Enterprise you subscribed to, all the big hardware was either in the nacelles or in multiple locations throughout the ship.

lawman likes this.
  4. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

That's been "about 30 years away" for at least 30 years now :D

One of these days I'm going to build a Farnsworth fusor just so I can say I have a nuclear reactor at home.

think likes this.
  5. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's kind of hard to say though, especially regarding speculated future technology that hasn't been invented in the real world. That's like saying ENIAC is obviously more powerful than your cellphone because there's no way a cellphone that size can process that much data. We know it's the other way around though.

A smaller warp core is also presumably easier to jettison. Also keep in mind that sometime between 2236 and 2254, a "time barrier" as mentioned in the Cage, some sort of warp limit, was broken and this was touted by Jose Tyler as a massive breakthrough. Engineering would have had to go through some sort of refit to accomodate this, resulting in constantly changing engine rooms possibly.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  6. fireproof78

Yes, of course, it is hard to say.

I'm just stating that based upon my limited understanding of reactors that the larger size appeals to me.

Yistaan likes this.
  7. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always liked the small but cramped engineerings where the warp core was, well, a core. The Defiant (and the first use from the Ent-E) and Voyager are my favourite sets.

Like a Fusion reaction, where you can be in the same room with it, or like on a submarine, where the control center is directly next to the reactor itself.

I always imagined the big, Willy Wonka-style machinery to be in the actual warp nacelles. Multiple decks and hundreds of meters of length of just bonkers powerfull magic engines. But engineering with the warp core itself? Should imo more be like a control room/science center.

lawman and Mytran like this.
  8. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I think what we see is actually pretty accurate.

In a Nuclear Reactor the fuel rods and housing are not that large, what takes up all the space is all the piping and controls to manage the temperature of the rods and heat the water which is used to power the turbines.

After all a Nuclear Reactor is really just a big radioactive kettle.

So all the pipe work that we see in both Discovery and Star Trek 2009 onward is pretty spot on as something similar would be required to carefully control a warp cores temperature, they wouldnt use water but I would expect a coolant of some kind would be needed.

Not to mention the piping required to transport the warp plasma to where it is used.

Plus everybody needs to visit the oval office every now and then, even a Starship needs plumbing.

NeoStar9, DEWLine, antinoos and 2 others like this.
  9. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I’ve mentioned this before, but as my buddy and I were walking out of ST’09 he commented, “That’s the first Enterprise I’d believe had a working toilet.”

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah but the entire rest of the ship looks like a science centre. If they go for the grungey below-decks feel (or whatever the Discoprise is trying for), you get more visual interest on the ship than another room that might as well be the bridge except for a warp reactor instead of a viewscreen.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  11. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Engineers love to change things in any case...

That the time barrier would have something to do with propulsion specifically is not established, though. All we know is that "Our new ships can - ooo, forget about ships, how about a 'ship? I mean, right now, like!". Yet we know of no sudden jump in the accessibility of warp factors between ENT and TOS, or of a sudden increase in the reach of Earth's spacecraft.

Perhaps Tyler can get the Columbia survivors to Earth faster than said survivors would expect because the new and stronger ships can fly there through the Time Barrier, no longer having to take the long route around it?

Timo Saloniemi

12. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know. I believe ships in what I call "present day futurism", like nuBattlestar Galactica, or the Alien universe, where everything works essentially by technology from the era the show is filmed in, have a good old plumbing-pipe system.

For a show as fantastic as Star Trek, with beaming, force fields, replicators, holograms, phasers and hover devices, something more futuristic is appropriate.

Hell, the present day space station ISS uses technology more advanced than in ST09, re-using their wastes essentially immediately after producing, directly on site.

I just think the idea of a starship with "plumbing" is a weirdly retro-futuristic/archaic idea, and not exactly science- or technologically progress-driven.

lawman and Donald G like this.
  13. fireproof78

Star Trek has abandoned progressive tech for a while.

14. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's too bad they chose to go such a wild direction with it, given how they have tried to make other ares of the Discoprise at least look a little similar to their TOS counterparts.

Plus, I always felt that THIS (the Engineering lab in Discovery):

[​IMG]

Was very evocative of the TOS Main Engineering - especially because of the mysterious red-ish glowing pipes and stuff in the background behind a big screen that both share versions of:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I was hoping we'd get something just a bit similar-ish for the Discoprise.

lawman, ATimson, Rahul and 1 other person like this.
  15. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Full agreement. Honestly, I expected that if we ever saw the engine room of the Enterprise, it would be a redress of the spore lab. It wouldn't take much.

But I think I can live with it.

Lexomatic and bryce like this.
  16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I'm hoping that what They showed us, is the area just below what would be the room in that pic...

That the round cap-like thing at the top is essentially in the same place as in TOS.

[​IMG]

fireproof78 and Jesse1066 like this.
  17. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  18. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mrs. Whittaker's Doctor is such a refreshing change in attitude on such matters!
    That said, I do look forward to seeing how the Discoprise cutaways end up looking...

19. fireproof78

Still like it.