Directors cut

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Bigjoe, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Premium Member

Ohhh, ignorantly animating "on twos" for the V'ger bridge building part (no one does effects animation on twos), totally redesigning San Francisco from how it was intended and originally presented to retcon it consistent with later movies, ripping part of a wall out of the Air Tram station to put a goddamned TOS shuttle in, changing 82 AUs to 2 AUs because reasons, breaking the otherwise perfectly consistent directional continuity of the Enterprise in their new asteroid explosion shot, and adding a lower-third text for San Francisco which is utterly unnecessary and inconsistent with the rest of the film which features precisely none of them. I'll stop now.

Kor, PhotoBoy, Lance and 3 others like this.
  2. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

I can't necessarily comment on some of those other nitpicks, but changing the dialogue to say V'Ger's cloud is 2 AUS vs. 82 AUs makes sense to me - 82 AUs is more than the diameter of our entire solar system, which is pretty far-fetched even for such an impressive starship which generates its own gravity field. They probably went with 82 in 1979 as "2 (technobabbles)" didn't sound impressive enough for a casual audience.

3. Maurice

They went with 82 AUs precisely because it was the size of the solar system. And since the general audiences have no clue what an A.U. is, it was a meaningless fannish change. 2 anythings doesn't sound as impressive as 82. "I ate two cookies" v. "I ate 82 cookies". :D

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Lance and CorporalCaptain like this.
  4. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wise was involved in the so-called Director's Edition, but not as intimately as some assume. He wasn't personally asked to reassemble his intended version. In fact, Wise's intended version allegedly would have been more brutal and cut down than either the theatrical cut or the DE. What the DE actually is, is a compromise between the theatrical version, the ABC edit (the so-called 'special longer version), and Wise's notes about how he'd have liked to finish off the movie. Wise was complimentary at the time of the work done on the DE, but the work itself was, at least in large part, not Wise's. Most of it in fact were precursors of the kind of thing that TOS-Remastered would do, changes on matte paintings and the occasional CGI spaceship, but nothing close to as different from the theatrical version as its often made out to be. Nor, indeed, as different as Wise himself likely would have done it.

5. Maurice

Yep. The DE is longer than the theatrical cut, but in 1980 Wise said he could easily cut the film by "six minutes" at least. Having read some of the specific cuts he mentioned my heart sunk watching the DE because I realized so much of what changed were fannish rather than cinematic concerns. This isn't to say there aren't some good adjustments and changes in there, but where they chose to put their efforts—like changing San Francisco, which barely needed any attention—or reverting to earlier designs after they were rejected—like Vulcan, mess that is was in the theatrical cut—when other things in the film really needed addressing, is what sticks in my craw.

CorporalCaptain and Lance like this.
  6. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Judging by Robert Wise's age and condition of health at the time, I've always doubted that he had a whole lot of personal involvement in the project. It seemed more like Fein, Matessino, Dochterman, et al's baby, with certain arbitrary changes made according to their preferences.

Kor

Maurice likes this.
  7. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

He did on-camera interviews, took part in the commentary (Which he was cool enough to point out Star Trek trivia!), was part of the publicity, did interviews with other websites, wrote a little note for the DVD paper insert ect. If this is your idea of small involvement, I'd LOVE to know what a huge involvement would look like!

MFB and Grant like this.