Different Ways in Which Established Holidays are Celebrated

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Arpy, Nov 12, 2019.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Pakleds celebrate Halloween by bothering passing ships with "trick or things that make us go".

XCV330, Arpy and Spot261 like this.
  2. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

I plan to crash the science lab Christmas Party, get drunk and hit on the pretty psychiatrist with a background in rehabilitative therapy....:adore:

3. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I once saw an episode of a show from Japan, Detective Conan/Case Closed, where a character talked about Christmas customs which sounded rather different from those in the USA. Since only a small minority of Japanese are Christians, it is a bit more surprising that anyone there celebrates Christmas than that they do it differently from in the USA. Considering the many differences between Christmas in various Christian majority countries, it should not be surprising that a basically polytheistic country might celebrate Christmass differently.

As I remember, Christianity would have been known only as an exotic religion practiced by a small number of Chinese and Central Asians until about 450 years ago, and then it would be known mostly as an exotic religion practiced by European visitors and a rather small group of converts. The Shogunate abolished Christianity in Japan almost 400 years ago, and many foreign and Japanese Christians were martyred.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyrs_of_Japan

After Japan was opened to the west in the 1850s Christianity was legalized in Japan and missionaries began converting Japanese. I believe that about one percent of the Japanese population is more or less Christian now. But with considerable exposure to Western Culture a lot of western practices have caught on in Japan. Since most Japanese have no problem practicing Buddhism and Shinto at the same time, I hear that many also have no problem with Christian wedding ceremonies.

Anyway, here is a link to a page about Christmas in Japan, which is not totally similar to American Christmas:

https://www.whychristmas.com/cultures/japan.shtml

And so I think that it is possible that in the world of Star Trek some alien societies pick up a lot of practices from other planets and other species, and thus that some practice some Earth holidays and put their own twists on them.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

On Earth, humans use Memorial Day to remember those who fell in the War on Christmas.

Arpy and Spot261 like this.
  5. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

The Klingons almost began a war on Christmas, then Space General Washington crossed the Delaware Asteroid Belt to capture their invasion force. Now the Klingons celebrate Washington’s Birthday...for spite.

...I think it’s on Guy Fawkes Day on Earth. Which is now celebrated with Mariachi. And Romulan fireworks.

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  6. at Quark's

As for the Christmas (and Eastern) examples; those already are weird amalgams of both Christian and other (e.g. pagan) influences (even before considering Christmas is now also celebrated in non-christian countries). The church may have enforced its celebration, but it was not above 'marketing' it and allowing older customs to continue existing under a new guise.

Apparently 'transplanting' a celebration into another culture is not that hard.

Arpy likes this.
  7. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Or rather the church co opted much of what was already there and rebranded it?

8. at Quark's

To me that's just a slightly different way of putting it? (Don't really see the difference with what I said.)

9. Spot261

Probably is, from a certain point of view.

10. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

Why not have humans celebrate alien holidays? There are certainly humans in the 24th century who really love alien cultures... at least, we've seen it in "CHILDREN OF TIME" and "REAL LIFE", even though he was a hologram.

Andorian holiday: General Thy'lek Shran Day - humans honor him the same way Andorians do: surviving a day in the coldest regions of Andoria (or Antarctica, if you're on Earth) with only an ice cutter as your tool.

Arpy likes this.
  11. Boris Skrbic

Boris Skrbic Commodore Commodore

But this isn’t about the fact that there will always be individuals or groups interested in cultural exchange. It’s about the imperialist, grand assumption that of course Klingons as a society celebrate Easter, so we only need to imagine how. Sure, it’s also a joke and not too funny (more like har-har, being far removed from the canon rather than rely on subtle insider knowledge like GQ does), so I don’t really see what it has to do with general Trek discussion — best to try and use these boards’ flexible notion of topic in order to steer the discussion elsewhere.

12. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm trying to picture how the story of Noah's Ark would go. As Qo'nos only seems to have a single, all-purpose species of animal, the targ, I suspect the Ark would've been a lot smaller.

Wait, fridge brilliance: That's WHY they only have a single species of animal now!

Spot261 and XCV330 like this.
  13. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Take Your Daughter To Work Day: Borg Edition: start by looking for the Hansen's space minivan

Ramadan as practiced by the Founders: they're so into it they don't eat AFTER sundown, either

Christmas on New Eden: only one building gets lit up on the whole planet and Pike has to bring replacement bulbs each year.

Risan Valentine's Day: Edible Horg'hans with little messages printed on them that I can't repeat, here

Vulcan Ayyam-i-Ha. Everyone exchange presents for four or five days and ponder how to reconcile a 19 day calendar with stardates and the equinox. The subsequent 19 days of fasting is only logical after all the plomeek consumed.

NX01 Thanksgiving: Trip ejects the pumpkin pie batter into space, forcing Chef to make Pecan Pie.

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

04D2A582-B302-48A3-894B-A7441D936805.jpeg

15. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Klingon Rite of Ascension Earth style - adopted by BDSM clubs all over Sol ' pain sticks turn us on'!

Klingon Rite of Ascension Vulcan style - adopted by Kolinaru trainees all over 40 Eridani 'there is no pain!'

Klingon Rite of Ascension Risian style - adopted by the Risian travel agency 'insert pain stick in lower orifice for jamaharon'

Klingon Rite of Ascension Andorian style - adopted by the Andor imperial guard 'painsticks re useful for cutting off antenna'

Klingon Rite of Ascension Betazoid style - not gonna happen! We'll take chocolate instead

Arpy, Spot261 and 1001001 like this.
  16. Spot261

It would involve a Klingon sleeper ship, obviously.

Silvercrest likes this.
  17. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Christmas on Vulcan - illogical
    Easter on Vulcan - illogical
    Thanksgiving on Vulcan - illogical
    Diwali on Vulcan - illogical
    Eaid on Vulcan - illogical
    Valentine's day on Vulcan - every 7 Earth years

XCV330 and Spot261 like this.
  18. at Quark's

"Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the Empire between the heavens will belong to them .... after I've given them a warrior's education, second to none!" ?

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Klingon Christmas - The family gets together at the Great House for a banquet, thee to five bat'leth fights, gift giving. By the 24th century there are complaints it's become too commercialized, as evidenced by
    Klingon Black Friday - It's a fucking battlefield at the mall, or especially at Klingon Wal-Mart.

Henoch likes this.
  20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Airing of grievances, feats of strength...I think Festivus would be right up the Klingons' alley.

1001001 likes this.