Did "Natural Law" Feature the Preservers?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Albertese, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

On the home stretch of my complete Voyager viewing and I just finished "Natural Law," where Chakotay and Seven crash into the nature preserve on that planet and have to figure out how to shut down the mysterious force field placed there by ancient aliens to protect the primitive natives.

The ancient aliens in question were said to have set up the field to protect the primitives from being steamrolled by their more technologically advanced cousins. And they did this "hundreds of years ago" which would place them more or less in the same time period as when the Preservers transplanted Miramanee's ancestors from Earth as seen in "The Paradise Syndrome" [TOS].

Now, granted, the modus operandi is a little different, having cordoned off a section of their normal homeworld rather than whisking them away like the American Indians of the 18th-ish Century, but the basic mission seems pretty similar.

Did anyone else make this connection while watching the episode? Was there any backstage info suggesting that someone on the writing staff was intentionally trying to invoke the Preservers from TOS?

Apologies if this is old news. I must admit that I never was a Voyager fan before, so I'm a bit late to the party. Though now that I've pushed through it, I've found a lot of it to be quite enjoyable.

--Alex

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Refuge likes this.
  2. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Hope someone makes the connection for you.. my TOS is rusty. Goodness knows why, as it was re-run a lot.

3. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I'm not sure the preservers were likely based in the alpha quadrant, maybe.

4. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

this is the first time I've thought about this. My guess is that there would be no connection since this was in the Delta Quadrant but you never know. I'm not as familiar with TOS, sorry. Have you posted this in the TOS board? Maybe someone there has some better thoughts.