Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Whiskey ain't cheap, trust me.

2. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Absolutely. We're drunks, but we're drunks with standards, dammit!

(My sideboard includes or has included, among others, Dalmore, Macallan, Glenfarclas, Talisker, Oban, and Glenkeith, that last one solely so I could say that there was a bottle of Scotch at home with my name on it -- the stuff itself is pretty poor.)

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

When I'm writing, I have to watch the budget, so my creative fuel is Jack Daniel's, a reliable Tennessee sour mash whiskey. When I'm drinking for pleasure or a special toast, it's single malt Scotch — usually a wee dram of The Macallan, Balvenie, Oban, Ardbeg, or Glenmorangie.

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

^^^ Wow, I think I might need to go and have a scotch myself after getting those two responses!

If I ever make it over the pond to Shore leave or either of you come to a Con here, I'll be sure what to buy you in the bar.

5. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

You see, there's my problem. Maybe I'd get more done in writing with whiskey as opposed to beer.

6. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Well, sure. For one thing, you'll need to get up to pee less frequently when you stick to whiskey. (Same inebriation with less volume. It's a beautiful thing.)

7. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

I gotta get me some whiskey...

(Or some drunk monkeys.)

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

That's why I prefer the stronger ales and barley wines made by smaller breweries to corporate domestic beer. You get the wholesome goodness of beer and the stronger alcohol content of the fire water all in one. :techman:

9. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Wild Turkey is rather tasty, as well.

10. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

and why I go for light beer when I'm at a party. I drink scotch at the same rate as beer, volume wise.

11. Idoliside

Idoliside Commander Red Shirt

Real Ales, Soft Lager or if i'm at a party or watching Black Books....WINE!

12. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

mmm, Wild Turkey. I like that stuff.

13. marplanauta

marplanauta Commander Red Shirt

Destiny and spoilers

I really want to read the Destiny trilogy, but im worried about spoiling books that i haven´t read and are before it on trek lit chronology.

I have read DS9 Relaunch upto Demons of Air and Darkness, and haven´t read TNG post Nemesis books or Titan books...

if I read Destiny will i be spoiled?

14. CommanderJMic

CommanderJMic Commander Red Shirt

Re: Destiny and spoilers

my guess would be yes, but more for TNG and Titan than for DS9

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I think that for the TNG relaunch and Titan there will be some major spoilers revealed if you read destiny (this is my assumption though). Trek lit has taken on its own continuity. I would recommend that you read the five current TNG relaunch books before Destiny at least (Death in Winter, Resistance, Q&A, Before Dishonor, and Greater Than the Sum).

16. Brefugee

It would be a fair assumption that their will be information contained with in the Destiny Trilogy. Just remember that while you are catching up, everything will be out of context with out readng Articles of the Federation :rommie:

17. Brefugee

Destiny: What we know - major spoilers may feature

Okay ladies, gentlemen and transgendered species, with the first Destiny book Gods of Night out soon and with the uber thread being a tad large, I thought I'd put my journalistic/research skills to some use, of course, a I won't be able to recap everything which has been said on the subject of Destiny, but here goes......

WHAT WE KNOW WILL NOT HAPPEN:

The Fleet is desimated - rumours have been spreading that all but 11 starships will survive the carnage - someone (one of the editors I think) made a flipant remark at a Con about this, and Fans and Journos alike clung onto this information. Well this is wrong, Mr Mack himself has said as much, we all know how much death and distruction occurs in his novels, but please, think about it, ELEVEN starships left out of a god knows how big a fleet, thats a little excessive and would be exceptionally bad.

Thats about it, as we all know, David Mack is Mr Death in the TLW (Trek Lit World) so anything goes as long as it makes a good story.

WHAT WE THINK WILL HAPPEN:

Lots and lots of death, possibly even one major character death (this is just me speculating) and I don't mean just the characters from the various TV series, it could easily be Vale on Titan or Bowers on Avintine, it would be safe to assume that a few characters, whether Lit only, or from from television will kick the bucket!

The Fall of Earth: Okay, I must admit this is solely my own opinion and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. BUT as I've said in a previous post, I believe that given how the Borg have been in the past, Earth would be prime target number one. Now, I don't know how it will be handled, but I hope the entire system is wiped from exsistance, I know this could be classed as over kill, but it would make bloody good reading and with out hopefully without a reset button, the stories which could be told after would be very interesting.

WHAT WE KNOW WILL HAPPEN:

It's long, three hundred thousand words and it's been compared to the Lord of the Rings.

Everything changes, the events of Destiny will better or worse dictate the books that are published post Destiny.

We know that at least some of our heroes suvive as TNG and Titan will have new books next year.

Ezri Dax will have her own Starship which will be pretty powerful given it's gone toe to toe against a Borg Cube and survived to tell the tale.

The United Federation of Planets as well as the other major powers of the Alpha/Beta Quadrant are not up for assimilation, but annialation, they are on their back foot not knowing how the Borg are attacking each planet and because of this, they are on their back foot.

Ok, thats about it, feel free to add to the list, and I have not read Destiny and all that features above is a very excited fan geeking out and speculating :cardie:

18. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Surprisingly I don't drink, but I'm enjoying this thread.

19. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

really? I have titan 3 + 4 and Articles (which I bought yesterday) waiting to be read before destiny. I gave up with number 3 half way through but I am willing to give it another go. but I have no intention of reading any of the TNG relaunch stuff before destiny.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, hence the laughing smiley. It's a hackneyed joke, albeit a mutated one. It used to be "You have to read [insert any or every book] to understand AotF," and now it's somehow become "You have to read AotF to understand [insert other book]."