Dedication-Class 3D buildup

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Mojomoe, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Commander Red Shirt

Hey all!

Mark Kingsnorth (who designed the Insignia-Class) contacted me recently and asked if it was ok if he made a mesh of my Dedication-Class design (formerly Enterprise-F contestant, now happily bowing to Adam's gorgeous design!). Not only is it more than ok, but it was also very nice of him to ask if he could use it as a project base!

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?77955-Chris-Madden-s-Dedication-Class

He's started a 3D buildup over at scifi-meshes, and since it would be transparently toolbaggish of me to throw myself a plug like this, I'm mainly posting to show off his awesome interpretation of the (fairly limited) concept I did. He's an awesome designer and modeler, and I'm uber-excited to see what types of interpretations and improvements he's gonna make to the design!

We've already had some good conversations about overall sizing, textural treatments, and the like, and I'd love to hear anyone's feedback on the design as it was painted or as it develops.

Oh, BTW, since she's not the Enterprise-F, and since she's the "Dedication Class" (and I'm a huge space buff), I was thinking about naming her the U.S.S. Discovery. This would place it in a sisterhood of five ships, Discovery, Endeavour, Atlantis, Columbia, Challanger, and Buran, after the 6 earth shuttles. Now of all times I find that a fitting homage.

Oh, yes. And the super-sexy part is, when it's done I'm gonna do a large-format (~15") 3D printed model of this for my shelf. Hotcha!

Oh, PPPS - if making a post that is primarily linking to another BBS is somehow in violation of rules, I humbly obey and withdraw the post.

shapeshifter likes this.
  2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

awesome work on it so far :) :techman:

3. judexavier

judexavier Commander Red Shirt

"I'm mainly posting to show off his awesome interpretation of the (fairly limited) concept I did."

Fairy limited?!!!? :) That was my favorite entry image...beautiful painting.

Keep posting! :) (And maybe a blog about your technique)...

4. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice to see this one fleshed out.. :cool:

5. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I would love that painting as my background, but I think it would mess up the dimensions.

6. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Commander Red Shirt

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Though this borders on blasphemy, I think you may have out-Proberted Probert.
    This is already a personal favorite. You took the best aspects of the refit era, and made them more futuristic without losing any of TMP's sweep.

The only other ship that rival it was the early NX-01 concept that japme fleshed out as his (non-ringship) Declearation class over at scifi-meshes, or Redbellpeppers TOS Ent but with a souped up look.

shapeshifter likes this.
  8. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

flippin' gorgeous!! :eek:

9. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. Mojomoe's is design (and his painting of it) really knocks your socks off. Excellent job!