Deck Plans VI: The Undiscovered Bowling Alley

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Captain Robert April, May 30, 2008.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The name Gary Kerr crops up every now and then, but where is his work published? Or was it just done for a studio or something?

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

If it was leading somewhere, I would've kept it larger, but since it doesn't appear to really lead anywhere, I just did this for everyone's amusement.

As soon as Shaw cooks up the final configuration, I'll put together something a bit more monstrous. :D

3. Captain Robert April

I don't know if his stuff has been published anywhere, but he is the one guy who's had hands-on access to both the TOS and TMP ship models, and therefore, has the most accurate blueprints, commissioned by Paramount, and are only available to licensees who are doing something related to either of those two ships.

He's also been known to post in these parts, so don't be surprised if he shows up and corrects something I just said.

4. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

i dont know if he ever took a whack at the E-D but i've also seen some great drawings of his, of the E-C before it was converted to the yamato.

i also believe there are still jpegs of his refit drawings over on the culttvman site.

5. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Well, first and foremost, I want everyone to remember that I'm only promising to do my best. I hope to side step issues I've seen in the works of Sinclair and Casimiro, but that doesn't rule out all new errors on my part.

The story that I read of Kerr's access to the original Enterprise was that he wasn't originally able to take all the measurements that he wanted when he was with the model in person and had to rely on Miarecki for additional measurements. His work was linked to a project that has been put on indefinite hold and is therefore unavailable for public viewing (though he has made his work available for private projects).

By contrast, I'm trying to make my work as open to the public as possible for projects just like this one.

I hope to have something a little more useful (at a much higher resolution) as soon as I've gotten the bills out of the way. :techman:

6. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

7. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

His plans have been used for a ton of models (like Unobtainium, Master Replicas and Custom Replicas), but his plans themselves are tied up and are not open to the public. Getting a model based on his plans isn't the same as getting his plans any more than getting the PL TOS 1/1000 Enterprise is like getting Sasser's plans (which are also quite nice from what I've seen).

As for his work on the R2 1/350 Enterprise, I'm sure it is quite high quality, but that isn't the real question. The real question is if R2 can make a model. His involvement is nice, but if the model never actually happens it won't have made any difference. At this point, a 1/350 kit is a nice idea people keep dangling in front of us and little more.

His plans have been tied up for years... and while it seems like the 1/350 kit has been talked about for nearly as long, that obviously isn't the project.

But if you want the details, you can always ask him.

8. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks guys - not the best news about Kerr's plans, but at least I'm a little more enlightened now!

9. Captain Robert April

10. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yay.

I like monstrous. :)

11. Captain Robert April

Yeah, I wanna do these nice and ginormous.

12. Captain Robert April

Just to let y'all know that I'm not completely idle on this matter, here's a little something I doodled on the back of an Einstein Brothers Bagels receipt...

[​IMG]

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Where's the Funland Water Turbine ride?

14. Captain Robert April

In the holodeck, where it belongs.

15. Captain Robert April

First swipe....

[​IMG]

16. AnyStar

AnyStar Captain Captain

very interesting. i always envisioned the spheres at each end as more of hemi-spherical caps than actually continuing full 360.

17. therealfoxbat

therealfoxbat Commander Red Shirt

It's supposed to be a transparent hemi-spherical cap covering what could be either a spherical or hemi-spherical rotating "fan" (for lack of a better word). However, I'm not seeing whatever it is that would allow the inner "fan" structure to rotate...

18. Captain Robert April

I'm borrowing a page from Shaw's book and trying not to explain each and every bit of technology on the ship, just the general idea.

19. therealfoxbat

therealfoxbat Commander Red Shirt

Nor do we expect you to. I just figured the forward sphere should be attached to SOMETHING internal...

20. Captain Robert April

At that scale, you probably just don't see it.

Or, it's also entirely possible that I haven't finished the drawing yet. :D