DC Comics Ongoing Discussion

Yeah, I'm with him on this one. Lex is evil, but at least he's not as unstable as the Joker.

To paraphrase From Dusk Til Dawn: "Lex Luthor maybe be an asshole but he's not a f***ing asshole!"

Who thinks working for the Joker is a good idea? Even Harley Quinn quit that gig and she's fruitier than a nutcake.

Report that DC's next big event is Dawn of DC which crosses over twenty different titles.

https://www.cbr.com/dawn-of-dc-year...BXX02G5ud47CamgAXUiHkIsa5zTlDXYFF6DsQPrqJzt8s

DC has a poor track record with these kinds of events. They love doing the big multiverse changing line wide event every couple of years, but they are pretty miserable in the follow through and not really being able to keep there ship on course.

As for revamping there title selection, we just had this two years ago--and now I am down to 3 DC titles in January. I am glad that John Stewart is getting his own Green Lantern title, but I hope they don't just make him a regular GL again. As for the other titles, there is not much there that I am interested in.

Last edited:
Report that DC's next big event is Dawn of DC which crosses over twenty different titles.

https://www.cbr.com/dawn-of-dc-year...BXX02G5ud47CamgAXUiHkIsa5zTlDXYFF6DsQPrqJzt8s

DC has a poor track record with these kinds of events. They love doing the big multiverse changing line wide event every couple of years, but they are pretty miserable in the follow through and not really being able to keep there ship on course.

As for revamping there title selection, we just had this two years ago--and now I am down to 3 DC titles in January. I am glad that Jon Stewart is getting his own Green Lantern title, but I hope they don't just make him a regular GL again. As for the other titles, there is not much there that I am interested in.
Agreed on John Stewart. As for the other titles, I'm guessing the Superboy title will star Conner Kent, which might be for me, and both Green Arrow and Shazam! (Waid & Mora) are possible books to follow for me. Also, the graphic shows a Hawk-logo, so I'm curious if that's another title to be announced.

Also, February solicits are out.

Notes:

- The new Superman title by Williamson & Campbell launches. So there for it.
- Lazarus Planet continues (concludes?) with three more one-shots. As said last month, probably an eventual buy of collected editions, but for now I've got to keep my finances in check.
- Lotta Milestone titles launching, new Static mini-series (that's a delayed launch, I think this was originally solicited months ago), Icon vs Hardware mini, and a Milestone Anniversary one-shot. Probably will buy the one-shot, the minis I'll trade-wait.
- Shazamily Matters one-shot, sounds interesting. Maybe.
- Reprint of the Batman 1989 movie adaptation by O'Neil & Ordway, which I never got before, announced for June to coincide with the Flash movie. Yeah, probably will get that.
- Whiz Comics #2 facsimile is quite tempting.

Agreed on John Stewart. As for the other titles, I'm guessing the Superboy title will star Conner Kent, which might be for me, and both Green Arrow and Shazam! (Waid & Mora) are possible books to follow for me. Also, the graphic shows a Hawk-logo, so I'm curious if that's another title to be announced.

A Conner Kent title might be nice, although I really enjoyed the Jon Kent series. Glad Superman is back in his own title, though I wish they would just return to legacy numbering as Superman is such an iconic DC Comic. I'm curious about the Hawk logo too. I am a little wary of the GA series but a fan of the character; Shazam! by Waid is interesting, and a new Titans series I would be down for. Still no Justice League or Legion announced, but I can't wait to read the new JSA. For February, I have four titles although the Sandman Mystery Theatre collection is particularly appealing to me as I used to read that series when it came out.

SUPERMAN #1
Action Comics #1052
Blue Beetle Graduation Day #4
Justice Society of America #4

I am glad that Jon Stewart is getting his own Green Lantern title, but I hope they don't just make him a regular GL again.
They probably won't, he's a busy man.
Jon-Stewart-Green-Lantern.jpg

I might give Green Lantern: Hal Jordan a try. I really enjoyed Mariko Tamaki's run on Detective Comics. I'll also get Superman, but I think that will be the extant of it for me.

So I just belatedly read Tom King's Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, and I thought it was astonishing. One of the better DC graphic novels I've ever read.

I remember some grousing from fans when the miniseries was coming out that Kara is shown getting drunk, cursing (a lot), and generally not acting like a perfect paragon of virtue at every moment. To me, that's a case of missing the point by miles. For all her rougher personal edges, King's Kara ends up being one of the more genuinely heroic and inspiring versions of the character ever presented, IMO.

In a way, it's a lot like what I've heard many times about Man of Steel from that film's fans -- that Clark's difficulties and uncertainties make him more heroic, not less. In Woman of Tomorrow, Kara's struggles and pain are foregrounded, but it just makes her shine more brightly when she perseveres and overcomes and inspires -- which she very explicitly does here, in a way that had me setting the book aside to wipe away tears before continuing.

King's Superman: Up in the Sky has received much praise, and rightly so, but I think Woman of Tomorrow is even better. And Bilquis Evely's art is simply gorgeous, making the book a treat for the eyes as well as for the mind and spirit. Very highly recommended.

I've got the entire series sitting in my read pile. I'm going to have to carve out some time to read it.

it's a lot like what I've heard many times about Man of Steel from that film's fans -- that Clark's difficulties and uncertainties make him more heroic, not less.
That’s IT! [/Charlie Brown] ;)

(Was on the fence about this title but I’ll probably get it now.)

I might bench for the Joker. Luther I might talk to about spaceflight and such…but Joker is more interesting.
Luthor might kill you if you fail or are of more use to him dead, but the Joker might kill you for a laugh.
Also, if you're in Joker's gang, you'd go up against Batman, while on Luthor's team you'd be more likely to go up against Superman. Chances of victory against Superman are vastly worse, even as bad as they are against Batman, but Batman might break some bones. Superman takes greater care not to seriously injur his human opponents. Finally, the Joker doesn't really care about money, so you're probably not gonna get rich around him. Luthor might not send you to rob banks or anything, either, but he's rich enough that you'd probably be paid fairly well as long as the gig lasts.

Luthor might kill you if you fail or are of more use to him dead, but the Joker might kill you for a laugh.
Also, if you're in Joker's gang, you'd go up against Batman, while on Luthor's team you'd be more likely to go up against Superman. Chances of victory against Superman are vastly worse, even as bad as they are against Batman, but Batman might break some bones. Superman takes greater care not to seriously injur his human opponents. Finally, the Joker doesn't really care about money, so you're probably not gonna get rich around him. Luthor might not send you to rob banks or anything, either, but he's rich enough that you'd probably be paid fairly well as long as the gig lasts.

I’m thinking book deal “The Last Laugh of…” whatever:)

Thing is, if its unflattering (and who could predict what he'd find "unflattering"), the Joker would come to kill you in a particularly amusing way. Luthor would probably just sue you for slander.

Christopher Priest is writing a ten-issue maxi-series called Superman: Lost:
SUPERMAN: LOST #1

Written by CHRISTOPHER PRIEST
Art and cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN and JASON PAZ
Variant covers by JOE QUESADA and LEE WEEKS
1:25 B&W variant cover by JOE QUESADA
1:50 foil variant cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN and JASON PAZ
$4.99 US | 32 pages | 1 of 10 | Variant $5.99
US ON SALE 3/14/23
SUPERMAN'S ODYSSEY OF SOLITUDE! After Superman is called away on a routine Justice League mission, Lois Lane awakens to find a complete stranger standing in her living room. The Man of Steel, home much sooner than expected, reveals he has, in fact, been lost in space for 20 years. Nothing and no one seem familiar to him anymore, and the timeless bond between them has been severed...or has it? Can love conquer all? Superman's 85th anniversary celebration continues with this all new blockbuster 10-issue, self-contained series from the creators of the Eisner-nominated Deathstroke series!

Preview here:

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/s...nced-dc-christopher-priest-carlo-pagulayan/#2

Seems like Priest has taken the quote in my sig to heart. I'll be trade-waiting as always, but this is one I'll anticipate eagerly.

Back