David Warner Passes

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by TedShatner10, Jul 25, 2022.

1. JaxsBrokenHeart

JaxsBrokenHeart Commander Red Shirt

Warner's entire career is worth gushing about (he's still the Ra's al Ghul to me) but there's something deeply special to me about him acting against Shatner and Stewart in two opposite roles and pulling off both effortlessly. His film stuff is worth checking out first and I have second the talk about checking out his Big Finish audio work.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Warner was on David Morrissey's podcast, Who Am I This Time?, one of those podcasts with an actor talking about their craft, last year. (Morrissey is very good at eliciting conversation in this, and I think it's one of the better examples in the genre.) While the interview is mainly about The Omen, Warner also talks about some of his other work, including A Christmas Carol.

He was originally cast as Jacob Marley, but Warner didn't want to do another sinister character at that time and he had his agent push for Bob Cratchet. During the shoot, Warner mainly hung out with George C. Scott in his trailer, and they played Trivial Pursuit. Scott insisted the answers to questions about Patton were incorrect!

I was listening to some of his BBC audio work this evening -- specifically, BBC Radio 4's 2014 The Once and Future King, in which he plays Merlyn -- but I think 2011's The History of Titus Groan, adapting Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast novels, may boast one of Warner's finest performances. He plays a character called The Artist, a painter nearing the end of his own life who lives on an island, and Titus Groan tells him the story of his childhood, his escape from his family and Gormenghast, and the world he finds beyond Gormenghast's walls. It offered me the key to Gormenghast that had always eluded me, and Warner's character helped me to understand some things I went through in my own life.

TheAlmanac, The Nth Doctor and Amaris like this.
  3. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

RIP. I'll always remember his unforgettable performances as Gorkon, and as Aldous Gajic on Babylon 5. It was a memorable guest appearance.

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

RIP David Warner.

I always had a soft spot for Time After Time. He and Malcolm were great together.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

What's so wonderful about that film is that I imagine you could have swapped roles with Warner playing HG Wells and McDowell as Jack the Ripper and I bet it would have still worked.

Anyway a great actor, wonderful in anything he starred in. RIP, Mr Warner.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yes, you totally could! In fact, they were rather cast against type. Their "energy" in real life was probably opposite of how they were cast.

The Nth Doctor and Starkers like this.
  7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

8. Roundabout

Roundabout Commander Red Shirt

Whether it was his role in Tron, Time After Time or Titanic, he often played a bad guy. But he did it so well.

His interaction with Stewart in "Chain of Command" was tremendous. In honor of his memorable, convincing performance as Gul Madred, I say "There are five lights!"

RIP.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I always thought it inexplicable that they cast him in TFF in a fairly thankless role, rather than as Sybok, so it was great to see him in 2 subsequent iconic (within trek, anyway) roles, Gorkon and Madred.

10. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I always wanted to check out his Doctor Who Unbound audios. His Doctor sounded great.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  11. Allyn Gibson

Warner talks about St. John Talbot in the David Morrissey podcast I mention above as an example of how American scriptwriters will give English characters ridiculous names. His character in The Omen had a ridiculous name in the original script (when it was called "Birthmark"), and he also cites Miles Richardson's character in A Princess for Christmas, who's named "Paisley Winterbottom."

TheAlmanac and Captaindemotion like this.
  12. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

they followed up with putting his Doctor into the Bernice Summerfield New Adventures (series 3 onwards with S7 coming out in September)

somebuddyX likes this.
  13. Allyn Gibson

In the original "Birthmark" script, his character was named "Hayden Payne." He said he or his agent suggested renaming the character.

TedShatner10 likes this.
  14. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Well it's kinda amusing that David Warner in Tron not only played crooked Encom programmer Dillinger but within the inner cyberspace he also played Sark warlord and voiced the evil AI.

And to hammer home how old Tron really is now you see how relatively youthful Mr. Warner and Jeff Bridges looked...

somebuddyX likes this.
  15. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

I think he voiced something for Tron Legacy too, like an extra scene. I'm sure he talks to his son at one point or something.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amusing? Not really.

All programs in the ENCOM system look like their Users. So naturally Sark (and the MCP) would share Dillinger's features, since he created them both.

Same goes for Flynn/Clu, Alan/Tron, Gibbs/Dumont, Lora/Yori, Peter/Sark's Lieutenant....etc. That's just the way it works in the system. If you are a programmer, any programs you create will exist in the computer world as...copies of you.

(Fun fact: The ENCOM programmer - in the original Tron - who asks Alan if he could have some of his popcorn...is Ram's User. And had a fairly big part in that "Flynn Lives" arc.)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    Admiral2 likes this.
  17. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Well it's amusing David Warner was essentially talking to himself for most of the movie.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That would have been a tad on the nose if they hadn't changed it!

Allyn Gibson likes this.