David Ogden Stiers RIP

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MikeH92467, Mar 4, 2018.

1. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

I regret to report that David Ogden Stiers, who starred in M*A*S*H as well as the excellent TNG episode "Half a Life" has died at 75. Cancer. He also was a talented voice actor who had a featured role in the Anime classic "Porco Rosso". :(

Random_Spock likes this.
  2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Sad news. I've always enjoyed his work. Talked with him for about 5 seconds once in the early 80's when he asked me for directions.

4. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I was very sad when I learned this. He was a brilliant actor with a magnificent voice. He always brought such thoughtfulness and humanity to his roles.

Random_Spock likes this.
  6. marlboro

marlboro Guest

He played a blind murderer in a memorable episode of Matlock.

RIP

7. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

I've been watching MASH reruns on WGN America off and on today. Season 7, if it matters. A lesser actor would have turned the pomposity of Charles Emerson Winchester, III, into sheer buffoonery. He gave the character heart and made us care.

RIP :(

8. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"You can cut me off from the civilized world, you can incarcerate me with two moronic cell mates, you can poison me with your thrice daily swill but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice will be heard from this wilderness and I will be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer.”-Major Charles Emerson Winchester III

Every time MASH replaced a character, the replacement was an improvement over the original. RIP.

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. The Lonely Man

The Lonely Man Commander Red Shirt

I actually watched Half a life a few days ago.
    Still a very powerful episode with a central theme that is as powerful today as it was then.

RIP Sir.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  11. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

RIP.

I'll always think of MASH first when I hear his name, but I do also remember him from other stuff like TNG and Atlantis:(

12. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I also remember him from those MASH, TNG, and SGA roles, as well as from THE DEAD ZONE.

RIP, sir.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Charles from M*A*S*H was certainly his career-making role, but in a way I prefer his later roles where he got to use his normal voice, which was so much more euphonious than the nasal Boston accent he used for Charles.

14. ihno

ihno Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved how he pushed his fingers into people's heads in Stargate Atlantis.

And he was a great actor in everything else he did as well.

15. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

I certainly don't agree in every case but this isn't the thread to have that debate.

I do think it was smart of the MASH producers to cast replacement actors that were completely different than the originals and Stiers was great as Winchester.

Mojochi likes this.
  16. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Great actor. He'll be missed.

Half A Life was a great episode. He, Majel and Michelle Forbes put in strong performances.

Random_Spock likes this.
  17. Triskelion

Triskelion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

RIP to Mister Stiers, a man who chose his roles wisely and imbued them all with depth and humanity. He is unforgettable.

Random_Spock and Gary7 like this.
  18. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Excellent point about Majel's performance. It was an excellent script that showed Lwaxana as something other than an oversexed floozy. The two of them made an excellent couple and her ability to show Lwaxana's love and compassion was a breakthrough for the character. By then it was obvious that Mr. Stier's was a fine actor, but I think there was a chemistry between the two actors that helped elevate her performance and made the episode one of the best of the series for me.

19. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very sad news. Bladder cancer is one of the lesser known ones. I have had a tumour removed from my bladder twice. I hate reading about it killing people.

If you ever pee blood get it checked. Early diagnosis is very important.

Random_Spock, Gary7 and Nakita Akita like this.
  20. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

Cancer sucks!

Pindar and Random_Spock like this.