David Cronenberg's Crimes of The Future Looks Very Cronenberg

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, May 7, 2022.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The master of body horror is at it again with his next movie, Crimes of the Future, which takes place in a future where people are changing their bodies and organs.
    Cast:
    Vigo Mortensen as Saul Tenser
    Lea Seydoux as Caprice
    Kristen Steward as Timlin
    Scott Speedman as Lang Daughtery

Synopsis:
    As the human species adapts to a synthetic environment, the body undergoes new transformations and mutations. With his partner Caprice (Léa Seydoux), Saul Tenser (Viggo Mortensen), celebrity performance artist, publicly showcases the metamorphosis of his organs in avant-garde performances. Timlin (Kristen Stewart), an investigator from the National Organ Registry, obsessively tracks their movements, which is when a mysterious group is revealed… Their mission – to use Saul’s notoriety to shed light on the next phase of human evolution.

Teaser:

Red Band Trailer:

I was doing OK with the trailer, until Lea Seydoux unzipped Vigo Mortensen's stomach and stuck her tongue in it. That just.... ewww, but it wouldn't be body horror if there wasn't at least one shudder inducing moment.
    Other than that it looks very intriguing. Definitely want to see it, but not sure if it'll be a theater or streaming movie for me.

shapeshifter likes this.
  2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I've not always been the biggest Cronenberg/body horror fan (I skew more Lynch/psychological if I'm honest) but I can't deny being intrigued by this. That I'm currently a little obsessed with Seydoux doesn't hurt either!

shapeshifter likes this.
  3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It's interesting to see him returning to a "classic" horror style. For twenty years he has being making much different films--so I am expecting this to be something that combines his more recent work with the style of his younger years. A Videodrome mixed with Cosmopolis maybe?

4. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really loved his work on "A History of Violence", "Eastern Promises", " A Dangerous Method", "Maps To The Stars", and "Cosmopolis" because I thought Cronenberg branch off from doing those horror weirdo movies.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It looks to me like humans have found a way to not feel pain in the future.

Now people take pleasure in pain

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ew.

Just....EW. :barf:

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    shapeshifter likes this.
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Starkers likes this.
  9. Mr. Laser Beam

"I don't want my pain taken away! I NEED my pain!"

shapeshifter and Starkers like this.
  10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

11. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

That happens in all of his movies. They’re not my type of movies. Seems excessive

Starkers likes this.
  12. Mr. Laser Beam

^ To put it mildly. :lol:

Saying a Cronenberg film "seems excessive" is like saying the Pacific Ocean is "damp".

I'm definitely not into his stuff at all. Only thing he's ever done that I liked is his acting (as Kovich on ST: Discovery).

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    fireproof78 likes this.
  13. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tend to have very thick skin for body horror. I can't wait to see if these new generation gags can make me walk out. I doubt it, because I know it isn't real, but we'll see...

publiusr likes this.
  14. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Farscape One likes this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm just hoping there's not to much eye stuff. I've got a pretty strong stomach, my late father was a veterinarian who owned his own practice when I was a kid, and we'd watch him do surgeries all the time.
    But the one thing that bothers me is eyes. Even though I've watched it a ton of times, every time the needle goes into Picard's eye in the opening of First Contact it makes me cringe, and I almost have to look away. I don't know what it is, but that just gets to me.

publiusr likes this.
  16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

This sounds like it is true to form DC horror. As a fan of his work since Scanners, I can't wait--but I will probably see it on streaming (not by choice).