Dave Filoni Named Chief Creative Officer at Lucasfilm

EnderAKH

Commodore
Premium Member
Dave Filoni Is Now in Charge of Star Wars at Lucasfilm (variety.com)

He will Be ‘Planning the Future’ of ‘Star Wars’ Films and Shows. Thoughts?
Filoni announced his chief creative officer title in an interview with Vanity Fair on Tuesday. He was already an executive producer of all live-action “Star Wars” shows on Disney+ and had been tapped to direct a film weaving together all of the TV storylines, but he will now take a more involved role with the future of “Star Wars.”

“In the past, in a lot of projects I would be brought into it, I would see it after it had already developed a good ways,” he said. “In this new role, it’s opened up to basically everything that’s going on. When we’re planning the future of what we’re doing now, I’m involved at the inception phase.”

Where does Kathleen Kennedy fall in this new chain of command?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's in the article.

(The internet 'hater' crowd is going to go wild with this- it'll be entertaining all on its own!)

I'm a little torn on this after Ahsoka, I must admit. Before Ahsoka I'd have been doing the happy dance over this news.

Reactions: Lex
Based on what he said in the interview, his role here is still basically an advisory role, he can't order people to do things story wise, he can nudge them places, guide them.

I feel like this was already kind of a thing, though unacknowledged. The Mandoverse is the closest thing to a direction the SW universe has had lately.

As with all things, "we shall see". In general I have enjoyed most of his projects. Resistance seems to be to odd one out, and I think that could have been partly due to the needs of the Rise of Skywalker throwing the story into disarray. A relook into this era might mitigate things, like The Clone Wars did for the prequels.

I'm kind of shocked it took this long.
I've liked pretty much everything he's done, so I'm happy with the news.

Oh great, so now every show will be a poorly written spotlight on characters from cartoons the vast majority of the general audience didn't watch. I'm assuming we'll be getting a Star Wars Resistance focus next, just to make sure that the least amount of people possible care about it. :brickwall:

Seriously, while I still really like Mandalorian, Ahsoka was dreadful. Poorly written with bad characters, including Ahsoka herself who I recently realized was being written in her own show like how Lucas wrote prequel era Jedi, she was just as boring and bland as, say, Mace Windu. Its like she underwent Kolinahr between Rebels and her own show, and it was not an improvement (I guess she was also like this in Mando, but it was less noticable when she wasn't the main focus). I don't want more Star Wars in this style, and I think Filoni is barely capable of anything else at this point.

I would be mildly curious to see what would happen if he was forced to make something completely unrelated to his other shows and the Prequel era in general, but I feel like he's just going to double down on trying to act like TCW/Rebels/etc matter to the general SW audience, to the detriment of future projects.

Originally, I don't think Ahsoka was supposed to survive the Clone Wars. Given that they only last three years in canon (I think ten years would have been more realistic, given everything that happened), that's not remotely enough time to properly train a padawan anyway. One of the 'rules' of storytelling is to not be afraid to kill your own characters. Somewhere along the way, Filoni got too attached to his own creation, and here we are now.

Same thing with Ezra Bridger. It would have better satisfied continuity if he'd perished in his defeat of Thrawn. That way when Yoda tells look that 'when gone am I, the last of the Jedi you will be', he actually knows what he's talking about.

Same thing with Ezra Bridger. It would have better satisfied continuity if he'd perished in his defeat of Thrawn. That way when Yoda tells look that 'when gone am I, the last of the Jedi you will be', he actually knows what he's talking about.
He did...from a certain point of view.

Poorly written with bad characters, including Ahsoka herself who I recently realized was being written in her own show like how Lucas wrote prequel era Jedi, she was just as boring and bland as, say, Mace Windu.
She's exactly like this in Mando. She proves the point the Jedi needed a serious adjustment because she refuses to train Grogu on the basis of attachment and fear.

She could have looked at Grogu and said "I sense much fear in you, " and it elukd have been just as on point as Yoda saying it in the Phantom Menace.

People praise Filoni for learning about Star Wars under Lucas. So, that is what you will get is a variation on that style.

Last edited:
Originally, I don't think Ahsoka was supposed to survive the Clone Wars.
No, it was always the plan.
The beginning of the Ahsoka novel is based off the original version of Siege of Mandalore that would have been made if Clone Wars hadn't been cancelled.

Oh great, so now every show will be a poorly written spotlight on characters from cartoons the vast majority of the general audience didn't watch
Did you even read the freaking interview? He's not going to be shaping everything going forward.

Not surprised to hear this as who else would they pick to fill this kind of role? Though I think people are missing the real interesting part of the story, which is Carrie Beck's promotion; if anyone is being groomed to take Kennedy's place when she retires it's Beck. As head of development, she's going to be the one really deciding what pitches do and donnot get made.

Filloni is best kept in a primarily creative role as that's where both his talent and passion lies, and both he and the franchise will be all the better for it.
Originally, I don't think Ahsoka was supposed to survive the Clone Wars.
Depends on who's intention you're talking about. Lucas was generally inclined to have her die before or during Order 66, while Filloni wanted her to survive and continue on. Filloni got what he wanted obviously, and that's for the best. Whether that would have been the case had George not sold the company when he did is unclear. It's possible Dave talked George around since they were in the process of breaking down and plotting out the final season when the hammer came down, but it's academic either way.

Last edited:
Back