Dan Slott Wanted to Write a Spider-Man Crossover

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, May 17, 2015.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Dan Slott, the Marvel Comics writer (Spider-Man, Spider-Verse, Silver Surfer), is a huge Doctor Who fan.

He developed a Spider-Man/Doctor Who crossover.

And it went nowhere.

He talked about it last weekend at Wizard World Philly, and the interview is here.

For what it's worth, Slott's current Silver Surfer series has a definite Who-flavor to it.

And now I don't feel so weird for wanting to write a Doctor Who/Uncle Scrooge story. :)

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, that doesn't sound weird to me at all. They're both adventurers who tend to have tetchy and bossy personalities, they both tend to end up with much younger traveling companions, and they both have intense personal attachments to upright box-shaped structures that contain impossibly huge quantities of stuff and are nigh-indestructible. And they both at least occasionally have Scottish accents.

3. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

A lot of comics have incorporated Doctor Who references, going back to the 80's at least.Popular comics writers such as Grant Morrison and Alan Moore have worked on Doctor Who comics, for instance; and of course Paul Cornell and Neil Gaimen have wrote for the series (and some of the spinoffs). Non-superhero comics were also cited by Andrew Cartmel as part of the inspiration for the Sylvestor McCoy era.

I also recall from a while back that there was a Superman comic which had a David Tennant-esque character who worked for Lex Luthor, or something like that.

4. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Though as Alan Moore is pretty vocally not a Who fan (with that quote about everyone after Hartnell looking like a child molester) whose work on the Weekly was basically just for the money, any references that can be detected in his more recent work are likely coincidental.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd say that the cameos by the first and eleventh Doctors, as well as Captain Jack, in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen III: Century were entirely deliberate. :)

Malcolm Tucker appears, too.

Link.

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes we know. He is well known for hypocritically downloading and pirating the show while demanding everyone take down links and torrents to his She-Hulk comic book.

7. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Andrew Garfield, the Amazing Spider-Man actor, also was in the season 3 Dalek 2-parter.

...and we've had two Doctors in the MCU (Disney/Marvel studios continuity), Eccleston as Makelith in Thor 2 and Tennant as Purple Man in the upcoming Jessica Jones series. Spider-man of course is going to be in the MCU as well, although played by a different actor (Who at this point might be Asa Butterfield).

I'd even believe Tennant around the same time he did Doctor Who as the adult Peter Parker (at least as drawn by some). They have the same basic look if you think about it. But could he do an American accent? I know he was going to do that lawyer show, but that didn't get picked up.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I've only seen a few minutes of Gracepoint, the U.S. remake of Broadchurch, in which Tennant did an American accent (playing the equivalent of his BC character). But I found his American accent entirely unconvincing - something about it just didn't work at all for me.

9. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Wait, Alan Moore said something angry & crazy? I'm shocked! SHOCKED!