Spoilers Dahj's "mother" might be someone we know from TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Unimatrix Q, Jan 24, 2020.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shit. Tempus Fugit...

2. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

Who would have guessed that Bruce Maddox apparently has to play a role in the show. Why should it be different with Lal? Especially if Dahj looks so much like her...

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

We don’t know if we’re going to see Maddox, or if we do, he’d be played by the same actor. And Dahj doesn’t look like Lal. It was stated in the episode that:

Maddox created both Dahj and Soji’s likenesses from the painting of the girl Data made during the sixth season of TNG. Lal had nothing to do with it.

4. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

But that's exactly why i talked about her having a "new or changed" body. Remember at the beginning of "The Offspring" Data let her choose her appearance. If she was reactivated, she may have made a new choice.

Or someone else chose it for her...

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Just don’t see it happening. YMMV.

6. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    Clearly she is Mirror Feral Molly

Turtletrekker likes this.
  7. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

I was thinking your post might have been about the audience, so, I'm part of the audience and I liked her. :)

Even if the actress is obviously older now than in the 90s she could still play the part. Lal is just going through ageing experiment or something like that. Or have the make up department find someone who looks like her and do their magic. I think it would be awesome to see Lal again, even in a different body if necessary, 'The Offspring' is such a powerful episode. Admiral Haftel might join the episode too and talk about how it would have been the right thing to go, to keep Data and Lal together, even without the malfunction.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I liked her too but have no interest in seeing a reconstituted version of her, or any version of her AFAIC.

9. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

As far as we know, Lal isn't going to appear and in a way it's better that way.
    Who knows how it might make us feel about Lal the next time watching 'The Offspring'.

indranee likes this.
  10. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picard explicitly concludes "Dahj is Data's daughter!", which isn't a line you throw out to an audience of rabid TNG fans for no reason. Unless it's a total red herring, Dahj has Data's (and by proxy Lal's) positronic engrams (or whatever) in her head.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  11. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Is Juliana Tanner still alive,canonically?

12. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

The actress is. The character hasn't been mentioned since her first appearance.

13. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Data and the Borg Queen did the dirty. I wonder if...

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  14. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I asked because she might be able to revive or make a new Lal. Perhaps the same for Data/B5??

15. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it was actually from Data's neurons in B4. I think the android in the drawer was actually Lore or some other faulty replica, and B4 has actually been moved covertly with Data's essence in tact.

I think it's possible that the mother is a construct, like others have said. Otherwise, it's just an unknown colleague of Bruce Maddox.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dahj is made from meat.

No metals, or plastic, just meat.

Data needed to have used someone's DNA, since any synthetic approximations of human flesh would make her inhuman and trackable.

If Dahj and the other one, aged normally... Then it's possible that Data "made" the two women, back when near the painting was painted.

What's the obsession with Maddox?

He was an untrustworthy dumbass.

If anything he'll be the ringer brought in to chase the girls.

17. WarpFactorZ

Because he was implicated by Dr. Jurati as a key player in the development of the Synths.

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  18. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And stated to have gone missing after the synth ban.

19. WarpFactorZ

Right. Sounds like a set-up for a plot element, hence why everyone is obsessed with Maddox.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

How was he an untrustworthy dumbass? He abided the Starfleet ruling on Data as property. Data said he was intrigued by what Maddox proposed, just that he wasn't ready yet, then went on the correspond with him for at least two years.

Spot261 and Paul Weaver like this.
  21. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's the one who wanted to take Data's soul out of Data's body and put it somewhere else. When Data said "No" Maddox replies "Screw you, you're property."

So you're saying he changed his mind by the end of the episode? But it was his complete wrongness, and certainty about his rightness, while being wrong, that created the entire situation, where data had to legally justify his existence.

Being able to accept that you were wrong, is smart, but come on, after what happened, screw that. Data didn't have the emotions to feel rage or hold a grudge, so it's understandable that his relationship with Maddox didn't change after Measure of a Man.

PS

Data had already been moved to a box and back, in The Schizoid Man by his Grampa, so Data knew that there was not a problem with Maddox's experiment, and also knew that it didn't have to be repeated.

indranee likes this.
  22. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

:wtf:
    A lot can happen in .68 s

Saul likes this.