Cyfa's art challenges and other bits & bobs

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Cyfa, Feb 26, 2017.

1. pl1ngpl0ng

pl1ngpl0ng Captain Captain

There is a nice sense of movement in both characters, really like that!=)

Cyfa likes this.
  2. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

- Thanks, @pl1ngpl0ng . I think it's a bit of a fluke though, as normally my characters are pretty stiff and awkward, so I googled (well, Bing-ed, actually) male & female running poses but got so sick-to-death of only finding coupley or sexualised figures that I gave up and free-handed it.

Anyway, here's what will almost certainly be my final entry:

[​IMG]

This is Autobot Kizzy tearing up the dancefloor to the stimthump hit "Socks Match My Hat". Her 'brother', Jenks, is rushing on to save her from embarrassing herself (but mostly him).* He may also - inadvertently - prevent her from smushing-to-smithereens the Decepticon spy, Feinberg.

* "Kizzy", "Jenks", and "Socks Match My Hat" are from a wonderful book I've just read (for the third time) - anyone recognise it?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Scribble, B.J. and pl1ngpl0ng like this.
  3. pl1ngpl0ng

It's not a fluke when you studying movement and then free hand it! :beer:
    Also great little bug-bot:-) I'm not familiar with the characters you are referring to tho... my first thought was that autobotKizzy was a play on Gene Simmons lol:)

Scribble and Cyfa like this.
  4. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

I know you said Gene, @pl1ngpl0ng , but all I could think of was Richard - and this:

Here's the finished item:

[​IMG]

Scribble and pl1ngpl0ng like this.
  5. pl1ngpl0ng

The real DISCO!:-D

Cyfa likes this.
  6. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

As I somehow managed to get my entry for this month's art challenge completed a few days before the deadline, I've had time to continue messing around with alternate uniform designs.
    The sketches below are just some ideas for colour and style:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starfleet Supernatural Operations doesn't exist, of course. Starfleet Occult Operations, on the other hand...

7. Michael

Michael In alignment with canon Moderator

I love this, @Cyfa! Especially the cute professionally-looking Narwhal officer. One can always count on something out of the ordinary with your work. Cool!

Cyfa likes this.
  8. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

Thanks, @Michael! I'm not quite sure why a narwhal officer would need a uniform (other than for ease of recognition), or how he'd put it on, but it was a fun little sketch.

Scribble likes this.
  9. Michael

Easy, he doesn't need a uniform, he just has a sense of style, that's why. :cool:

Scribble likes this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

The Romulan redesign is really neat and brings to my mind an idea of trying to craft a mash up of Elvish and Starfleet.

Just musings, it's still cool.

Also, uniforms on non-humanoids has always been a part of Starfleet, since TNG suggested dolphins ;)

[​IMG]

11. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

After a little time away, yesterday I eased my way back into the world of creativity by combining my extremely amateur photography, the North Norfolk coast, and Star Trek:

[​IMG]
    This is just black, gold and silver cardboard cut out to look like the 2390s Starfleet insignia. The sparkly silver background is from a wedding invitation, and the gold is more cardboard!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the selection above, the bars display various sea, sky and beach images from photos I've taken near my home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And these are a kind of "making of" showing the insignia laid over my photos displayed on my old PC monitor.

One of my blog friends suggested that "the bars are little display screens! Sort of 24th century mood rings!" which I think is a brilliant idea! What do you think? Would Starfleet go for such a thing?

Scribble and Michael like this.
  12. BorgMan

BorgMan Captain Captain

I don't think it would have any real benefit though. As an official organization, frivolous things such as moodinsignia would probably be considered "inefficient". It might, however, be something for on the Orville :techman:

Cyfa likes this.
  13. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

I think you might be right, @BorgMan. However, maybe the bars could be simple light emitters for use as locator beacons for when the wearer becomes trapped in a papier mache cave or something? ;)

BorgMan and Scribble like this.
  14. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

Something else I've been working on: Star Trek Star Maps
    Since discovering the "Starry Sky" setting on my camera at the beginning of the year, I've been nipping out on clear nights since January (not many of those, and when they are clear they're bloody cold!) and taking some photos (aided by my tripod). I've been messing around with labelling the constellations and individual stars in some of the photos, but when I started recognising some of the star names from Star Trek, I decided to have a go at labelling just the Star Trek featured stars.
    However, finding a photo with enough Star Trek-featured stars to make the map look anything more than sparse, is quite time consuming. The one below of the (partial) constellations of Leo, Canis Minor, and Gemini has quite a nice selection.
    Anti-clockwise from bottom left are: Wolf 359 (in Leo), Procyon (in Canis Minor), Pollux & Propus (in Gemini), and Regulus (back to Leo).
    [​IMG]

Then to the labelling: For the star's Latinised Bayer designation, e.g. Alpha Lyrae, I chose 16 pt in a medium-light grey. For its traditional name (approved by the International Astronomical Union), e.g. Vega, I increased the font size to 20 pt and the brightness of the grey. And for the citation (i.e. which Star Trek episode or film it appeared in, or was mentioned in), I went with a darker grey in 12 pt.
    To add something a little different, I circled the star with a red 26 pt "O" in Century Gothic - one of the few fonts in my limited selection with a perfectly circular O - and used it to denote the star, planet or moon that featured in the show (examples below).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This photo features Orion the Hunter in centre stage surrounded by Canis Major, Eridanus, Taurus, Gemini, and Canis Minor.
    [​IMG]

Orion plays host to quite a few Star Trek locations, but in this map I only really had room for Coridan, Orion, and Mintaka III. The planet Vulcan, which orbits 40 Eridani A, otherwise known as Omicron┬▓ Eridani (I forgot the ┬▓ on the map!) or Keid, can be found in the constellation of Eridanus; Aldebaran III in Taurus; Iota Geminorum IV, aka the Tribble homeworld, in Gemini; Andor in Canis Minor; and Sirius in Canis Major.
    [​IMG]

Much research was conducted using Memory Alpha, Wikipedia, and my trusty Universe book, although I may have taken one or two liberties here and there (Andor being located at Procyon, for one - the location came from the Star Trek Star Charts book by Geoffrey Mandel).
    I intend to do some more, so when they're done, I'll post them here. Let me know if you have any suggestions :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Michael, Scribble and tax1234 like this.
  15. BorgMan

BorgMan Captain Captain

Hmmm... It could feature a small replicator? An away uniform could be lined with replicator material, not only giving insualtion to the wearer but also stuff for the replicator to convert. Combining a badge with built-in lights with a Tricored and / or a PADD could exponantially increase one's survival in a hostile situation...

Cyfa likes this.
  16. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

Ooh, that's a good idea, @BorgMan. I'm sure late-24th century technology could easily squeeze a replicator into one of those bars, and the comm array (and holographic sensor/projector into the other.

And now for something completely different: Making Money

[​IMG]

For this month's Art Challenge, "Isik for your thoughts", I was finding it difficult to think of something to do until I remembered Spock saying "What does it mean - Exact change?" when booted off the bus in The Voyage Home. So, I've started to design a few coins/credit chips to become a handful of 23rd century change. Here are a couple of the designs I've come up with so far:

[​IMG]

They're a bit basic at the mo, but I'm going to try a few embellishments, and fill the gaps in the gold 'coins' with some sort of translucent material.
    I don't think Spock and Kirk could get very far on these, though...

Michael and Scribble like this.
  17. Michael

You're off to a good start, because these look great!

Cyfa likes this.
  18. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

Unless I have an unexpected spurt of creativity in the next few hours (very unlikely), one of the following images will be my half-hearted entry for this month's Art Challenge:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scribble likes this.
  19. Cyfa

Cyfa Captain Captain

After some dithering, I've made a decision:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

I like it but I'm wondering why there is Vulcan script on one of them?