Crossfire

toughlittleship

Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
I watched this recently on Virgin 1. Its been a while since I saw and remembered not liking it, but this time I found it to be quite good. I was pleased to read on Memory Alpha that director Allan Kroeker considers it to be one of his favorites.

As a side note, just how good was the scene with the falling turbolift? Was it a model or done in a computer?

I feel the same way. I remembered this episode as boring, but when I bought the DVDs a few years back I started watching all the episodes in order and when I reached this episode I was surprised by how good it is. I'd go so far as to say that it is the best episode dealing with love in Star Trek, and it was nice that the sub-plot about the terrorists was only a minor concern to the story and not the focus of it.

I also think that the scene where Quark is complaining to Odo in his quarters is the best Odo/Quark scene in the show, and that is saying a lot! Quark is genuinely trying to help Odo, but it is completely in character because he can't bring himself to admit that he cares about Odo. I'd say this is an underrated gem.

To me Crossfire was a filler episode, it was put between Paradise Lost which was the second of a two parter, and Return to Grace, both of which were much better episodes

Crossfire is not filler and not boring.

It's a brilliant episode. An outstanding character study of Odo and his inner torment caused by loving Kira.

A riveting performance by RA, as always. Crossfire is one of DS9's best (which is one of a very high number, as DS9 has a great many amazing episodes). It's very much like "The Wire", only focussed on Odo instead of Garak.

Crossfire is probably the only 'love interest of the week' story in Trek that actually works and gets it right, because it builds upon the Odo/Kira unrequited love dynamic that has been in development for years. Something none of the other Trek 'love interest of the week' stories do - they introduce a character for a first time 5 minutes in, the character 'in love' with a main character by 20 minutes in, and 'dead or gone away' by 42 minutes in :rolleyes:, which is why they are always hokey and unbelievable. Even DS9 has crap episodes like that, which are filler garbage (ie: Meridian, Chrysalis). Crossire does not compare, it's in a whole 'nother stratosphere.

Great episode, because Odo's situation was entirely relatable.

I'm sure many men have been in a situation where the woman they want is with some other dude, but they can't tell her out of fear of rejection or ruining a friendship.

Plus, they added a complexity to it by Shakaar a decent guy.

One thing I noticed early on in the episode that as Odo and Kira are reviewing the police reports, there is a report of man being phyisically abused by his spouce, to which Kira acts with real concern over the man's well-being. "She hit him again. Why does he stay with her?' Her voice shows real concern.

It's an interesting nod that the writers had taken to show that it can happen to either gender

Crossfire was a good episode but it seemed to drag. I think they could have told the story in 20 minutes instead of 45.

Last edited:
Crossfire was a good episode but it seemed to drag. I think they could have told the story in 20 minutes instead of 45.

When you are in the situation Odo is in, 20 minutes really does feel like an hour.

I don't think the episode was too long, I think it was about perfect when it came to pacing. His pain slowly built up until he couldn't take it anymore and he trashed his quarters. If it had happened any faster then it would have felt contrived.

It's a brilliant episode. An outstanding character study of Odo and his inner torment caused by loving Kira.

A riveting performance by RA, as always. Crossfire is one of DS9's best (which is one of a very high number, as DS9 has a great many amazing episodes). It's very much like "The Wire", only focussed on Odo instead of Garak.

Crossfire is probably the only 'love interest of the week' story in Trek that actually works and gets it right, because it builds upon the Odo/Kira unrequited love dynamic that has been in development for years. Something none of the other Trek 'love interest of the week' stories do - they introduce a character for a first time 5 minutes in, the character 'in love' with a main character by 20 minutes in, and 'dead or gone away' by 42 minutes in :rolleyes:, which is why they are always hokey and unbelievable. Even DS9 has crap episodes like that, which are filler garbage (ie: Meridian, Chrysalis). Crossire does not compare, it's in a whole 'nother stratosphere.

I respect your views on Crossfire, it just did'nt work for me. I did not hate it, I just don't think it I would watch more than once, I found the episodes with Vic teaching Odo how to deal with his feelings for Kira, much more entertaning...

Sincerely,

I completely agree. Though I liked Chrysalis. It was easy and believeable for Julian to fall in love with Serena so fast because she was the kind of girl he had always wanted - someone like him.

Back