Cringe Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by F. King Daniel, Apr 24, 2019.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

What were the moments in all of Trek that made you cringe the hardest?

For me it's Data and Joe Piscopo in the holodeck, followed by the Space Hippie Jam Session, followed by Spock's "Khaaaaaaaan!"

2. Markonian

Markonian Commodore Commodore

Discussions of the Betazoid wedding in Nemesis.
    Worf is uncomfortable with it but his sense of privacy is mocked, and it’s played for laughs. Cringe!

Qapla!, Zod and F. King Daniel like this.
  3. Zod

Zod Captain Captain

When sisko and crew were in that game hopalong or something. When they were jumping up and down

4. Eris Morn

Eris Morn Badass Admiral

great thread

every time a Star Trek writer attempts anything they consider "humorous" or "sexy"

5. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Premium Member

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Insurrection is a treasure trove of cringe, people. Klingon pimples...oh, and that talk about breasts getting firmer on the Space Elves planet. No more questions? Yes, questions! Lock and load, and why not give an idiotic speech that makes me root for the supposed bad guys? Strawmen had a bit of a point there, guys.

Man, do I hate that dumbass movie. :lol:

There. Finally, some ST that I actively despise.

6. Boo-rennyren

Boo-rennyren Commodore Commodore

TNG's "Code of Honor" pretty much from beginning to end. The only all-dark-skinned race we've seen to this point are costumed as if they're in a 40s movie set in "darkest Africa"? Cringe! Lutan wants blonde, blue-eyed Yar to replace his dark-skinned wife? Cringe! 24th-century from-a-planet-of-rape-gangs woman Yar finds her sleazy kidnapper appealing? Cringe!

7. Verteron

Verteron Lux in tenebris lucet Rear Admiral

From Spock's Brain, TOS S03E01

Honourable mention:

8. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

9. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

"Don't be so binary. In my universe, he was pansexual, and we had DEFCON-level fun together. And you, too, Papi."

David cgc, Qapla!, Unicorn and 2 others like this.
  10. Vger23

Vger23 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picard sermonizing about how evolved humanity has become beyond the foolishness of 400 years ago.

Spock's "Khaaaaaaaan" yell

Uhura's fan dance

Nona gyrating over Kirk for 7 minutes while she heals him from the Mugatu bite

Almost all of Turnabout Intruder

Almost all of Plato's Stepchildren

Almost all of Move Along Home

Anything featuring a kid on the Enterprise-D (Imaginary Friend, Hero Worship, etc)

All of Star Trek: Insurrection (Soooo many. I'm sorry)

Transwarp beaming

Qapla!, PiotrB, NovaStar and 5 others like this.
  11. Verteron

Verteron Lux in tenebris lucet Rear Admiral

This should have been released as a single.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Admiral Admiral

Kirk's swollen hands and tongue or whatever was going on in that scene Trek XI.

13. Damian

Damian Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that's got to be at the top of my list. There are some Star Trek eye rolling moments, but that was the one that made me cringe the most. My brain was saying "They really didn't just do that, right" and my ears were saying "Yes, they did" :rolleyes:

Yeah, not sure who's brain child idea that entire episode was. It makes "Threshold" look respectable :lol:. Because I'm a completest when watching the shows I'll watch it. Each time I try to find some sliver of redemption for it, something to gain from it but I can't. Even Yar's admission that being found attractive is flattering is cringe inducing. The only bright spot I sort of take is I did like the 'queen'. She was a tough, no nonsense kind of person and I did take some delight when she told Lutan he can be her second now since Yar isn't interested. That's almost worse than losing. Instead of just being able to fade away and hope people forget you, now you have to tag along with the group every time they go somewhere and everyone will always remember what you did an how you lost. "Hey, isn't that Lutan?" Snicker "What a loser"---every day for the rest of your life

Allamaraine you mean? My daughter loves that game, except she calls it hopscotch.

Zod likes this.
  14. Satan Ibrahimovic

Satan Ibrahimovic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For Worf certainly the mud(d) bath with Lwaxana!

Lwaxana snooping around in Picard's head.

Reg Barclay's holodeck program with Deanna as goddess.

15. Mirror Sakonna

Mirror Sakonna Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ezri solving the murder in "Field Of Fire."

"He's laughing!"
    SWIPE CUT
    "And she's laughing!"
    SWIPE CUT
    "That's what the victims have in common -- pictures of laughing faces!"

16. matthunter

matthunter Vice Admiral Admiral

TBF the idea of a Klingon having nudity taboos when they probably take recreational naked walks in their equivalent of the Arctic just to prove their hardiness IS a bit daft.

17. Mirror Sakonna

Mirror Sakonna Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This might be the cringiest Trek moment to date. Like with so many problematic Discovery moments, the problem was an inability to edit. The response should have been: "Don't be so binary." That's it! Done! Stop burying these great actors in so many idiotic words!

Just another way Worf was fucked up by being raised by humans. :klingon: :hugegrin:

18. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

That, and as a homo myself, the idea that they would still use labels such as "straight" and "gay" in the 23rd century made me want to crawl in a hole. Blegh. That's definitely up there with "Have you noticed your boobs firming up?".

Qonundrum likes this.
  19. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Well this certainly comes to mind...

And this...

Qonundrum likes this.
  20. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Premium Member

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Agreed. It's even worse than Planet of the Aryan Nation, also a first season TNG episode with loads of cringe in it.

KimMH and Agents of HYDRA like this.