Covid forces cuts at Boise State

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by MikeH92467, Jul 3, 2020.

1. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Covid has claimed more victims at Boise State University. The school has terminated its baseball program (which they had only revived this year after a multi-year absence) along with swimming and diving. The BSU program is hugely dependant on it's football team for funding. With all that's going on the athletic department projects a multimillion dollar shortfall. They're not the first university to swing the axe at their athletics program and I'm sure they won't be the last.

2. 1001001

1001001 I Like the Nightlife, Baby! Moderator

I've been wondering about the individual student athletes on scholarships.

If you're going to college on, let's say, a baseball scholarship. Or swimming. What's happening to you? Are you still getting a free education? If the school is not generating athletic income, do those scholarships get cut? Are kids going to have to drop out?

3. MikeH92467

BSU says it will honor all scholarships. I don’t know if that’s the case everywhere else.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  4. Aragorn

Aragorn Admiral Admiral

Stanford just cut 11 of their 36 programs -- men's and women's fencing, field hockey, lightweight rowing, men's rowing, co-ed and women's sailing, squash, synchronized swimming, men's volleyball and wrestling.

5. MikeH92467

Gotta figure if a big bucks outfit like Stanford is feeling a squeeze, a lot of others are too. Florida State is eliminating 25 positions in it's athletic department, either through layoffs or not filling vacant positions.