Couldn't wheelchair Pike have had a Betazoid assistant

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Yistaan, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

How is that different from living with the Talosians?

Yistaan likes this.
  2. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Talosians seemed fine with all the dirty thoughts in people's heads, going by the Cage and If Memory Serves. It doesn't phase them.

Betazoid assistant: Captain Pike, can you please try and stop thinking of Orion women, Number One, and Vina? It's incredibly distracting.
    Pike: Beep beep. :angryrazz:

3. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Which is why Pike was beeping No, No all the time, he was waiting for his very attractive Betazoid assistant to show up or for his new bionic body. Or Betazoid were not members of the Federation, so the average person had very little contact with Starfleet personnel

4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

While Betazoid was part of the Federation then, they kept their abilities a secret which is why it was never a option.

5. Yistaan

Betazoid ambassador on Starbase 11 (telepathically): I and any member of my species could help you communicate Captain Pike. But... we won't! :lol:

Wheelchair Pike: :mad:

6. AndorianAle

AndorianAle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Commodore Mendez: "Good morning, Fleet Captain Pike. You'll be happy to know we've arranged for you a special personal assistant. Betazoid. She'll be able to communicate your thoughts for us telepathically. Do you approve?"
    Pike: "BEEEEP"
    Mendez: "Excellent. She's beeming up now."
    *JERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR*
    Mendez: "Welco-"
    Lwaxana Graxx: "I am Lwaxana Graxx, daughter of the Third House, Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Kalos, Heir to the Holy Scepter of Betazed. Who are you and what's wrong with his face? Hmm, not much of a conversationalist, is he? What's with all of those blinking lights? They're giving me a head ache. I grow tired. Please show me to my room. I assume he'll be carrying my bags? Well he's got wheels, hasn't he? Just tie a rope around him and he can drag my personal belongings. They're quite heavy. Please make sure not to scuff them up."
    Pike: "BEEEEP" "BEEEEP"
    Lwaxana Graxx: " 'Please kill me?' My word. I had no idea in accepting this assignment that my beauty would be too much for this poor man. He doesn't feel he could get any work done having such beauty so close and be unable to touch it. He would rather die.
    Pike: "BEEEEP" "BEEEEP"
    Lwaxana Graxx: "Such naughty thoughts, Captain. You're making me blush."
    Pike: "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP" "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP"

Masiral, Cyfa, Tim Thomason and 5 others like this.
  7. jfordny

jfordny Lieutenant Red Shirt

I agree with this. The Menagerie didn't hold up in the world of TOS. It's a clever way to use the original pilot, it's a great episode for Spock, but too much fanwanking is required for me to buy that the best that could be done for Pike is that chair. And Discovery just made the flaws more obvious, given the level of technology in the show. The Klingons not only transformed Voq into human, they implanted Tyler's consciousness into his brain, lol.

Then there are the Talosians, who have to be retconned into something far more benevolent than they are in the Cage. Or in If Memory Serves, where they require Burnhman to relive a painful memory and Vina makes the point that if they force payment it will not be pleasant.

Dumping Pike off there and portraying it as some sort of happy ending requires ignoring that the Talosians tortured him - by throwing him into an illusion that he was burning, ironically - when he didn't cooperate with them in the Cage.

I also wonder why he was kept alive if he needed a battery driven heart. I guess no one has medical directives in the 23rd century?

Nyotarules likes this.
  8. thribs

I’m pretty sure they say his brain was undamaged. It was the rest of his body that was beyond repair.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Picard's in the 24th was shown to be fairly primitive with a limited lifespan even with their era's tech.

10. Yistaan

They should have had something in the TOS bible that said that anything short of vaporization could be immediately cured with futuristic medical technology. Would have been an excellent cost cutting measure and forced writers to think of stories other than injuries that should be curable in the future.

11. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I honestly don't recall- was it ever established that the Federation had even encountered the Betazoids by the time of early TOS?

12. Yistaan

Yes, in Discovery. Harry Mudd robbed a bank on Betazed: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Bank

Vger23 likes this.
  13. thribs

No on screen canonical source but there was one in Starfleet in the second Discovery novel.

14. Yistaan

Harry Mudd knew as much to rob a bank there and boasted of it to Tyler, who showed no confusion about this planet.

15. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Maybe the Betazoids had contracts like the Deltans (Lt. Ilia) at that time, and couldn't or wouldn't be allowed to use their gifts around folks not so empowered?

(EDIT: sentence didn't make sense)
    :alienblush:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  16. thribs

I know but they never say they were part of the Federation there.

17. Yistaan

Even if they weren't I highly doubt knowledge of their abilities would have escaped Starfleet Intelligence or Section 31 (in whatever state they are in at that time). Although helping Pike may not be high on their list of priorities.

18. thribs

But by the time the accident happens, Section 31 would have thought to be destroyed.

Yistaan likes this.
  19. Succubint

Succubint Captain Captain

While that may be true for later TOS, the second pilot that aired, "Where No Man Has Gone Before" disputes that. There's quite a bit of discussion of ESP, how common or uncommon it is. In fact all ship personnel have an ESP quota, which they looked up on the ship's computer. They found both Mitchell and Dehner had a high score. So it's not seen as an alien thing, but a natural development in their citizens. Due to the freak incident crossing the galactic barrier, however, having telepathic/telekinetic powers or the high potential for them did indeed become threatening.

20. Yistaan

This is one of those early installment episodes that never quite fit with the rest of the show. You would think Spock's Vulcan telepathy would have been affected by the Galactic Barrier, but apparently not.

How did the Federation stop any Betazoid or other telepathic race from flying a ship to the Barrier for instant godhood?

Longinus likes this.