Could Kira have a half cardassian half sibling?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by marsh8472, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even the most beloved, most respected, bajoran "comfort women" were nothing more than pampered sex slaves. Fathering slave children is not seen as a scandal; rather it shows that the cardassian officer truly had the slaves under his thumb - the women were nothing more than objects for his desire. They didn't own their bodies - the cardassians did. They didn't "own" their children - the cardassians did.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Ziyal's death drove him to insanity, but it didn't drive him to sociopathy. In Waltz it was pretty clear that Dukat already believed all the conclusions he came to about the Bajorans, just he was deceiving himself into thinking otherwise.

He was just as evil before Ziyal's death as after, the only change was he no longer had complex justifications of his behavior that told the story of his greatness.

3. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Yes. Though I think the feelings Dukat for Kira were at least 90% thinking of her as a potential conquest, if he could win her over he'd truly be the biggest Don Juan of Cardassia. If Cardassia has Don Juans. I'm glad Visitor prevailed and kept them from having a romantic relationship or even a friendship.

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Conversely, they did a good job of making Visitor squirm by having Dukat make advances toward her. What happened in Time to Stand was a disturbing as it was funny in Civil Defense.

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt contraceptives would be required to prevent the emergence of offspring when two different species mate. Rather, I think the Bajoran women would be highly motivated to secretly take proceptives so that a surprise conception would result and solidify the otherwise extremely unstable relationship. They'd do it after learning enough about what made Dukat tick - after all, it did work, as at least two half-Bajoran children were born to the man without his intent or desire, and he failed to do to them what the Cardassian society absolutely required him to do.

Could Kira be Dukat's daughter? The timeline in "Wrongs Darker" is wonky to begin with, and within an Orb illusion Kira would be unlikely to have the soundness of mind to point out any contradictions. And the wonkiness goes several ways, allowing e.g. for Dukat to have hit on Meru long before the "events" so dubiously portrayed in the episode. But it would be an all-new story, not something naturally stemming from what we actually were shown and told in DS9.

Timo Saloniemi

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

For Dukat to be Kira's father she would have needed to be secretly genetically modified to a full Bajoran in a way that grows as she grows and has no impact on biological development or puberty.

Even if it is possible would Dukat ever really go to the trouble, then not go to the same trouble with Ziyal? This is a major stretch.

It is a lot more believable that Meru may have had a child with Dukat after. Though I would think that if it were the case, Dukat would have brought it up when he told her about her mother.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Like I said, Kira was born before her mother ever met Dukat (Kira was a toddler when her mom was taken from the refugee camp). So there is absolutely no possibility that Dukat could be Kira's father.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Jedman67 likes this.
  8. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to MA Kira's mum died in the same year Ziyal was born. If DS9 was a daytime soap something like this would pretty much guarantee that Kira and Ziyal were half-sisters.

Anna Yolei likes this.
  9. Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

And then Odo would cheat with Zyal and the two of them would have a cat fight on the Promenade over it.

Man, I miss the 1990s.

Jedman67 likes this.
  10. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Since Meru really liked Dukat... Nerys and Ziyal were basically stepsisters.

11. Bad Thoughts

Given that Dukat and Kira were never part of a family, no.

12. Peach Wookiee

Not on paper, but his relationship with her mother makes him almost her stepfather. Which makes his interest in her all the more creepy...

13. Bad Thoughts

You may think it is cute to make them part of a stepfamily here, but it would be unconscionable in the real world to require children to make such connections when there is an element of extreme duress in their parent's coupling. We would not, for instance, ask the childen of Darfur whose mothers were raped by Sudanese solders to see the rapists' families as "stepfamilies."

14. Peach Wookiee

It's that Meru apparently fell in love with Dukat that changes my definition. And I hardly think it cute, Bad Thoughts. I think it makes Dukat even more creepy than he already was! "I got a Bajoran woman to love me! And now I can have her daughter! All I have to do is seduce her!" He's a creepy sicko and being sent straight to Hell was a perfect penalty for all that he did, including that!

15. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, I disagree with this assessement. Family appears to be one of the (perhaps few) universal Cardassian values, and I can't imagine that having children outside the family structure would be seen as you're suggesting.

Though as to single Cardassian soldiers, well...

16. Jedman67

I don't quite see it the same way, but it's a fair point. Being able to rape someone at will is an example of supreme control over that other person. The slave falling in love with her rapist is nothing more than stockholm syndrome.

17. Jedman67

As a way to "solidify an unstable relationship" absolutely not. As a secret plot by the Resistance to - unbalance? discredit? Dukat, extreme but plausible.

18. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt women finding themselves in such a difficult situation would complicate it further by agreeing to anything the Resistance would ask of them. Even the most extreme threats or blackmail would appear benign compared to the downsides of saying yes.

Timo Saloniemi

19. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Wait so Visitor didn't like Alaimo in RL or felt that her character wouldn't ever get chummy with Dukat?

20. Bad Thoughts

Like I wrote, only when he was made up as Dukat. In real life, she found Alaimo quite charming.