Cosmos - With Neil deGrasse Tyson

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Greylock Crescent, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

They should put this text up on the screen at the beginning of each episode.

They just need to be sure they credit it to you properly.

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I believe that in last Sunday's show Tyson credited the Ionians with more or less first articulating the principles of scientific observation.

One episode starts off with the assumption that the majority of the viewers understand what a camera obscura is, how it works and why that matters. That's a mistake unless you're addressing an audience that you assume already knows a great deal about your subject to begin with - and if that's the case, maybe the point of the show is just for us science geeks to congratulate ourselves.

3. Serveaux

To the extent that this series is associated in the public mind with Carl Sagan, it's doing some coasting on his "brand."

4. gturner

gturner Admiral

It could've been interesting if the episode had burned a few minutes discussing the controversial Hockney-Falco thesis that Renaissance artists suddenly gained realistic perspectives and accurate depictions by using the camera obscura and convex lenses (polished metal) to project images, which the masters could then trace. They could even go with the phrase "What happens when a condensed matter physicist looks at Renaissance art looking for tell-tale patterns of optical distortion?"

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Between the two shows, I'd say Sagan's kept more to explaining science than Tyson's. The episode about Hook and Newton, I guess, wanted to show how science utilizes evidence and reasoned argument to establish matters of fact and truth rather than accepting assertions that resort to appeals to authority. It was dramatically interesting, but I'd have preferred more focus on Newton's discoveries and their implications. The focus on Halley was great, and I wish more time had been devoted to like material. The historical recreations too often slide to drama, Hook and Newton for instance, than the science being illustrated.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except it's not a symmetrical situation, because one twin has to slow down, reverse course, accelerate, then slow down again in order to get back to the starting point. So that twin is subjected to accelerations that the other twin is not subjected to. That's why the math is different for that twin and why that twin is younger than the other once they come back together.

The difference is that this show is a product of its time -- a time when there's a powerful anti-intellectual, anti-science faction trying to impose its values on America, a time when school boards are being pressured to teach creationism and the Science Committee of the House of Representatives consists overwhelmingly of creationists and religious nuts. Basically "the demon-haunted world" that Sagan warned about decades ago has gained a lot of ground in the past 34 years, and this new incarnation of Cosmos is a salvo against them and the ways of thinking (or rather, not thinking) that they're trying to spread.

Plus, it's on FOX rather than PBS, so there is a difference in the target audience. Before you can teach the facts of science, you need to teach what science is, how scientific thought works. I grant that the show could do better at that in some ways, but it seems to be more about presenting the basic idea that scientific thought has value, and that leaves less time to go into detail on the specifics of what science has revealed.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised nobody's posted this yet:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/fa1a1c8fb7/creationist-cosmos

7. gturner

gturner Admiral

Exactly. I bring that up because I almost always see the discussion of time-dilation and the brothers' differential aging referred to as "the twins paradox", but the fact that they age at different rates wasn't the paradox (it's just an odd effect). The paradox was that under pure special relativity, each brother should have the same expectation that his twin was the one that aged a lot, which is impossible - and a paradox.

You gave the solution to the problem, and we should really quit commonly calling that particular time-dilation thought experiment "the twins paradox" unless we're specifically referring to the earlier debate. One twin ages, flyboy brother doesn't - and it's not a paradox anymore.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

On an intellectual level, I know that Druyan and Soter were vitally important to the original Cosmos. I know that Sagan didn't make Cosmos on his own because television is a collaborative medium. I know that he didn't write the book on his own. Intellectually, I know all of these things.

Emotionally, for me, Cosmos is Sagan. It's Sagan in the Ship of the Imagination. It's Sagan walking on beaches. It's Sagan exploring the Library of Alexandria. It's Sagan at Rockefeller Square bemoaning astrology. Cosmos is Sagan. Full stop.

That's not to take away from Druyan and Soter because I know, intellectually, as I said, how important they were to the original series, especially Druyan. (Speaking of which, this article by Sasha Sagan, Sagan and Druyan's daughter, in New York about her father, Seth MacFarlane, and the Sagan library, is well worth reading.) But I think that goes to show that, even for people who know and understand the collaborativeness of television, the singular presence of someone like Sagan makes such an impression that he becomes seen as a singular creator. Especially when the original Cosmos is subtitled "A Personal Journey" -- whose "personal journey" is it, if not Sagan's?

9. Christopher

Allyn, I agree with you that it's not the same without Sagan. It's an attempt by his collaborators and protege to pay tribute to his creation and carry forward its legacy, but it's still at a remove.

But my point is that this isn't something that Seth MacFarlane and Brannon Braga dreamed up on their own. A lot of people are jumping to that conclusion just because those are the two people they've heard of before, and it's an erroneous belief. Those two were just brought in to execute a project that Druyan, Soter, and Tyson had already been working on for years beforehand.

10. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they're doing a terrific job, considering the environment, which Christopher highlighted earlier, in which they're making this effort.

11. Serveaux

Well, one can construct an apologia for the show around whatever one chooses. I'm just watching the television series as a television series, and it's lacking quite a bit.

12. gturner

gturner Admiral

Um, that's purely the demons in his imagination. Twice as many Republicans on the House Science and Technology committee have STEM degrees than the Democrats (Four), even counting Joe Kennedy and a BA in psychology for the Democrats.

One Republican with a handful of degrees (and a chest full of medals) even ran a planetarium (along with an aeronautics and space museum). Our member from Kentucky has multiple engineering degrees from MIT.

As for their religions, there is no statistical difference between the two parties on the committee regarding Methodists, Lutherans, or Catholics, and the percentage of the sum of Baptists and Episcopalians is also the same. One Democrat on the committee even attacked his primary opponent, an incumbent Democrat, for being an atheist who doesn't represent California values.

I think the gross misperception is part of the "science versus evil religion" thing that Cosmos stirred up.

13. Serveaux

Well, if the Creationists feel targeted by the show they're not just being paranoid; the creators clearly consider it their brief to push back against misrepresentations and misunderstanding of science being used to further political/social agendas. That said, there's not much in "A Spacetime Odyssey" that's likely to accomplish that - just many proud assertions of scientific integrity. That's the kind of thing to bring cheers from people who already agree with them rather than enlightenment to the uninformed, misguided or uncertain.

That's metaphor (just what exactly does being "the first person ever to see into the deeper waters..." etc mean? What did he do?) and bald assertion. There's nothing in that animation to acquaint a viewer with how Herschel learned this, why he was convinced of it, or why the viewer should accept it as our most reliable understanding of reality right now...as distinct from, say, some Bronze Age religious writings.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  14. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

The person who put the new series together is exactly the same person who put the old series together.

15. Serveaux

Then the answer is that she's not doing as good a job as she did last time.

16. Amaris

There's no need for apologies. The show is good, the concepts are good, the execution is good. You don't like it, and that's fine, it's not going to appeal to everyone. I like it, I'm learning from it and, more importantly, my family is learning from it.

17. Christopher

"Apologia" doesn't mean apology so much as an explanation or a defense (it literally means "speaking in defense"). Which is really kind of the opposite of what "apology" has come to mean, since it means arguing that you were justified rather than admitting you were wrong. Words evolve in complicated ways.

18. Amaris

I know. I liken it to Apologetics. All I'm saying is that there is no need for any of it, at least from my point of view.

19. Serveaux

Yes, Christopher, and I used it in exactly the correct way - go head, insert "defense" or "explanation" for the word in my sentence.

If you inferred something else, the mistake is entirely yours.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  20. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

He was correcting J. Allen, I'm pretty sure.