Converting .MTS to .MOV?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by T'Baio, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Anyone know a good program that can convert .MTS files from camcorders (AVCHD) into .MOV Quicktime files? MPEG Streamclip claims it does, but even with the Apple MPEG2 codec downloaded, it still doesn't recognize the clips for some reason.

I'd like to be able to just convert the clips independently of Final Cut. Log and Transfer in Final Cut works, but then there's a lot of file shuffling I need to do.

Does anyone know anything about this "Voltaic" program? I see it's name come up a lot.

Thanks! :)

2. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Mac or Windows?

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Which version of Final Cut are you using? You'll need FCP 6 or above to work with the format. Anyway, the MPEG-2 codec isn't working for you because MTS is a wrapper for MPEG-4.

The IskySoft converter is the one that former co-workers at my old office use. Otherwise, oddly enough, I'm pretty sure iMovie plays nice with .MTS without any questions. (Actually, I'm positive -- I was able to capture .MTS video from a Canon Vixia HF100 into iMovie without any hiccups.)

4. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

I'm on a Mac.

Currently I'm only on Final Cut Express. It can work with .MTS too, it "Logs and Captures" it fine. But then those files are in a scratch folder on the scratch disc and they gotta be moved around. I'm picky with my workflows and such, and I'd love a program that just converts them to .MOV without having to go through Final Cut.

I'll try that IskySoft when I get a chance. I take it where it says "Free Download" beside "Buy for $30," that's just a trial version? ;)

Thanks!

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised that it wouldn't handle it directly, because I know at least iMovie supports the format, so you would think it could just a step to converting to Quicktime, considering the integration.

6. Sythena

Sythena Ensign Red Shirt

I think zamzar does it for free.

I've convereted a few files from there but never in that format

7. lucinesilver

lucinesilver Cadet Newbie

I suggest you to try Video Converter. I used it to convert .MTS to .MOV so as to transfer the videos shot by camcorder to Mac and play on QuickTime. It's quite easy to use.

8. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

I'm pretty sure a video conversion problem from four years ago doesn't need new input today. No matter how good input you have.

(Oh, and it might get you into trouble with the mods if you resurrect a lot of ancient threads.)

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I was gonna say, wow, T'Baio is a blast from the past. :lol:

Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.