News Control In Control

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by AutoAdmin, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

That's my thought, as well as my desperate hope, as well. Please, no Romulans, no Ferengi, no Cardassians and for the love of God, no Borg!

RedAlert and XCV330 like this.
  2. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Like most things in Discovery, he seems too advanced to be Borg.

Deledrius likes this.
  3. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain Captain

The Version of Control In Leyland is from the 28th(?) century, so that could explain the tech.

4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

The Borg weren't so much about advancement as they were about perfection.

5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Control... as in Ground Control in Space Oddity. And the Major is Gabrielle Burnham.

Control can't reach Gabrielle. She can't hear it even though it tries to reach her.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  6. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suspect that a very severely damaged version of control - perhaps just one nanoprobe - will be sent into the far past. Its basic imperatives to assimilate and improve itself will survive, but the background knowledge of Starfleet ca. 23rd century will be lost. The predilection for basic geometric shapes in space frame design (e.g., the sphere) will similarly be retained, leading to cubic starships. I think it will be implied that this is the Borg origin story, but never outright stated as fact.

Deledrius and Lord Garth like this.
  7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just assume they've been updated the same way everything else has.

The classic Borg concept is extremely outdated if you think about it. There was a Kelvin Universe academy novel which imagined them (or something heavily implied to be a scout of the Borg) as a swarm of nanites which took the form of whatever was needed.

8. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Like Replicators?
    I’ve never understood why they always feel the need to “update” everything for Star Trek. The Borg are fine as there are. If they want to do that, make it a new alien race.

Deledrius likes this.
  9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

If control is linked to the Borg, I hope not directly.

But I would be ok with it being defeated and destroyed, sent to the far past and distant space, lying around on a DQ planet where Alice Krige happens to find it and gets inspired to build her own cybernetic enhancements.

Deledrius likes this.
  10. F. King Daniel

I agree, but that's not the Discovery way. It's all updated to the 9's but still apparently the same continuity:shrug:

Deledrius likes this.
  11. Attentiveluke

Attentiveluke Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For those who are keen to say Control is the genesis of the Borg, a few points:-
    A) why didnt the Borg seem to know about the federation before Q who? And if they did why did they wait until then to come and attack? B) Why would the Borg travel back in time and assimilate earth in the 21st century, which would wipe Control out of the timeline?

Noname Given, RedAlert and XCV330 like this.
  12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

And why would Borg suddenly want to wipe out all life in the universe. that was never their function or interest. One can argue with their methods, but in some ways the goal of the Borgl is to preserve life, albeit in an enhanced and collective form.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  13. F. King Daniel

Why didn't Spock know cloaking devices were anything but theoretical in "Balance of Terror" when Klingons had been using them for 10 years in a war his own sister started? The time war in ENT was launched from a corrupted timeline that only existed as a result of the time war. You're applying far stricter continuity and logic than the makers of the shows do.

ITDUDE, BillJ and Turtletrekker like this.
  14. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is why control is probably not the Borg origin.

However control is probably using Borg tec it has access to so it can fulfil its objectives

Deledrius likes this.
  15. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I'm kinda getting a similar thing here, that Leland 2.0 may be the first borg.... eventually fails this current mission and retreats to the Delta quadrant to create the hive and drones in order to physically overpower, "control", the universe. None of this would surprise me tbh.

16. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    Yes to all except the Cardassians. Do you not follow Gul Dukat on Twitter? :cool:

17. Lord Garth

TOS didn't have Food Replicators but they did have Food Processors. The mechanics aren't the same but, effectively, they served the same purpose.

18. Lord Garth

Hell froze over. For once, we agree about something. I don't want Control to be the origin story for the Borg either.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  19. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe the Borg won‘t factor in at all.

Maybe at the end code fragments are recovered and given to the Daystrom M-5 Development Team?

Spot261 and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Borg were out to assimilate all life, not destroy it. That's why I'm sure they have nothing to do with Control.