Constitution class vessels in the 24th century...?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Hoshi_Mayweather, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

However, people who don't know (occasional viewers?) that Captain Kirk isn't supposed to show in the first season of TNG, might also don't know that the Enterprise-D is already destroyed in the timeframe of, let's say, DS9's 6th season.

I don't think that its unlikely that a occasional viewer sees a Galaxy-class starship in a Dominion War battle scene and says: "Hey, that's the Enterprise!" And as far as I understand it, that's the whole point why a Constitution-class starship didn't show up on TNG.

2. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

He did indeed. I don't remember what ship it was, but it was put together using various ship's parts. The bridge module for example came from the TOS Enterprise, because that ship's own had been destroyed.

3. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

Yes I know that (now, not when I first watched it). I was illustrating nx1701g's point.

somebuddyX likes this.
  4. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

The in universe reason was that the Excelsior class completely replaced the Constitution Class as Starfleet's work horse. This also explains why the Enterprise A was decomissioned so soon after entering service. I suspect that had the TNG era continued, we would have seen all 23rd century starships phased out completely. The Nova class was replacing the Oberth and the Akira/Nebula were replacing the Miranda

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had always suspected that that was due to an arms treaty. Starfleet decided to retire a number of Constitution-Class ships instead of their shiny, new Excelsiors.

6. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I have thought, and continue to prefer to think, that the majority of surviving Constitution and Enterprise class vessels were transferred to the service of individual Federation planetary defense forces, such as those of Andor, Earth, Betazed, etc. No longer Starfleet, but still in honorable service. :)

Or, they could have been sold (traded, given, whatever) to independent but friendly planetary governments. For all we know, they may be the heart of the Marquis fleet, purchased before the group was outlawed by the Federation, er sumtin.

7. Hoshi_Mayweather

Hoshi_Mayweather Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's a possibility.

I forget whether or not it was explained, but Damon Bok from the 'The Battle' happened to acquire the Stargazer, which Picard (and presumably Starfleet) didn't know about...so it's possible the Constitution-classes were dismantled, or sold, with some being put into a museum...as some have pointed out.

8. 2 of 10

2 of 10 Captain Captain

I got my information from the Star Trek Encyclopedia, the information is as follows...

It's Registry is NCC-956, it's class is indetified as Constitution and the Episode or Film was Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. And the operation it was on was called: Operation Retrieve and the year this operation took place was 2293...

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually the Eagle isn't specifically identified as any class. We never saw the term 'Constitution class' associated with it. And we certainly never saw the actual ship onscreen. All we did see, barely legible, was an ICON in the shape of a Connie. And that doesn't necessarily mean the Eagle was one. It could be just a generic representation of any starship.

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yup. The graphics seem to utilize just two types of symbol: an Excelsior-shaped one for NCC-2000 herself, and a refit-Constitution-shaped one for everything else. And it doesn't sound very likely that all these lesser ships, with registries ranging from 900s to 2000s, would be of the same class. They might be of the same rough size class, or mission class (cruiser), though.

Timo Saloniemi

11. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    I do remember that it was the Yorktown Scotty stole from a Starfleet museum in that novel. However, I think that somehow, the old bridge from Enterprise was put into the Yorktown. -- RR

12. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mirandas, Oberths, Excelsiors and Constellations are still seen in the 24th century, so it makes sense to me that Constitutions would too.

13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that works perfectly - one Constitution retired for each Excelsior built.

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

In Michael Jan Friedman's novel Reunion (about a reunion of the old 'gazer crew aboard the Enterprise-D), Picard's old first officer, Gilaad ben Zoma, commands the Lexington, a Constitution-class vessel.

I've always assumed the Connies were still out there; we simply never had cause to see them on screen.

15. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Wasn't it the bridge module they removed for the refit?

16. KlingonPredator

KlingonPredator Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think it would be safe to assume,and canon correct,that at least one survived into the 24th century. BOBW establishes that fact. If you take "Reunion" as canon,that makes two. I would think that Starfleet would take them out of service, put them someplace until possibly needed and recomission them. Metalin space won't rust and ships systems could be upgraded and the ships refitted as needed. I'm thinking you can put a lot of weaponry on one and use her for border or planetary defence missions, sort of a tweener between a Miranda and a Galaxy.

17. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Actually, at least twice we see Connies (or parts thereof) at Wolf, both in the "graveyard" scenes. One scene we see a saucer section with severe damage. The next we see the Engineering section with lifeboat hatches open.

The "self destructed "Enterprise" from ST III was used for both shots.

18. darkwing_duck1

The graphic artist who did those graphics was cited over at the Flare forums as saying that the icon represented the ship type.

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Got a link?

20. darkwing_duck1

Soon as a I get a chance, I'll go digging...it's an OLD post by now I'm sure.

If for some reason you don't hear back in a day or so shoot me a reminder.