Constitution class vessels in the 24th century...?

Interestingly, we saw lot of Galaxy-class starships on DS9.

Most of them appeared after the Enterprise-D had been destroyed. Notable exceptions are the Enterprise-D in the pilot and the Odyssey in season 2.

However, people who don't know (occasional viewers?) that Captain Kirk isn't supposed to show in the first season of TNG, might also don't know that the Enterprise-D is already destroyed in the timeframe of, let's say, DS9's 6th season.

I don't think that its unlikely that a occasional viewer sees a Galaxy-class starship in a Dominion War battle scene and says: "Hey, that's the Enterprise!" And as far as I understand it, that's the whole point why a Constitution-class starship didn't show up on TNG.

Come to think of it, didn't Scotty take the Enterprise--which was in a museum--to save or help one of his friends in the novel 'Crossover'?

He did indeed. I don't remember what ship it was, but it was put together using various ship's parts. The bridge module for example came from the TOS Enterprise, because that ship's own had been destroyed.

The in universe reason was that the Excelsior class completely replaced the Constitution Class as Starfleet's work horse. This also explains why the Enterprise A was decomissioned so soon after entering service. I suspect that had the TNG era continued, we would have seen all 23rd century starships phased out completely. The Nova class was replacing the Oberth and the Akira/Nebula were replacing the Miranda

The in universe reason was that the Excelsior class completely replaced the Constitution Class as Starfleet's work horse. This also explains why the Enterprise A was decomissioned so soon after entering service.

I had always suspected that that was due to an arms treaty. Starfleet decided to retire a number of Constitution-Class ships instead of their shiny, new Excelsiors.

I have thought, and continue to prefer to think, that the majority of surviving Constitution and Enterprise class vessels were transferred to the service of individual Federation planetary defense forces, such as those of Andor, Earth, Betazed, etc. No longer Starfleet, but still in honorable service. :)

Or, they could have been sold (traded, given, whatever) to independent but friendly planetary governments. For all we know, they may be the heart of the Marquis fleet, purchased before the group was outlawed by the Federation, er sumtin.

I have thought, and continue to prefer to think, that the majority of surviving Constitution and Enterprise class vessels were transferred to the service of individual Federation planetary defense forces, such as those of Andor, Earth, Betazed, etc. No longer Starfleet, but still in honorable service. :)

Or, they could have been sold (traded, given, whatever) to independent but friendly planetary governments. For all we know, they may be the heart of the Marquis fleet, purchased before the group was outlawed by the Federation, er sumtin.

That's a possibility.

I forget whether or not it was explained, but Damon Bok from the 'The Battle' happened to acquire the Stargazer, which Picard (and presumably Starfleet) didn't know about...so it's possible the Constitution-classes were dismantled, or sold, with some being put into a museum...as some have pointed out.

I found listing and Registry numbers for 14 Constitution class Star Ships. The last one in active service was the U.S.S. Eagle in 2293 it took part in the mission to Khitomer that same year.

Actually we have no idea if the Eagle was really a Connie. We never saw it onscreen. Only an icon on a map. And the use of the ship design *as* that icon doesn't mean anything; it could have been intended as a generic representation of any starship.

I got my information from the Star Trek Encyclopedia, the information is as follows...

It's Registry is NCC-956, it's class is indetified as Constitution and the Episode or Film was Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. And the operation it was on was called: Operation Retrieve and the year this operation took place was 2293...

Actually we have no idea if the Eagle was really a Connie. We never saw it onscreen. Only an icon on a map. And the use of the ship design *as* that icon doesn't mean anything; it could have been intended as a generic representation of any starship.

I got my information from the Star Trek Encyclopedia, the information is as follows...

It's Registry is NCC-956, it's class is indetified as Constitution and the Episode or Film was Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. And the operation it was on was called: Operation Retrieve and the year this operation took place was 2293...

Actually the Eagle isn't specifically identified as any class. We never saw the term 'Constitution class' associated with it. And we certainly never saw the actual ship onscreen. All we did see, barely legible, was an ICON in the shape of a Connie. And that doesn't necessarily mean the Eagle was one. It could be just a generic representation of any starship.

Yup. The graphics seem to utilize just two types of symbol: an Excelsior-shaped one for NCC-2000 herself, and a refit-Constitution-shaped one for everything else. And it doesn't sound very likely that all these lesser ships, with registries ranging from 900s to 2000s, would be of the same class. They might be of the same rough size class, or mission class (cruiser), though.

Timo Saloniemi

Didn't Picard mention to Scotty that he had seen a Constitution-class ship in the fleet museum? It doesn't sound likely that they were still in service.

Ouch!

They're in museum's! :lol:

Come to think of it, didn't Scotty take the Enterprise--which was in a museum--to save or help one of his friends in the novel 'Crossover'?

Even though I like the Constitution, I can see it being phased out at the time. Given that there are so many contemporary models (for those in the 24th century)...it would look a bit out of place.

I presume the Ambassador-class, as well as the Galaxy-class was to be a step up...

i think it was called the yorktown but yeah it was a connie

I do remember that it was the Yorktown Scotty stole from a Starfleet museum in that novel. However, I think that somehow, the old bridge from Enterprise was put into the Yorktown. -- RR

Mirandas, Oberths, Excelsiors and Constellations are still seen in the 24th century, so it makes sense to me that Constitutions would too.

The in universe reason was that the Excelsior class completely replaced the Constitution Class as Starfleet's work horse. This also explains why the Enterprise A was decomissioned so soon after entering service.

I had always suspected that that was due to an arms treaty. Starfleet decided to retire a number of Constitution-Class ships instead of their shiny, new Excelsiors.

I think that works perfectly - one Constitution retired for each Excelsior built.

Mirandas, Oberths, Excelsiors and Constellations are still seen in the 24th century, so it makes sense to me that Constitutions would too.
In Michael Jan Friedman's novel Reunion (about a reunion of the old 'gazer crew aboard the Enterprise-D), Picard's old first officer, Gilaad ben Zoma, commands the Lexington, a Constitution-class vessel.

I've always assumed the Connies were still out there; we simply never had cause to see them on screen.

Ouch!
They're in museum's! :lol:

Even though I like the Constitution, I can see it being phased out at the time. Given that there are so many contemporary models (for those in the 24th century)...it would look a bit out of place.

I presume the Ambassador-class, as well as the Galaxy-class was to be a step up...

i think it was called the yorktown but yeah it was a connie

I do remember that it was the Yorktown Scotty stole from a Starfleet museum in that novel. However, I think that somehow, the old bridge from Enterprise was put into the Yorktown. -- RR

Wasn't it the bridge module they removed for the refit?

I think it would be safe to assume,and canon correct,that at least one survived into the 24th century. BOBW establishes that fact. If you take "Reunion" as canon,that makes two. I would think that Starfleet would take them out of service, put them someplace until possibly needed and recomission them. Metalin space won't rust and ships systems could be upgraded and the ships refitted as needed. I'm thinking you can put a lot of weaponry on one and use her for border or planetary defence missions, sort of a tweener between a Miranda and a Galaxy.

Some of the kitbashed ships in "Best of Both Worlds II" used Connie parts, but I'm not aware of any complete ships of that class still around.

Actually, at least twice we see Connies (or parts thereof) at Wolf, both in the "graveyard" scenes. One scene we see a saucer section with severe damage. The next we see the Engineering section with lifeboat hatches open.

The "self destructed "Enterprise" from ST III was used for both shots.

Actually the Eagle isn't specifically identified as any class. We never saw the term 'Constitution class' associated with it. And we certainly never saw the actual ship onscreen. All we did see, barely legible, was an ICON in the shape of a Connie. And that doesn't necessarily mean the Eagle was one. It could be just a generic representation of any starship.

The graphic artist who did those graphics was cited over at the Flare forums as saying that the icon represented the ship type.

Back