Comparing the Sikarians to the Edo

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by picardo, Jul 19, 2013.

1. picardo

picardo Lieutenant Red Shirt

It appears as though these two peoples, although living in different corners of the universe, share a lot in common.

After a very simple comparison I conclude that:

- They both have a reputation for hospitality and friendliness.

- Their ultimate goal seems to be the obtainment of pleasure.

- Their forms of pleasure, seen through the lenses of Christian ethics, might be interpreted as lust and gluttony.

- They abide to very strict codes of government: i.e. The Sikarians not allowing technology transfer; the Edo respecting peace and public order.

Is it possible they're somehow related, perhaps they have made contact with each other, or just a coincidence?

2. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Who are the Sikarians? Which episode of which series were they in?

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure they're in the Voyager episode where Tuvok trades for a device that should allow Voyager to get home faster, but it doesn't work.

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would seem the Sikarians have adopted their form of behavior based on hard experience, whereas the Edo are innocents who might not even have met any space travelers before. The Edo live a sheltered life thanks to their God; the Sikarians shelter everybody else from their technological excellence. The two thus are somewhat opposite cases...

Timo Saloniemi

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can take a few random facts from any two cultures and suddenly declare them alike in the manner you just did. They're two different races with some similarities.

6. Jiangnan Freak

Jiangnan Freak Lieutenant

Do the Sikarians dress like the Edo?

7. picardo

picardo Lieutenant Red Shirt

I strongly agree with your analysis.

The Sikarians use some sort of tunic, they actually dress in clothes while the Edo barely wear any!