Commissioned fanart of Star Trek stuff...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Sadara, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

as rendered by Nightwing1975 on DeviantArt. For the most part the pieces include some fancharacters I've created, but there are and will continue to be canon characters as well.

http://stocaptainschair.blogspot.com/

There are a number of pieces so I've put them on a blog that has the images and links to the posts on Nightwing's DA. I'm working on a piece of fanfiction; but unfortunately I'm having to start over on my laptop as my desktop where I'd started the piece is down at the moment. I hope to have the first chapter up soon for anyone who is interested. In the meantime, I hope you all enjoy Nightwing's art.:bolian:

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Nice. I like your work a great deal. Your original costume design is pretty good, that brown wrap-a-round number with the rose trim would make William Ware Thiess proud! Great work. I only have two nits to pick: one, the poses seem stiff and mechanical (something I fight a lot in my own drawings so I notice it quickly). Especially the woman's head seems a little too rigid and unnatural. Secondly, I really dig the cell-shaded style. But it's weird how the faces are so much more smoothly rendered than the rest of the body. I suggest sticking to one style, either cell-shade the faces or else smoothly shade the rest.

Great stuff!

--Alex

3. Sadara

Thanks, but it's not my work. It's work I commissioned from an artist on DA. Links provided in my original post.

4. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Sadara does seem to have a very eye-catching wardrobe. Could this human-Vulcan hybrid possibly be a bit of an exhibitionist?

I like the Sadara adaptation on the TOS-era mini-skirt, more mini than skirt, of course. I like the lighter collar. I've always wanted to see a TOS-era female officer with a Pulaski-style "skant" and pants to look a little less sex-kittenish.

It would be neat to do a "Doctor Dehner" on this character on put her in a "Cage" era turtleneck-'n-trousers uni as well.

5. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very nice images, I have watched for a while on deviant.

6. Sadara

Hehe, thanks! I find it interesting to imagine what sort of clothing style she'd have so she'll likely have more outfits to come. Helps me to work out her personality. Exhibitionist, hmmm? Not sure, but I can tell you she and her chief engineer have been buddies since Starfleet Academy and karaoke night is their favorite thing so... maybe! Right now the next one in the works is the Mirror Universe outfit so unfortunately that won't be anything we all haven't seen before, but it should still be fun.

I got the ideas for the modified outfits and colors from Star Trek Online, truth be told. The uniforms are pretty customizable so when the standard colors didn't really fit Sadara's coloring or personality I sort of said "heck with it" and picked something that suited her better. Honestly, I was rather surprised the nitpickers didn't come after me though. :P

7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Beautiful work!

Are they hand drawn and Photoshop-enhanced, or all-computer-drawn?

8. Sadara

Thanks!

Good question. I'd have to ask Nightwing how he does his art as I've never asked him before.

He just redid all of his original series toons for anyone who wants to have a look.

9. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I visited NightWing's DeviantArt gallery and was blown away by the vast array of illustrations. Wow!

There are great TOS, Cage, TNG, TMP, DS9, VOY and ENT drawings there. (Though I didn't see any of Saavik) I loved the other stuff, too, especially characters from DALLAS and the 1970's BUCK ROGERS. There's even an I DREAM OF JEANIE in there, plus a toon drawing of 80's pop star Debbie Gibson.

I really loved the DOCTOR WHO drawings as well. A pity there are no Romana drawings, though.

It was enough to make me want to suggest NightWing try some other pop icons, like Sheryl Crow, Madonna, Shania Twain, George Michael, Bruce Springsteen, The Doors, and maybe characters from other TV favorites like STARGATE SG-1, ALL IN THE FAMILY, KNIGHT RIDER, The original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, The original HAWAII FIVE-O, SANFORD & SON and THE WALTONS.

One can dream.

10. Titan Designer

Titan Designer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yep his work is very impressive. I have a few of them in my favorites.