Civil War (Marvel Comics)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr Light, Jun 3, 2008.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know if this is a spoiler thread or whatever... but Spider-man's unmasking led to such a stupid retcon that regressed the character so much.

I mean, there's already Spider-man Loves Mary Jane... and Ultimate Spider-man... why go there AGAIN?

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah I think it's criminal that they erased the Spidey ID reveal. I haven't read the comics in ten years, but it seems to me like that's something that would really reinvigorate an aging franchise, generating all sorts of new and interesting stories.

Re: Cable

Again I haven't been reading in many years, but I thought Cable barely had any power whatsoever because the techno-organic virus sapped all of it.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^He lost to Gambit and then Bishop in various X-Men comics recently.

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

According to Millar, editorial only authorized the reveal because they already had OMD in the works (Millar voted against it).
    What's the matter with Cornell? His was far and away the best issue of the series so far (though Fraction's Hawkeye II one has a decent shot at being as good/better, given the subject) (and his new Captain Britain and MI: 13 is awesome).
    He doesn't have those powers anymore (although he seems to have a bit back now, but not much), ever since the Surfer lobotomized that part of his brain.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Paul Cornell used to have a column in SFX magazine. He made some very rude and disparaging remarks about Star Trek fans in one issue. I terminated my subscription at that point. I will not purchase anything he writes.

And yes, One More Day was advertised well ahead of it actually being published.

6. ArgentomaximusI

ArgentomaximusI Ensign

^Nonsense. We all know why you really hate Cornell.

It's because he wrote for Nuwho.

7. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My problems with CW are enormous, not with the basic concepts, but with the execution.

1 - Yeah, Reed and Tony are just like that, and this was only moreso. But I read one CW interview which said the writers of IM's own book didn't care how Tony came off in other books. Guys, Iron Man is cool and everything, and widely recognized. But he is GL to Spidey's Superman when it comes to whose book gets read more and more widely as well. Therefore, Tony's fascism in JMS books should have been of paramount concern, particularly the dialogue change from ASM to CW, when the two fell out. (Basically, in ASM, Tony said the detainees in the NZ were there for good; In CW, a side-quel from the same scene, Tony says they're only in til they register.)

2 - It was rushed. Stamford should have exploded early in the year, before CW started. Tony convinces Peter to unmask then and there. Maria Hill is after Cap via phone to head the cape-hunters, but events in his own life plus doubts cause him to blow her off. And so forth. Time was needed. Time to see how public opinion snapped against the New Warriors, instead of Nitro. Time to see both sides of Spidey's unmasking, good and bad. As it stands, only PAD's books even broached the good. Time to maybe see Cap's dithering over whether to lead the cape-hunters make Hill force a confrontation. They let SI build, so maybe they learned their lesson, but JQ can always override that.

3 - I am as anti-W as you are likely to find, but for pity's sake, keep politics and patchwork psychobabble out of this. Offender #1 - Sally Floyd's Facebook speech. If you haven't read it, please do, for it stinks. Lastly, drop this 'uniformity of opinion' crap, in this case regarding Robbie Baldwin. The one and only thing I've ever seen in RL resembling such was removing the Taliban after 9/11. Those few who protested were made to look like idiots, and given the vague purposelessness of Cap's campaign, maybe they were.

They had a good idea, but man, did they drop it all. JQ didn't like Peter/MJ, and he didn't like the New Warriors, and CW got rid of both. If the stuff I read about him on Tropes is true, oh man. God Help Marvel.

8. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree completely. Honestly they need to fire that asshat Joe Q and get a REAL editor in chief in. He's fuckin up the whole universe so much that it would take a whole and complete reboot to fix the problems.

I actually cheer when I see "Quesada" in the Daredevil movie get cut in two by that subway.

"That light at the end of the tunnel, it's not Heaven... its the A TRAIN!"

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Ooooooh, zombie thread gets resurrected because some random guy with 19 posts to his name wants to pick a fight.

"Nuwho" is worse off for having Cornell write for it. I make no apologies for my dislike of Phil Cornell and his opinions.